IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
My son wants to learn about C++ this summer as he has a course on it this Fall, any recommendation for free online tutorial to go through? Found a bunch just checking youtube but wandered if there is a more "definitive" this is awesome one out there. I haven't checked Khan academy but someone told me they have something.

Is he familer with any programming languages? If he is I'd recommend to him to just pick a small project.

For example: Implement Minesweeper.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
EdX has c++ courses:

but why not use a book?

Personally I would recommend Accelerated c++ into Tour of C++ into Effective modern c++

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Hey, I need a little advice about writing/publishing apps and signing keys, my google skills are failing me and I'm self taught on web programming. I feel like I'm probably doing lots of work arounds for something there's an easier way of doing. I got some amazing help here last year (from Control) so turning to you guys again :)

I've spent a year working on an education website with procedurally generated math questions, it's going pretty well and I'm ready to start looking at how to monetise it. I've decided that my first step is to try and sell it as an app (probably microtransations to buy each subject area), so I'm using Adobe PhoneGap to turn my website into a hybrid app.

I've managed to use PhoneGap to make an Android app and got it onto Google Play for testing, so far so good. I want to use PhoneGap to make it into a Desktop Windows and iOS app now, iOS can wait but I need Desktop Windows ASAP so I can set it up on my wife's touchscreen laptop and record myself using it for YouTube videos to market it.

The hardest part of getting onto Google Play was figuring out how to get a signing key for Android, I just about managed it. The process for Desktop Windows seems much more complicated and I don't know where to start, the tutorials talk about things I'm not using. Part of the problem is that I don't think my dev envirnoment is much good. I'm using Netbeans which isn't really doing much for me, all the online tutorials talk about using Android Studio or Visual Studio. I downloaded Visual Studio and I don't even know how to start a new project, looks like it's set up for C instead of the HTML/CSS/Javascript I'm using.

I could just move all my code over to my wife's laptop but I don't always have access and I'd rather keep it all in one place because I don't know how to do version control either, maybe I could just have my code on a memory stick?

So my questions are:
1) Is Netbeans fine or is there a better environment to write HTML/CSS/Javascript in? How do I port my code across? I feel like there's a way of doing this without using the PhoneGap website to wrap my app for me.
2) How the fuck do you get a Desktop Windows signing key? PhoneGap will make the app but my PC refuses to run it.

Sorry if this is too much, just hoping that someone does this for a living and can just point me in the right direction!
Visual studio code bud. Shit is tits for HTML/css/js. Add in plugins for git and other things.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Or a Democrat gets elected. Its also why Republican Circle-jerking is so prevalent at Defense Contractors.
Lol, when I was in dod contracting everyone on my 7 person product team was hardcore liberal except me.

What do you need all this gaming power for!!!!

playing a 20 year old game...

it is awesome

hope my new work computer comes in, its a 15" MacBook pro- nothing cray, cray but it has a descreet ATI card with 4GB ram and a 9th gen i7 6 core so that is awesome - I currently use some random HP i5 from 5 years ago with the built in intel shared card.
Whew that sounds sexy.. love my 2017 mbp, if only they'd lower the price of decked out versions by 2-3k and I'd upgrade.. Really just wish I had 1tb instead of 512 but it's not the end of the world.

I was trying to teach myself python programming a few months back. I kept hating myself for having to google how to do shit, until I saw a python developer who was master class (at least comparatively) using google like it was his long lost butt buddy.

I really should go back to it.

Part of the process man. Don't get caught up with worrying about having to Google shit. Even once you learn2code you'll still Google shit. Programming is a constant learning process on a sliding scale. May be more initially picking up a language but you'll always be a student per say. Don't be hard on yourself and just enjoy the ride man.

Siliconemelons

Yeah so edu pricing on the 13" MacBook Pro w/ touch bar - 512SSD (i think its actually nvme?) and 16GB ram was $1999 the 15" MacBook Pro was $2099 - I will pay 100$ more and get 2 more cores, 1 newer (9th vs 8th) more generation CPU and the discrete ATI GPU (and technically more access to my 16GB ram)- and give up 256GB of SSD- as the standard 15" is 256GB vs the upgrade 512 I was planning on getting.

