IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen a boot camp.kid get hired anywhere I've worked

When I was doing interviews at Sonic Healthcare the lead engineer and hiring manager said they hired 5 of them. The team I interviewed for at Adobe had them too. I think it's way more common than you think. The bootcamps developed by Google and Microsoft and what have you seem to be quite good.

All of them were UI guys though. Which makes sense to me. UI isn't necessarily hard to learn and the UI framework flavor of the year changes a lot.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
When I started at GM with a fresh CS I was making $58k. I made $86k my last year there. From what I understand this was relatively under market value (for Austin area) when it comes to direct salary. The benefits at GM make it worth it though.

I don't think it's unheard of to get $60k fresh out of graduation. I also know for a fact that certain code bootcamps (tough to find the "real" ones versus ones that just want your money) will absolutely land you $60k+ jobs. I've had hiring managers tell me directly they picked up kids from bootcamps teaching various in demand frameworks because it is just so efficient. You know for a fact they can work with X and that is what you need at the time. Get some bootcamp kid or hunt for a more expensive, experienced developer who isn't necessarily hungry at all.
Ya I mean it's relative. For the market these kids are in, average entry level software engineer salary is 50-60k. Unless you do front end, then u enjoy 40-45k

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have a hard time believing that fresh grads are getting $150k+ and $40k signing bonuses at some of these places. Clearly I'm applying to the wrong companies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have a hard time believing that fresh grads are getting $150k+ and $40k signing bonuses at some of these places. Clearly I'm applying to the wrong companies.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're unicorns. I had a friend who was on the university's programming team, and my school has consistently won Nationals beating MiT&co and gone to internationals. Of course he sent to Google. You get on the programming team and it guarantees you a job wherever the fuck you want.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Could be skewed by location too. For instance bay area pays substantially more. Also..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't believe that document at all. DARPA paying the big bucks with stock options and bonuses?

Vinen

God is dead

Its true. Google, Facebook, Netflix, etc all hire at this salary range (taking into account RSU grants, etc)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Boston is high COL but I've found they don't really pay at a level to meet that COL unless you work at google, amazon, VMWare, Oracle, etc. Akamai paid me like $85k and that's sort of laughable in that city.

My internship at EMC paid $24/hr and I felt like a million bucks at the time.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Actually most of the salaries look somewhat in range of what I would expect. Except DARPA paying out ends with stock options. That one I'm skeptical of... Oh and BNY Mellon paying a cool mil per year.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The starting salaries for the high COL areas make sense I do give it that. My friend is getting out of the Navy and got a job in San Jose making $130k. Which sounds pretty rough to me since a shitbox apartment is running you $2500. Since he has a wife and kid who probably don't want a shitbox it's going to be more like $4k a month. Plus CA taxes and shit... I love CA but would hate living there. Fuck.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think I made $75k at my first job out of school and that was more than anyone in my class (except the one guy that worked at the same place as me). A couple people now make significantly more than me but work in the city. That dude that worked with me is now at Google, but he has a condo in Cambridge so he's technically probably poorer than me.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was already 5 years into my career by the time I finished my BS. It's probably help a little bit, but I honestly think I could've gotten by without it. I've pretty much only worked for gov/gov contractors though so I guess it's a little different than corporate. Clearance + experience will pretty much guarantee I'll never be unemployed. I think I'm pretty much topped off in the low 100s for salary though. Some days I think about going for the money and jumping into some high tech as a federal pre-sales engineer or something like that, but I honestly can't see myself enjoying it long term.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think my ceiling is pretty high. This job I'm getting is only a Senior engineer role.. still several big bumps coming

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm going to be honest, I don't know. In school I imagined making this much money at the end of my career.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Boston is high COL but I've found they don't really pay at a level to meet that COL unless you work at google, amazon, VMWare, Oracle, etc. Akamai paid me like $85k and that's sort of laughable in that city.

My internship at EMC paid $24/hr and I felt like a million bucks at the time.
85k in Boston? Wtf? My buddy is 5-6 years out of college in Boston making 120k doing embedded.