IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Don't hop after less than a year. 2 is fantastic. re: React issue above are you using an <input> tag? Or a react abstraction? <input placeholder={etc} /> should render fine anywhere outside of um.. IE8.

Needless

Toe Sucker
it's a mobile app through xcode so it's basically the js6 equivalent TextInput, but i pass in like 15 dynamic parameters so im wondering if its that.
I'll try just using a raw textinput tomorrow and see if it renders faster or not

It'll be nice once i release it though, finally get that shit off my plate after like 6+ months

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Anything over a year is good. The longest I've worked at one place was 4 years (out of the 12 I've been in IT) with most jobs being 2 years about and never had anyone even flinch about it.

Id say stay away from Amazon. Every one I know who's worked for them has hated it. I know you're probably jaded on DoD contracting, but there are really cool contracts out there where you can work on very innovative stuff. I'm just not sure if your area would have any.

Ironically, I got offered a huge raise to relocate to Pittsfield, MA to be an engineer for some Naval system. Sounded nice, except for the Pittsfield part.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I reached out to a Tech recruiter earlier this week. We need some temp work.

I asked if they had some real, actual salary information for this area. They brought that as well when I met with them.

I am going to sit down with my VP today, armed with that information, and fight for a significant increase for everyone under me. We are way under paying our people.

My VP, I expect, will push back. I'm talking a tune of about 150k in total over 8 people. Thats gonna piss her off. But goddamnit, looking at not only the validation of my suspicion we are underpaying but the extent thereof....I'm not okay with taking advantage of the hardest working group of employees I've ever seen.

Wish me luck, because I may get myself fired on this one.

EDIT: Corrected typo

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

2k VDI endpoints rollout in 7 months in higher ed sector followed by 2k more next FY.

This will be fun... mostly the internal politics.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I asked if they had some real, actual salary information for this area. They brought that as well when I met with them.

I am going to sit down with my VP today, armed with that information, and fight for a significant increase for everyone under me. We are way under paying our people.

My VP, I expect, will push back. I'm talking a tune of about 150k in total over 8 people. Thats gonna piss her off. But goddamnit, looking at not only the validation of my suspicion we are underpaying but the extent thereof....I'm not okay with taking advantage of the hardest working group of employees I've ever seen.

I am pretty sure your employees should be fighting for their salaries. It is admirable a director would, but if they aren't complaining why would your boss want to pay them extra?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I am pretty sure your employees should be fighting for their salaries. It is admirable a director would, but if they aren't complaining why would your boss want to pay them extra?

My team is comprised entirely of two groups of people; people with brand loyalty to the company and have been here longer than I have or the other those whom I hired, had all been laid off from their previous jobs (funny how that works in the Tech sector)..

I'm not sure the old hats with the company have any concept of what they're worth, and I'm pretty sure the ones who had been laid off are scared to push for anything beyond stable employment.

ex-genj

Golden Squire

Don't agree with this at all really, you have no idea if they "know" they're underpaid until they get a better paying job and are gone.

TBH everyone, employees and management, should have a good idea of market value for their position(s). This is pretty easy to figure out just by having an active linkedin and doing some research. I get mountains of linkedin spam and if I'm not open to a change I'll still respond back with "That sounds good, what's the salary range for the position? I'll need a number from you in your next response to move forward" some of the times and even get numbers some of the time :rolleyes:

• 1Solidarity

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

mmm.

I think you are wearing the wrong hat there. Maybe try asking for a one time bonus, or a gadget like a nice ipad, or a team activity.

Have the team expressed any discomfort in terms of salary to you?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Yes and no. Nobody has really asked for large raises. However, I can attest to at least one employee being paid 30k under what he's worth, and that has led to him calling into work because he can't afford gas.

Anyway, I walked into the meeting with my VP armed with a bunch of charts and shit.

She knew the idea of the meeting and had done her own independent research.

