IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is compounded by the fact that a lot of the shit you would be working on has not integrated, and never will, the more modern features that have been jerry rigged into COBOL systems. Such as OOO principles and the use of libraries.

So, "hey Dave we need a Datediff() for whatever" becomes a two week development process because you can't just use a standardized library in your ancient mainframe nor is it even a core feature. You need to spend two weeks developing it or reusing boilerplate code for the most basic shit.

Talk about AIDS.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This is compounded by the fact that a lot of the shit you would be working on has not integrated, and never will, the more modern features that have been jerry rigged into COBOL systems. Such as OOO principles and the use of libraries.

So, "hey Dave we need a Datediff() for whatever" becomes a two week development process because you can't just use a standardized library in your ancient mainframe nor is it even a core feature. You need to spend two weeks developing it or reusing boilerplate code for the most basic shit.

Talk about AIDS.

In a past life I worked on a large application in Informix 4gl... which did not use libraries. We had some (no shit) 50k line "programs" that ran userland screens.

Because there were no libraries, if you wanted to change how the system did something, you'd have to change it in 20-30 places depending on what it was. Complete insanity.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
My first job offer out of University finishing a CS program was to work at Raymond James Financial in Tampa, Florida. Where they would have trained me to be a COBOL developer. Now, I had only heard of COBOL from my Dad who learned some of it at university back in the 70s. Also from a few older professors who mentioned it because groups like Raymond James had been approaching the university to start teaching COBOL again rickity tick. They were planning on donating a ton of money to get this going.

So I took some tutorials on it and shit and gagged. ENJOY YOUR CAREER.

View attachment 262291

Its really not that bad, but I'm willing to take money to do it, for whoever is unwilling.

However I'm not moving to any big shitty city.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If anything I think not only are companies waking up to the fact that 99% of our work can be done remotely, but employees are waking up to the fact that it's more.productive.for them too. Dell had a goal to have 50% of work be remote by 2020. 99% of the company is remote right now.

Ada is pretty fuckin bad too AND it's not useful.anywhere out of defense

media-1157420-1619fig1-pg36.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
employees are waking up to the fact that it's more.productive.for them too.

We all know the type of employee that can be trusted to actually work while at home will be more productive, and the employee that can't be trusted even when they're sitting in a cubicle 2 feet away from their boss is going to spend more time trying to concoct stories about why *current project* is off timeline than actually doing any work. There are also the people who can't get anything done right now because their children are home too.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If anyone wants to be the savior of NJ:

The Hercules System/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture Emulator

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We all know the type of employee that can be trusted to actually work while at home will be more productive, and the employee that can't be trusted even when they're sitting in a cubicle 2 feet away from their boss is going to spend more time trying to concoct stories about why *current project* is off timeline than actually doing any work. There are also the people who can't get anything done right now because their children are home too.
That's true on all accounts. I'm glad our work is flexible where if you have kids they say work whatever hours you can, even if it's super late instead.

We've had some troubles with no one being in the office but we could get away with going in once in awhile.

Only problem I have is my kids are loud as fuck and twitch is getting super boring

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Do you guys have a favorite keyboard for coding?
Das model s with mx blues. If you're working in an open office I'd suggest going with mx brown keys. Blues are pretty damn loud. Browns should be quieter, dunno how much tho as I've only ever owned blues.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Been doing a lot of microservice architecture in spring utilizing Netflix OSS. Also started learning node.js and spun up a few apps. Been a ton of fun, esp playing with everything microservice related spring/Netflix oss has to offer. Pretty cool to be able to see problems and identify whether spring or nodejs is a better solution and whether or not to use monolithic vs microservice architecture.

Just started dabbling in angular now. Been utilizing templating engines like thymeleaf, handlebars and Pug for implementing front end but wanted to try a different approach that has some upsides (and of course some downsides).

Anyone in here do much Spring stuff?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the general rule for publishing build artifacts to gitlab? Should they be free of runtime dependencies? On one hand, I understand not wanting to statically link everything. But should you reasonably expect someone to install a dependency in this context(it's going to be mainly reused by other gitlab runners)?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No because big finance employs a ton of them and anybody who has to run old mainframe shit for any reason (lots of places) will need them too.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The problem isn't the COBOL. I bet anyone of us could write decent COBOL within 2 days with just the internet for reference. The problem are the systems themselves. Those old S390s are worlds apart from the x86/windows/linux that we know and love.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When this first started going around about two weeks ago someone linked an article and the dipshit that wrote it called it COBALT the entire time lol.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Should just fire the people who can't work remote and let everyone work remote.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Should just fire the people who can't work remote and let everyone work remote.
True story. We have a guy who works here who refused laptops and told IT he'd only use a desktop. Never works from home, doesn't believe in it. Just recently they forced our office closed and he had to get a loaner laptop to work from home and he hates it. This is a single dude, early 40s, avid gamer. I just can't understand why he's so against it.

• 1Picard
  • 1WTF