IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I remember looking for jobs on Long Island in 2005 after graduating and getting lowball offers like $38k/yr. And when I said no and that I wanted at least $45k/yr the recruiters would act astounded that I had the gall. After 8 months I gave up and took a job in SoHo Manhattan for $15/hr, which is essentially poverty levels. Then I slowly worked my way up from job to job.

$15/hr -> $45k/yr -> $55k/yr -> 75k/yr and onward. I was extremely pissed off in my initial job search because of how much student loan debt I had incurred in college.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We get a $20k bonus if we recruit active TS dudes (and they also get $20k). Figures I recruit a guy right when I'm quitting.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This thread needs some shit post Saturdays

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Scored an interview at googs and fintech company in NYC. Gonna go straight into liberal territory and liberate them from themselves.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After spending 18 months fighting an enormous backlog, within one week work went from OMG EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE to 'holy shit dead.' We have never been dead before. This is like deader than Christmas week dead. This is "LAYOFFS ARE COMING" dead. Which is hilarious, since they finally started posting the backlog of vacant reqs and are starting additional managers to handle the workload that... suddenly isn't here.

Either all of our customers cancelled their contracts at the end of Q1 or the warmer weather has caused our customers to venture outside, away from their server racks, so they aren't breaking their PBXes and SANs all damn fucking day.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Capital one reached out to me. After doing some research it seems like they'll label anyone a "software engineer," "master software engineer" etc.. Doing research on people with these titles there it seems like they just do devops, aws type shit - IT type stuff.

Anyone have any experience with capital one in virginia? Seems real fucking bait and switch.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I had a lot of buddies that worked for Capital One when they had a big office in WA state. They all liked it, but they did close down and lay them all off. It doesn't sound like they were doing anything too cutting edge on the IT front. I don't think I'd want to jump into the finance sector personally. The bulk of it is probably ERP shit like SAP or Oracle - which don't get me wrong, are high paying skills, just boring ones.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I had a lot of buddies that worked for Capital One when they had a big office in WA state. They all liked it, but they did close down and lay them all off. It doesn't sound like they were doing anything too cutting edge on the IT front. I don't think I'd want to jump into the finance sector personally. The bulk of it is probably ERP shit like SAP or Oracle - which don't get me wrong, are high paying skills, just boring ones.
Out of curiosity, what would be your top 3 sectors to work in?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Out of curiosity, what would be your top 3 sectors to work in?

I dunno if it's a sector per se but I'd like to do high speed R&D shit. I'd probably prefer defense since there's some pretty big problems to solve there - electronic warfare is going to be a huge thing in the coming years. I'm sure there will plenty of big tech companies involved as well, Cisco and MS for sure, so it would be cool to work for one of their R&D departments on defense related things.

Outside of that, I'm pretty happy where I'm at as a contractor for the SOF community.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think cybersecurity is the biggest threat right now and not 100% understood. Doesn't help that defense is filled with baby boomers about to retire

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Don't know why anyone would wanna get into DoD unless you wanna work 20 year old baselines and aged releases (python 2, 32 bit systems, etc).

Shit ain't glamorous. Skunk works maybe but the majority I've seen is making shitcakes out shitflour.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not really sure what that means. Any software you write is a product , maybe not THE product but a part of it

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Capital one reached out to me. After doing some research it seems like they'll label anyone a "software engineer," "master software engineer" etc.. Doing research on people with these titles there it seems like they just do devops, aws type shit - IT type stuff.

Anyone have any experience with capital one in virginia? Seems real fucking bait and switch.
They employ a shit ton of people and have been on the closer-to-cutting-edge as far as cloud and new tech than any other financial company. The RVA office isn't bad, but they do a lot of "management" and "division" shuffles with seemingly-random layoffs.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
They employ a shit ton of people and have been on the closer-to-cutting-edge as far as cloud and new tech than any other financial company. The RVA office isn't bad, but they do a lot of "management" and "division" shuffles with seemingly-random layoffs.
Seems like it could be a good jumper company.

I'm just going to be raging pissed tho if they tell me I'll be programming and doing dev work only to show up and configure some cloud instances and maybe do some scripting. If a company pulls bait and switch on me I'd stay for 3 months to try and work on out then just begone.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Seems like it could be a good jumper company.

I'm just going to be raging pissed tho if they tell me I'll be programming and doing dev work only to show up and configure some cloud instances and maybe do some scripting. If a company pulls bait and switch on me I'd stay for 3 months to try and work on out then just begone.
They've published a bunch of their cloud tools and stuff. I don't think they'd do a full bait & switch shit-sandwich routine, but I've never worked directly for them.

Links:

• 1Like