I am happy to report we are providing 50% of the difference between current pay and market value at the end of the year, with a 5 year plan to bring them up the rest of the way to market value.

This is in the company that pays its other departments, on average, 5-10% above market value.

Let me explain a bit here; Our pay/corporate structure lumps my department under Client Services. The VP of client services came up as a CS rep. She is ENTIRELY non technical. AS such, she had no idea that we were underpaying as direly as we are. She agreed that it was a situation that needed rectifying; My department earns its keep with revenue it brings in, plus provides technical CS. These guys work their asses off and deserve this.

As to me wearing the wrong hat? These guys under me are the goddamn reason I earn my bonuses, the revenue they bring in is the reason we are allowed to operate with mostly autonomy and just get to get shit done. They are the reason I am successful in this position. I will wear any damn hat necessary and go to bat for these guys EVERY damn time.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You are not their union representative.

You did a good thing because you recognized a flaw, someone not having enough gas for driving is pretty bad, and you addressed it.

But if they are happy with the money they are getting, and are still underpaid from the market perspective, you are not a bad manager for not giving them a raise out of the goodness of your heart.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You are not their union representative.

You did a good thing because you recognized a flaw, someone not having enough gas for driving is pretty bad, and you addressed it.

But if they are happy with the money they are getting, and are still underpaid from the market perspective, you are not a bad manager for not giving them a raise out of the goodness of your heart.
LOLOLOL Union reps in Tech.

Also, getting them more money to bring them up to "close to market" isn't the goodness of his heart, it's a retention move.
Paying them enough so they don't look around, or they don't get poached by a recruiter offering under market rate, is ensuring he gets his bonus (and that he isn't spending extra effort hiring replacements or training replacements). Letting them sit in an underpaid position IS a bad manager move, because you're getting short-term gains (difference in their rate versus market rate) versus long-term gain of keeping them working for you. It's fucking stupid not to realize that they will eventually move on (realizing the company hasn't been competitive with their salary, or by being recruited).

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I so desperately want a new job and a change in my life.

I interviewed with a friend's real small 5 man company and it was an instantaneous yes from them and the offer letter was only $40/hr. I understand that they are small but if they are paying less than government pay I can't quit for that.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I so desperately want a new job and a change in my life.

I interviewed with a friend's real small 5 man company and it was an instantaneous yes from them and the offer letter was only $40/hr. I understand that they are small but if they are paying less than government pay I can't quit for that.

GS13 (I think I've seen you say you are) pay is pretty damn good. You'll probably have to go to Raleigh to get better. If you want to be a contractor at the coolest place on Ft. Bragg, we have openings, but I already know they'll offer less than what you make.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Applying for my old job, but at a different level. Never done this before, not sure how the comany will react

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
GS13 (I think I've seen you say you are) pay is pretty damn good. You'll probably have to go to Raleigh to get better. If you want to be a contractor at the coolest place on Ft. Bragg, we have openings, but I already know they'll offer less than what you make.
GS12 and yeah it's all the other benefits.

Yeah we have a bunch of contractors working for us as well and they just don't quite make enough for me to switch. The locality is low income which drives the level down for all jobs that don't have some kind of stability.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Noodleface Noodleface coming back to EMC? Welcome back man! We here at Dell/EMC/VMware/Virtustream/VCE/RSA welcome you with open arms. Remember, "We Win Together!"

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleface Noodleface coming back to EMC? Welcome back man! We here at Dell/EMC/VMware/Virtustream/VCE/RSA welcome you with open arms. Remember, "We Win Together!"
Well I've applied anyways. If they offered and the pay was right I'd come back happily. Don't know how dell influenced the culture. The job I'm applying for lists bios experience and firmware so hopefully my resume will stick out to them. They did say when I left that id be welcomed back.

Pay would need to be 10%+ over what I make now and at the senior engineer level.

My only worry is I havent done fuck all here outside one major year long project. I'd have to really pretend I did more than I have.