IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've been using a lot of C#, MS mitigated a lot of the issues with powershell in the past few years and increased the logging capabilities, so the industry shifted to C#. New .NET stuff is implementing some of the same logging etc that powershell had so time to get a needle and a strong magnet I guess, we're going manual. The push has been for people to start using C/C++ which I am loathe to really get into. It's rough, I don't see my future in exploit dev or writing frameworks or anything, I'm normally just writing pretty small payloads.

Past few weeks have been focused on automating some infrastructure with ansible. I like ansible a hell of a lot better than I liked salt, but having a lot of trouble managing/installing IPA client without just hardcoding passwords all over the place.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Okay, I've gotta question for all of you coders out there.

How often is it that you ship out a completely new product? From what I'm reading, the main job of a programmer is just to update and maintain code? Maybe fix a couple'a things. I hardly ever hear about, "I sat down one day and out popped this brand new project..."

And what is the turn around time for that? I understand that the longer a code base is, the longer it's its development time will be, just a rough guesstamation?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Uh. I did like 7 started from nothing projects in my time at General Motors. Bear in mind these were products designed for internal use within GM Financial only and never saw the light of day anywhere else.

ShakyJake

<Donor>

How often is it that you ship out a completely new product? From what I'm reading, the main job of a programmer is just to update and maintain code? Maybe fix a couple'a things. I hardly ever hear about, "I sat down one day and out popped this brand new project..."

And what is the turn around time for that? I understand that the longer a code base is, the longer it's its development time will be, just a rough guesstamation?
Our company made the huge mistake of going with Silverlight back in 2008. Around 2016 we started a re-write using .NET Core and Angular. Here it is 2020 and we still haven't finished, although most of the major functionality is complete. However, I think most of our customers are still using the Silverlight verison. This will all come to end quickly, I assume, since support for IE11 is ending soon or has ended?

Now, another product I work on is a .NET WebForms application that was originally written back in the early .NET Framework days (early to mid 2000s). This one we are simply maintaining with bug fixes and occasional feature updates. It really could use a re-write, but the company isn't going to spend any money on that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Java... the Apple of programming languages.

"Did you see this awesome new feature in the latest version of Java?"
"Yea... C# had that three versions ago"
Yeah but it's all about the entire environment my man. All the frameworks and tools. Spring Boot is tits.

Also kotlin.

Bunch of haters. I will make believers out of you.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, not sure why people are talking about Java here. If I wanted to learn a strongly typed language that has C-style syntax, I'd choose C# over Java any day of the week.
Job market.. Java isn't going anywhere. Especially the JVM. Among all the nifty frameworks and tools available for Java, the shining superstar is pivotal's support behind Spring. The level of support they've put into developing spring shows their dedication. It instills confidence that they aren't going anywhere and they'll keep on making spring better and better. It's been enough dedication for Netflix to decide to stop developing their own spring based libraries (which were then pushed back into springs library) and use the ones pivotal has started to make for spring rather than use Netflix's in their source.

It's nice because it's very centralized with tons of knowledge versus something like node where it's the wild west as far as a central support, structure, etc goes (I mean that's nodes model so it is what it is).

Like I said. Different tools in the toolbox for different tasks.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

That's a question that's only real answer is "it depends."

Yeah you'll often work with legacy code but it just depends. Go work for an existing DoD product and you may be working with a 20 year old code baseline. Go with with Uber and you may be developing code from scratch. Can also be reversed.

I mean turn around time depends. What is the product? Is it just a new feature? Are we doing agile? If so how long are sprints?

The Mythical Man Month is a good book on this.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but it's all about the entire environment my man. All the frameworks and tools. Spring Boot is tits.

Also kotlin.

Bunch of haters. I will make believers out of you.
TIOBE has kotlin below COBOL :D

• 1Salty

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I get that, but for learning I would go with C# since those skills are easily transferable to Java. C# is a far more pleasurable language and platform to work with.
I see more job reqs asking either specifically for Java or for "Java, c++, or xyz." I'd look at the market and what I want to do and make a decision.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Angular is kinda aids. Been playing around with it for a few weeks. Prob just burned out from learning so much shit the past 4 months Should I say fuck it and move over to react or Vue or stay the course? 🤔

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I see more job reqs asking either specifically for Java or for "Java, c++, or xyz." I'd look at the market and what I want to do and make a decision.
/shrug. I do plenty of interviews and I know that if someone applies for one of our positions and marks down they know Java, I automatically know they'll have no problem with C#. Vice versa is true of course.

Angular is kinda aids. Been playing around with it for a few weeks. Prob just burned out from learning so much shit the past 4 months Should I say fuck it and move over to react or Vue or stay the course? 🤔
It's not aids at all. Right tool for the job and all that, but Angular is nice in the respect that it has EVERYTHING you need. Vue and React are more like a library. Need routing? Gotta find a routing library. Need HTTP? Gotta find a HTTP library. Not a big deal, of course, since both will have their common recommendations. But with Angular you know Google maintains it all.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
/shrug. I do plenty of interviews and I know that if someone applies for one of our positions and marks down they know Java, I automatically know they'll have no problem with C#. Vice versa is true of course.

It's not aids at all. Right tool for the job and all that, but Angular is nice in the respect that it has EVERYTHING you need. Vue and React are more like a library. Need routing? Gotta find a routing library. Need HTTP? Gotta find a HTTP library. Not a big deal, of course, since both will have their common recommendations. But with Angular you know Google maintains it all.
Thanks. That's the perspective I was looking for. Gonna stick with angular.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I wrote new features pretty much every day and sometimes debug field issues. These features might get carried across generations. For instance our BIOS dev time for a project is a few years, and we carry stuff forward and also write new stuff. There's no way were popping a bios out for a new platform in a single day. I'd consider adding features as "popping out a brand new thing" rather than the nebulous bigger project you're talking about.

If I just maintained code like I did at Raytheon if kill myself

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also unrelated to anything really but I know at least Foler will appreciate it since he enjoys books:

2nd edition of Accelerated C++ in the works. Unnnnnngggghhhh.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also unrelated to anything really but I know at least Foler will appreciate it since he enjoys books:

2nd edition of Accelerated C++ in the works. Unnnnnngggghhhh.
I think I have first edition on the shelf haven't read. Balls deep in microservice architecture books. I own way too many books/textbooks. It's a problem.