IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Heh my company laptop is very high end and I can get almost anything. Govt one? 20lb piece of complete useless shit that has trouble opening pdfs

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Hehe...large scale govt *security* and bureaucracy is hillarious, always was, is, and will be an annoying joke. Things were so much simpler in the mainframe only days: security? top notch! network threats? None! GUI ? model 3270 terminal cursor weeee. Ya, I am NOT advocating going back in time for everyone, as in some ways it was the dark ages under IBMs (mostly) iron fist, but even today the mainframe hardware, environment and tools still have many advantages over todays more modern open systems. Anyone here know JCL, or is familiar with the software stack and use of test, certification and production environment partitions on mainframes?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Heh my company laptop is very high end and I can get almost anything. Govt one? 20lb piece of complete useless shit that has trouble opening pdfs
The mouth breather @ gsa who is in charge of the purchase order probably cant find a business that is owned by a blind native american lesbian thats missing 3 limbs that sells them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Hehe...large scale govt *security* and bureaucracy is hillarious, always was, is, and will be an annoying joke. Things were so much simpler in the mainframe only days: security? top notch! network threats? None! GUI ? model 3270 terminal cursor weeee. Ya, I am NOT advocating going back in time for everyone, as in some ways it was the dark ages under IBMs (mostly) iron fist, but even today the mainframe hardware, environment and tools still have many advantages over todays more modern open systems. Anyone here know JCL, or is familiar with the software stack and use of test, certification and production environment partitions on mainframes?

AS/400 techs are increasingly ancient but in high demand. They all look like hairband rejects stuck in the '80's.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You should be a smartass and remind them how many of those "vetted" things in the past had heartbleed.

Ugh, god, fucking government customers...how old IE?

I don't even know what version it is. Its at least one of the newer ones I think. I don't do any personal browsing on it so I don't care.

Who would I even complain to? It's just endless forms and management levels. I don't even really care as long as they have the tools I need. I mean.. I need to write in Ada, you saw that part right?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
AS/400 techs are increasingly ancient but in high demand. They all look like hairband rejects stuck in the '80's.
Aye, AS400 is one of those funny self sustaining beasts, 99% dead end but in super high demand for those customers still stuck in those micro-markets. If it works, dont F with it! (Much like the ADA applications below hehe) Long term customers are really happy with em, but they are today weird obsolete time warps.

Mainframes on other hand are alive and kicking and as profitable as always, well worth a look if you have a chance to do development on em.

As for ADA, if you get bored of your current contractor but want to leverage you newfangled ADA skills, they might be transferable to (probably maintenance/extension) work on (legacy) applications such as ..... Who's Using Ada?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

In one my first real "system admin" jobs I inherited an AS400 because the guy who was in charge of it died and no one knew (or wanted to learn) how to run it. About 6 months after I inherited it, it completely broke and in good ol' IBM fashion, you can't just buy a new AS400 and expect to restore your backup to it because the OS version is tied to the hardware. So I had to track down a used one and wound up being given one by a bank in Seattle, I just had to go pick it up.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Aye, AS400 is one of those funny self sustaining beasts, 99% dead end but in super high demand for those customers still stuck in those micro-markets. If it works, dont F with it! (Much like the ADA applications below hehe) Long term customers are really happy with em, but they are today weird obsolete time warps.

Mainframes on other hand are alive and kicking and as profitable as always, well worth a look if you have a chance to do development on em.

As for ADA, if you get bored of your current contractor but want to leverage you newfangled ADA skills, they might be transferable to (probably maintenance/extension) work on (legacy) applications such as ..... Who's Using Ada?

We still have an AS400, we will probably still have it for 5 years. We have our replacement that should be fully rolled out this year, but the PD still wants it for House ownership history. You cant really port anything from an AS400 to any new data management system. Right now we do all financials and buliding dept coding on it. We are waiting on Revenue to move onto it and then Work order processing and we will be done.

Munis sucks. but its better than an as400.

Layzi

Molten Core Raider
Would you guys recommend getting assigned a company cell phone or using your own? I don't know if there is a reimbursement policy yet or not but carrying around two phones seems like a pain.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Do you want something you can turn off during vacation time/etc when you aren't expected to get into the office?

Company Cell

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck I hate C++ sometimes. Ok, most of the time. Some of that is C++'s fault, some of it mine because I don't get to actually program in it often but have to look at it every damn day.

Why is shit like this allowed in a strong typed language?

string& append (size_t n, char c);
str.append<int>(5,0x2E);

Yes, you can pass a number in as a character. I realize this is somewhat common, but from a readability standpoint, it's fucking stupid. And somewhat limiting if you ever want to overload the function, accepting an int to mean one thing and a character to mean another.

Seriously, what's the point of that, int = char? Why be strong typed if you're going to be sloppy with some of the very base types?

Rant over.:mad:

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Some of that is C++'s fault, some of it mine because I don't get to actually program in it often but have to look at it every damn day.

Why is shit like this allowed in a strong typed language?
-----<snip>--------
Seriously, what's the point of that, int = char? Why be strong typed if you're going to be sloppy with some of the very base types?
Quite frustrating, but it is not a *fault* of C++ IMHO, but rather a *feature* and part of its C origins and compatability legacy. The language is flexible and lets you do a wide variety of things and it is up to the dev shop to set its own coding standards.

In my experience in bigger shops with a large and well organized C++ code base have the experience and size of team that can afford to implement heavy/decent code review standards. It usually falls to the senior developers to guide other devs/maintainers through the a code review process to make sure code adheres to whatever makes sense to have as a sane/readable standard for the team.

What is readable for one shop will not always be the same for another.

On the extreme end, if you are big enough (project wise), and rich enough in talent/$$ to afford it, often different components of your system might be ported/migrated/implemented in a completely different language better suited to implement your features in a simpler easier to maintain way.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think you can do the same shit in Java. Like char c = 122;. Although I think if the method is typed to have a char there it doesn't allow you to pass an int in it's place.