IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If only Shadow Master was a job title. I create technical shortcuts with no oversight that the company is now completely dependent on and nobody other than me understands it. Also I didn't document shit so I'm indispensable now. Give me raises.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The guy that understands our code signing is on vacation this week. Our SHA1 cert expired last Friday...

• 3Worf
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
If only Shadow Master was a job title. I create technical shortcuts with no oversight that the company is now completely dependent on and nobody other than me understands it. Also I didn't document shit so I'm indispensable now. Give me raises.
At some of these companies it could! Heck at Palantir you can be a fucking "legal ninja."

I shit you not, look at their careers.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The guy that understands our code signing is on vacation this week. Our SHA1 cert expired last Friday...
This gives me joy.

I handled PKI for our entire 50k person company by myself for 9 months, and had to deal with shit constantly about it.
"You need to be available 24x7 for this."
"No, fire me."
"Can you meet at 3am?"
"No"
"8am?"
"Sure"

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
110k + 10k sign on bonus to be a "software engineer" aka IT.

Hard pass. I'd probably blow my brains out before month 3.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
110k + 10k sign on bonus to be a "software engineer" aka IT.

Hard pass. I'd probably blow my brains out before month 3.

What area is that in?

What kind of company is it? I've never heard of a hygiene department or whatever that just refactors code.

I also kind of hate the "engineering" title in IT. Or rather, I hate the lack of integrity that it has.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What area is that in?

What kind of company is it? I've never heard of a hygiene department or whatever that just refactors code.

I also kind of hate the "engineering" title in IT. Or rather, I hate the lack of integrity that it has.
It's banking.l in rva area. Have you even heard of a "hygiene" department? First time for me. If so what does that mean to you.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nah never heard of that being a thing. I've seen "maintenance coders," but those are usually old dudes who need something to do until retirement.

110k would be good money for the south though. If it's DC or the north east, that's not enough.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Nah never heard of that being a thing. I've seen "maintenance coders," but those are usually old dudes who need something to do until retirement.

110k would be good money for the south though. If it's DC or the north east, that's not enough.
It's real good money for the area but I don't feel like burning down my career potential so early in life. Would be taking two bits to the back of the head.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Yep. I was like. Wtf is a health and hygiene team as part of software engineering? Like you guys aren't Colgate or Dove soap. I don't get it.

Ooo fancy name for saying were IT and refactor everyone's shitty tech debt.

To me it sounds like it is an SRE team without using the more commonly used name. Site Reliability Engineering - Wikipedia At places like Google they often have teams that use a mix between SRE - Platforms (more IT/Sys Admin) and SRE - Software Engineering for more software developer type coverage.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
To me it sounds like it is an SRE team without using the more commonly used name. Site Reliability Engineering - Wikipedia At places like Google they often have teams that use a mix between SRE - Platforms (more IT/Sys Admin) and SRE - Software Engineering for more software developer type coverage.
Sounds about right! Now if only they would have used this god damn title and been upfront with what the fuck the teams do. Recruiter again straight up lied to me saying they do development when the lead said otherwise.

Gonna get the offer to tell them to get fucked (in a nicer way)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Use it as a chance to practice your negotiation skills
Negotiate what? I don't care about the money (to an extent). I care about the work. Out of the two groups I interviewed for they said this was the one they wanted to put me in.

No point in negotiating money if I won't do the work.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I've come to the conclusion I dislike managing, and may be looking for a pay cut to get my hands dirty as a sysadmin again soon.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've come to the conclusion I dislike managing, and may be looking for a pay cut to get my hands dirty as a sysadmin again soon.
Wait didn't we warn you about this?

Foler Foler what I mean was just toss some numbers at them, some benefits, some extra PTO, etc. Just so for the next job you really want you're confident about what you can ask for.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Foler Foler what I mean was just toss some numbers at them, some benefits, some extra PTO, etc. Just so for the next job you really want you're confident about what you can ask for.
Will do but I'll be honest, this seems to be overpay for the area so I'm not sure how relevant the info will be.

Just fucking salty I got sold a shit sandwich and this dicks won't admit it's IT and not development.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider

I mean, I was told it would be different, yeah. Its not like I've managed for 2 weeks and said fuck it. Coming up on 3 years in a managerial role. Just afraid I might be losing my edge as a tech, I suppose, is where I am sitting at now.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Starting to lose motivation. Dunno what to teach myself anymore. Been doing some spring boot and hibernate. Shit is kinda AIDS tho if you're new to backend/databases. Debating whether to keep slogging through spring and jump into nosql as well or shift over to python or back to JavaScript.

May be doomed to forever be full time shitposter on this forum. I hope not.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
110k + 10k sign on + 10k relocation I can keep even if I don't use all of it.

No budging. Recruiter seemed a little pissy when I hinted I'd have to look at the docs and another company is supposed to be getting back to me (not really true) but fuck him and all 4 interviewers for being disingenuous pieces of shit. Jokes on them if they think money is a key deciding factor.

Fuck that. 2 years into my last job I wanted to blow my brains out every other day after work. Not doing that again. Honestly just want some place where I can be relatively happy, I know it'll never be perfect.