IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
True story. We have a guy who works here who refused laptops and told IT he'd only use a desktop. Never works from home, doesn't believe in it. Just recently they forced our office closed and he had to get a loaner laptop to work from home and he hates it. This is a single dude, early 40s, avid gamer. I just can't understand why he's so against it.

He's too stupid to buy a cheap KVM to extend his laptop to his home monitors and use his mouse and keyboard? Or just buy another cheap mouse and keyboard for use with the laptop?

I'm just picturing some idiot cursing at his trackpad with his laptop literally in his lap, complaining he can barely see his screen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah but our company said take home anything you need - I brought home two 24 inch monitors, mouse, keyboard, dock, etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does a KVM impact display lag? I'm using a switch for my usb peripherals, but I was worried about doing the same for my monitors.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Some people need that distinction of having work at work and home at home. tbh I struggled with that when I first started working from home.

My KVm has a noticable, annoying delay when switching monitors. But it doesn't have any latency when actually switched.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does a KVM impact display lag? I'm using a switch for my usb peripherals, but I was worried about doing the same for my monitors.
I think they do. I stopped using a KVM after using Mouse Without Borders or Synergy.

Khane

Yeah but our company said take home anything you need - I brought home two 24 inch monitors, mouse, keyboard, dock, etc.

Yea but maybe he has a wife who won't clean off the tables in the house so he has nowhere to set up another system.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think they do. I stopped using a KVM after using Mouse Without Borders or Synergy.
I don't want any network connectivity between my home machine and my work machine(s).
True story. We have a guy who works here who refused laptops and told IT he'd only use a desktop. Never works from home, doesn't believe in it. Just recently they forced our office closed and he had to get a loaner laptop to work from home and he hates it. This is a single dude, early 40s, avid gamer. I just can't understand why he's so against it.
I'm assuming he wanted a desktop so he could do full work separation (work stays at work), and now he's all pissy that the pandemic is fucking that up.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Heavy typing on a laptop keyboard is equivalent to aids?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am

Console or PC gamer? 'Cause I'm willing to say that it's console. I remember once working for IBM, and some of the guys there were just like, "Why do I want a computer at my house when I have all the computers that I need here?"

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Do they go out through separate modems or something? Or are they just on separate VLANs?
VLANs/wireless networks. The only place the traffic touches is at the router. If I need something from one, I'll upload it to OneDrive or GoogleDrive (or more likely, email it between the two). Most of the time there isn't any necessary contact except for HR related shit (e.g. submitting child-care reimbursement receipts, forwarding retirement info or travel itinerary to myself/my wife).

The less connectivity my person stuff and work stuff have, the better it is, and I don't want to install synergy on both devices to let them talk to each other. Just what I need is pasting the wrong thing into the wrong window and flagging some DLP bullshit. Or infecting my home network with malware from work.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
VLANs/wireless networks. The only place the traffic touches is at the router. If I need something from one, I'll upload it to OneDrive or GoogleDrive (or more likely, email it between the two). Most of the time there isn't any necessary contact except for HR related shit (e.g. submitting child-care reimbursement receipts, forwarding retirement info or travel itinerary to myself/my wife).

The less connectivity my person stuff and work stuff have, the better it is, and I don't want to install synergy on both devices to let them talk to each other. Just what I need is pasting the wrong thing into the wrong window and flagging some DLP bullshit. Or infecting my home network with malware from work.
I have my computers on separate IPv4 VLANs but I do allow Mouse Without Borders to send UDP traffic on IPv6 between the devices. Mouse without Borders is a Microsoft product and signed with the Microsoft cert so it doesn't show up as anything weird on the endpoint scanner, and I have clipboard sharing disabled so I don't accidentally shitpost or leak customer info.

It's worked pretty good for 5 years with no leakage between the two.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Laptop docks are a thing... Haven't owned a desktop in 10 years. Running a caldigit ts3+ on eizos. Baller.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Laptop docks are a thing... Haven't owned a desktop in 10 years. Running a caldigit ts3+ on eizos. Baller.

My home PC is a regular PC tower. Just because its so easy to replace shit in it and cheap. Work is Macbook which becomes a 3 monitor setub (including macbook screen). It works very well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have my dock and two monitors for work and my home PC and two monitors. I've wondered if I should just buy a kvm though

Khane

I have a ghetto KVM switch with my docked work laptop right next to my PC monitors that I switch back and forth as needed.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't really bother with KVM. My monitors autodetect input and I just move my usual keyboard out the way and put the Magic Keyboard/Mouse work gave me in its place.

Khane

Is that via software or do your monitors have input jacks and they automatically switch based on what keyboard you hit a key on?

I've been meaning to look into a software "KVM" option but have just been too lazy.