IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So these on-sale Udemy classes might be a decent first step to take? I've basically got nothing but time the next 3-6 months as the Estate sale processes and the School remains closed, so probably going to go pretty hard into things now to see what I can do before work creeps back into the picture.
Yeah only buy on sale for cheap. Quality depends on class. I prefer teamtreehouse production quality way more but I have an library from udemy that I've gone through.

Bootcamps tend to way over promise and under deliver. Thing is with software dev is that you'll always be learning and having to teach yourself so if you already require a bootcamp to get motivated then that's prob a litmus test.

What do you want to learn?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well, right now just going to get back up to speed with the C++ and XML since that's what I have a past basis in. My Dad was an information security/audit guy and I was the editor for all his papers/books, so I've got decent familiarity base with that subject matter from contact. I figure if I can't get a job coding, learning more about coding will at least improve my credentials for technical writing (Masters in English being one of my advanced degrees). Might try to find work on/develop some remote learning software/application, since I've got a background in education. The tools the local schools have right now suck and feel like they were developed in 94.

And yeah, already familiar with the need to be constantly learning, I'm fine with that, I love learning new shit :) The bootcamp thought was mostly from a place of assuming most recruiters want a piece of paper that says you did a thing more than they actually know/care about your ability, since that's been rampant in every other field I've been in.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well, right now just going to get back up to speed with the C++ and XML since that's what I have a past basis in. My Dad was an information security/audit guy and I was the editor for all his papers/books, so I've got decent familiarity base with that subject matter from contact. I figure if I can't get a job coding, learning more about coding will at least improve my credentials for technical writing (Masters in English being one of my advanced degrees). Might try to find work on/develop some remote learning software/application, since I've got a background in education. The tools the local schools have right now suck and feel like they were developed in 94.

And yeah, already familiar with the need to be constantly learning, I'm fine with that, I love learning new shit :)
Skip xml. You wanna do web app stuff skip c++. I mean do c++ for now, just reevaluate your knowledge and interests in a month or two before you get too heavily invested.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Find what language is most wanted in the area you want to work and learn that.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Watch yourself round these parts though. Whole lotta unjustified JVM haters here. Just sayin.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Ps 1) learn python. 2) java code looks like aids.

• 1Salty

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had to write java at Raytheon and I felt like I was doing baby's first programming language

• 1Salty

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I had to write java at Raytheon and I felt like I was doing baby's first programming language
I mean I love c and Java. Would I use them for the same thing? Newp.

Good to keep multiple tools in the ole toolbox.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Does webstorm have somethinig like Remote SSH? That extension has been great, especially since working from home over a VPN. Building a sandbox(10M+ LoC) locally takes days due to cache hits.
It might? It's not something I've used. JetBrains offers free trials of their products so give it a whirl.
Any angular people here?

Have a SPA and want to only change part of the page when user clicks something. Like create new object button click makes a form appear in the center of the page.

What's the best way to route this without hashing out the same HTML/css templates in each component? I'm sure this is a basic routing question. Just trying to think of how to structure this.
I'm become pretty adept at Angular 2+, I assume you're speaking of this and not the old Angular.js

Anyway, I'm not sure routing is necessarily how you would accomplish this? Not quite sure what exactly you're trying to do, but ideally you'd make a component which has an embedded form and make that appear where ever you want.

Maybe if you can create a mock-up I'd have a better idea what you're going for. Or, if you have a GitHub repo I can take a look at your code.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It might? It's not something I've used. JetBrains offers free trials of their products so give it a whirl.

I'm become pretty adept at Angular 2+, I assume you're speaking of this and not the old Angular.js

Anyway, I'm not sure routing is necessarily how you would accomplish this? Not quite sure what exactly you're trying to do, but ideally you'd make a component which has an embedded form and make that appear where ever you want.

Maybe if you can create a mock-up I'd have a better idea what you're going for.
Yeah I mean what you said is the way to do it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For our stuff often I need to search the entire repo to find stuff, it's crazy but I'm developing our code that's on top of EDK2 that's on top of Intel. So while sometimes I can search only in certain folders, most of the time I'm at the top level.

It's also not a VS project or anything, Im just pulling in the repo and using it raw. For awhile it couldn't auto find stuff but automatically the other day it started

I'd scope out for a tool or winscp type extension (or even just winscp/cyberduck I guess) with a strong search engine. Def a clunky way to do it but it would prob be better than what you're doing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ps 1) learn python. 2) java code looks like aids.

Java is just such a god damn verbose language compared to anything else. What takes 1 line in python or 2 lines in even C is somehow 10 fucking lines in Java.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Java is just such a god damn verbose language compared to anything else. What takes 1 line in python or 2 lines in even C is somehow 10 fucking lines in Java.
Eh totally depends on what you're doing.. Usually Java is less code than C from my experience. Totally depends on frameworks you're using too. Need to spin up a rest API? Java in spring boot abstracts a lot of stuff away. If you wanna get rid of even more boilerplate code then add lombok.

But all problems solved with kotlin! What takes 20 line in Java is 1 line in kotlin!

1 JVM language to rule them all...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd scope out for a tool or winscp type extension (or even just winscp/cyberduck I guess) with a strong search engine. Def a clunky way to do it but it would prob be better than what you're doing.
We have a strong IDE others use but it's not "smart" in pulling in new files when people add or remove to git. So you often have to add the files manually. I might just learn to use it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Java... the Apple of programming languages.

"Did you see this awesome new feature in the latest version of Java?"
"Yea... C# had that three versions ago"

• 1Potato

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Java... the Apple of programming languages.

"Did you see this awesome new feature in the latest version of Java?"
"Yea... C# had that three versions ago"
Yeah, not sure why people are talking about Java here. If I wanted to learn a strongly typed language that has C-style syntax, I'd choose C# over Java any day of the week.

• 1EyeRoll

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Because Java is used everywhere...

My company's product is all in Java. Salesforce, that I develop on a lot these days, is in their own version of Java-like syntax.

• 1Like