IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As far as text editors go I really like Sublime Text.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I noticed recently that my vscode can now shift click on functions and they'll bring you to the definition (forget what that features called). Not sure if that's a new feature or if it's always been there, but it was never working in vscode before for me

Only thing I wish they'd update is their file search is garbage. I wish it would open a new tab with the results rather than that tiny sidebar. The code I'm working on is 10s of thousands of files

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I noticed recently that my vscode can now shift click on functions and they'll bring you to the definition (forget what that features called). Not sure if that's a new feature or if it's always been there, but it was never working in vscode before for me

Only thing I wish they'd update is their file search is garbage. I wish it would open a new tab with the results rather than that tiny sidebar. The code I'm working on is 10s of thousands of files
Pretty sure you can just have it show you a subset of the files? Like for the folder you're in it will only show you the contents of that one folder and the parent. If that's too big just add a few more folders to make it manageable?

Find definition is always just highlight and press F12 in Visual Studo. Has been for as long as I've used it which is like 9 years now I guess? Do you use ReSharper?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I use VSCode mostly these days. Most other devs I know absolutely swear by IntelliJ.
Intellij is titsssssssssss. Love it for all things Java/kotlin.

For basic html, css, js I use vscode.

For angular I've been using webstorm.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So how fucked would I be if I tried to get into coding/it stuff at 34? Too old/late? I know C++ and XML from personal projects, but I assume that's basically baby-shit at this point.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So how fucked would I be if I tried to get into coding/it stuff at 34? Too old/late? I know C++ and XML from personal projects, but I assume that's basically baby-shit at this point.

If you're good at logic or willing to figure it out that's really all it takes.

I think the youth factor is to be up and up on the constantly changing tool/framework landscape. Which isn't as important as some make it out to be imo.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

I think the youth factor is to be up and up on the constantly changing tool/framework landscape. Which isn't as important as some make it out to be imo.

I'm glad I work with software that doesn't have a million different libraries/frameworks/dev tools. I'm sure the weekly arguments in every "scrum meeting" about which framework is the best and what new dev tools are in style for Memorial Day weekend are wonderful to listen to.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd rather teach someone to code(or really any skill) who shows the propensity to learn than hire someone that knows how to code but is stuck in their ways.

However, the above might as well be a platitude. Someone with the motivation to be a go-getter and self learner will likely have learned how to code anyway. I have a subordinate that I've been trying to teach programming and so little of it actually sticks. He's also a lazy asshole. I don't think those are unrelated.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Any angular people here?

Have a SPA and want to only change part of the page when user clicks something. Like create new object button click makes a form appear in the center of the page.

What's the best way to route this without hashing out the same HTML/css templates in each component? I'm sure this is a basic routing question. Just trying to think of how to structure this.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

You wouldn't be fucked. How good is your C++? C++ is still used a ton in financial industry, gaming, DoD to name a few.. I mean if you have the logic down picking up new languages isn't hard.

Yeah it just depends on what you wanna do and what industry you work in.

Kuro Kuro you could find lots of jobs using 20 year old c++ baselines or newer ones that don't require you to constantly learn new frameworks/tools/languages. The expectations on knowledge of languages/frameworks/tools will look different from industry to industry, DoD companies may not adopt new stuff often due to security reqs while Uber is researching the latest language/framework to optimize certain aspects of their architecture.

Number #1 thing is you have to enjoy it and be committed as fuck. I'd always suggest constantly learning.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Pretty sure you can just have it show you a subset of the files? Like for the folder you're in it will only show you the contents of that one folder and the parent. If that's too big just add a few more folders to make it manageable?

Find definition is always just highlight and press F12 in Visual Studo. Has been for as long as I've used it which is like 9 years now I guess? Do you use ReSharper?
For our stuff often I need to search the entire repo to find stuff, it's crazy but I'm developing our code that's on top of EDK2 that's on top of Intel. So while sometimes I can search only in certain folders, most of the time I'm at the top level.

It's also not a VS project or anything, Im just pulling in the repo and using it raw. For awhile it couldn't auto find stuff but automatically the other day it started

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thanks for the replies, going to spend the summer re-familiarizing/updating myself and then see about tests or bootcamps in the area and cheap learning stuff for other common systems. I figure with the plague ain't nobody hiring in the next 6 months anyway. Made a lot of life choices in my 20s that were optimized for taking care of mom, not for living my life afterward.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My only recommendation would be to learn/keep learning a strongly typed language. It's good to know C and a scripting language pretty well.

But don't do Javascript unless you are all about doing front end... for some bizarre reason. *gag*

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the replies, going to spend the summer re-familiarizing/updating myself and then see about tests or bootcamps in the area and cheap learning stuff for other common systems. I figure with the plague ain't nobody hiring in the next 6 months anyway. Made a lot of life choices in my 20s that were optimized for taking care of mom, not for living my life afterward.
Noooo for the love of God don't do a bootcamp. That shit is such a scam. You can literally teach everything to yourself for free or via teamtreehouse, udemy etc. Seriously it's just a racket to put people in debt promising them 110k jobs with 30k signing bonus and a free Tesla.

People are still hiring.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I barely recognize modern C++. The best ++ is just C with a cpp extension imho

C is a beautiful language. Love writing algorithms in it and using for embedded.

My only recommendation would be to learn/keep learning a strongly typed language. It's good to know C and a scripting language pretty well.

But don't do Javascript unless you are all about doing front end... for some bizarre reason. *gag*

JS can be super useful for all the jobs out there wanting angular, Vue, react, node, etc.

He's right tho, JS is aids but I do like node. Weakly typed - is true, That's what typescript is for TJT TJT , duhh 😉

But I'd agree, don't spend too much time diverging from what you're familiar with. Pick an industry you're interested in and find what languages, tools and frameworks they use.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
This angular code I've written is a hot dumpster fire. But hey I'm pressed for time and it works!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Would I be a bad person if I say, onboarded for 2 other remote positions?

Asking for a friend I don't have.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Noooo for the love of God don't do a bootcamp. That shit is such a scam. You can literally teach everything to yourself for free or via teamtreehouse, udemy etc. Seriously it's just a racket to put people in debt promising them 110k jobs with 30k signing bonus and a free Tesla.

People are still hiring.
So these on-sale Udemy classes might be a decent first step to take? I've basically got nothing but time the next 3-6 months as the Estate sale processes and the School remains closed, so probably going to go pretty hard into things now to see what I can do before work creeps back into the picture. Wasn't aware that the bootcamps were seen as scams, although thinking back on it I don't know anyone who actually went to one and does programming work.