IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well sort of.. You have to break away from the typical thinking of 'I'll toss a for loop here, and if statement here' . You have to manually write that stuff.

Granted i did it at a way lower level than most people would so perhaps my view is skewed. In school we had some boards that ran old Motorola assembly and it was fun but incredibly taxing on my brain.

Im very fast at reading and understanding assembly now but if you asked me to write anything it would take me forever.

At the new place I'm mainly doing C++, Java, and Matlab for signal processing and its a nice break from the Super low level stuff

@tyen aren't you from Portland? Not surprising you'd like hipster Central. I might not have minded it if my commute wasn't 2 and a half hours one way everyday.

We had to write some basic string library in x86 assembly in college and it was bullshit it took forever. My senior design project was an embedded racecar ECU. I wrote a few pieces of the control loop in assembly but mostly in C. Thats the extent of my assembly experience :)

riptorn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man, Office 365... We had a C-level exec experience inbox corruption. Microsoft hasn't been able to fix or do anything about it for two weeks now. We had to make a rule to pipe mail to a temp mailbox while we hope to get the old one going. We have a backup that they provide, but it's fairly old and missing two days worth of email.

I thought that was the entire point of Exchange on Office 365? That they took care of shit like this. It was only an 18gb mailbox, too.

Not impressed.

I hear yah man... I hear yah. Same experience. Its been fun trying to get them to figure out voicemails not coming into email. All the sudden after weeks, they said ok its good. With no explanation. We are waiting for a major issue to go off where they can't fix shit for the majority of our people. Then what?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious how others view tuples vs lists. I was doing a code review for someone a noticed they had made a list for a bunch of strings. They never change the list, so I had commented that they could make it a tuple instead. His response was that since it was a homogeneous collection, he used a list.

So, immutable vs mutable or heterogeneous vs homogeneous?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm curious how others view tuples vs lists. I was doing a code review for someone a noticed they had made a list for a bunch of strings. They never change the list, so I had commented that they could make it a tuple instead. His response was that since it was a homogeneous collection, he used a list.

I like to avoid side effects at all costs so immutability is preferable in all things, even when its not necessary. But i am not a software dev so what do i know.

I learned python pretty well, well enough to do some basic shit with, build simple tools, parse data, that kind of thing. Then I went on reddit to look at some of the daily programmer shit and how people were doing things. I then realized that I don't know python at fucking all.
This crossed my mail box today and seemed like it would be helpful:

Diving Deep into Python, the not-so-obvious Language Parts | Open Data Science

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

A lot of times I don't think it particularly matters which type of collection you use. I suppose a tuple would be the "safest" in this case.

I like use tuples for things like storing simple paramaters (where a dictionary isn't really necessary) or segmenting strings like an IP address into octets or street address into number, street name, city, etc.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of times I don't think it particularly matters which type of collection you use. I suppose a tuple would be the "safest" in this case.

I like use tuples for things like storing simple paramaters (where a dictionary isn't really necessary) or segmenting strings like an IP address into octets or street address into number, street name, city, etc.

There's a difference in performance too. How much, I have no idea.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you had a program with some huge static collections then I'd definitely use a tuple over a list.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've done a bit of assemblyish stuff recently. You can use mono.simd to get at the more modern / fast instructions in C#. Helped a bit with the physics stuff I was doing.

Also shader debugging is almost always in sort of assemblyish lang with lots of muls and mads and such. GPUs are basically simd processors with hundreds of threads.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Whoo! They told the recruiter they want to do an in person interview next. Waiting to find out when, but starting to get a little excited. I want to be an engineer again, dammit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
let's play a game; see if you're still employed after tomorrow. Company did not get the business they seemed to be betting the farm on.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
Anyone have experience with capitalizing software development costs? Specifically, the salaries of the developers involved?

For some background I run a group of six developers at a smaller company of roughly 50 employees. In discussing adding four more devs to my group, we're now suddenly under the gun to capitalize that cost. Historically our CFO just expensed the salaries.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
salaries are almost always done as OpEx... we've started doing software purchases with maintenance as capital purchases (with deprecation etc).

That just sounds weird...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Anyone have experience with capitalizing software development costs? Specifically, the salaries of the developers involved?

For some background I run a group of six developers at a smaller company of roughly 50 employees. In discussing adding four more devs to my group, we're now suddenly under the gun to capitalize that cost. Historically our CFO just expensed the salaries.

That doesn't really make sense unless the four new people are going to be setting up a new software package.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just had the interview. It was a panel type shebang. $ guys asking me how I would troubleshoot things. Maybe it went well. Now I get to wait. Maybe for a longish while.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
How heavily do you guys lean on stuff like glassdoor when you are taking interviews at companies? I just got a call about an interview but the glassdoor reviews aren't exactly glowing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think it depends. To no shock the glassdoor reviews for blizzard are pretty universally good. However at my old company it was extremely, extremely mixed and personally I found the place a great place to work. I'd say if it is universal one way or the other it is probably a fact of the company but if there are some 2 stars and some 5 stars it may depend on your team and personal fit.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I use glass door to get a feel for company culture, benefits, and overall employee happiness. You just sort of have to read behind the lines and also realize that for a lot of places the only people leaving reviews will be former employees.

I do like to peruse common interview questions and styles.

• 1Solidarity

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I find Glassdoor to be a good source of info. I try to find actual reviews from IT workers when I look because most large companies will have tons of "it was shit." 1 star type of reviews from people who had revolving door type of jobs like call center or sales.

I also go to linked in and look up people who work there and try to get a feel for what kind of backgrounds most people have.

• 1Solidarity

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
My current company had a TON of negative reviews left around 5-6 years ago when they did a round of layoffs.

While my company is far from perfect, I don't think I've agreed with any of the specifics left in the negative reviews--There's problems, but entirely different than the ones left on Glassdoor.