I also got a Samsung 34" ultra wide thunderbolt monitor - it has 87w thunderbolt port- so all I need to plug in is one thunderbolt cable for everything... as that is what I hated about the move away from "real" docking stations to essentially fancy USB hubs was the muddeled this and that for power, video, sound etc etc.-- this is one plug for everything.

So yeah I was a little shy in "Hi, glad to be your new IT Director, now buy me 3k worth of stuff kthx"

Also, the touch bar is essentially a fancy F-key row...but dynamic and it changes based upon your program. So far it has been quite cool with all its functions and is very reactive and no lag etc. The screen seems flat like e-ink but is bright and colorful and fast/no visual lag so I am sure its a lcd of some form...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah so edu pricing on the 13" MacBook Pro w/ touch bar - 512SSD (i think its actually nvme?) and 16GB ram was $1999 the 15" MacBook Pro was $2099 - I will pay 100$ more and get 2 more cores, 1 newer (9th vs 8th) more generation CPU and the discrete ATI GPU (and technically more access to my 16GB ram)- and give up 256GB of SSD- as the standard 15" is 256GB vs the upgrade 512 I was planning on getting.

I also got a Samsung 34" ultra wide thunderbolt monitor - it has 87w thunderbolt port- so all I need to plug in is one thunderbolt cable for everything... as that is what I hated about the move away from "real" docking stations to essentially fancy USB hubs was the muddeled this and that for power, video, sound etc etc.-- this is one plug for everything.

So yeah I was a little shy in "Hi, glad to be your new IT Director, now buy me 3k worth of stuff kthx"

Also, the touch bar is essentially a fancy F-key row...but dynamic and it changes based upon your program. So far it has been quite cool with all its functions and is very reactive and no lag etc. The screen seems flat like e-ink but is bright and colorful and fast/no visual lag so I am sure its a lcd of some form...
I don't mind all of it, but the key board issues can be terrrrible.

What monitor because I want one to replace my current 30" Cinema display?

Thinking of trying to find a remote security director/manager position. Any one have any tips for it? I can probably get something local, but I'm not really excited about the large enterprises in my local metro.

Siliconemelons

Ao- Ao-

I do not know how it compares to all the apple made stuff in terms of "true color" and "pixel accurate" stuff - I was mostly looking for something that would be one plug and actually DO everything it should. It lists a bunch of color accuracy stuff, but that is honestly of no real concern for me lol so sorry I cant help there.

Apple OS-X kinda sucks at snapping apps into a half/side of the screen, if I use the hold yellow button(expand) and do the half screen and then select the other app- it tosses them on their own "desktop" and when I minimize or resize one of them it pops it back to the main desktop while keeping the other app still on that magic hidden other desktop... but I am still learning osx

amazon embeds suck so

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Ao- Ao-

I do not know how it compares to all the apple made stuff in terms of "true color" and "pixel accurate" stuff - I was mostly looking for something that would be one plug and actually DO everything it should. It lists a bunch of color accuracy stuff, but that is honestly of no real concern for me lol so sorry I cant help there.

Apple OS-X kinda sucks at snapping apps into a half/side of the screen, if I use the hold yellow button(expand) and do the half screen and then select the other app- it tosses them on their own "desktop" and when I minimize or resize one of them it pops it back to the main desktop while keeping the other app still on that magic hidden other desktop... but I am still learning osx

amazon embeds suck so

Yeah I've been a semi-pro OS X user for years, and I STILL can't get app snapping to work the way I want it and I can do it instantly on Windows 10. I do the multiple desktops thing instead and use a trackpad to slide everything around. The gestures make it a ton easier.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Apple OS-X kinda sucks at snapping apps into a half/side of the screen
I bought Magnet specifically for that:

Never regretted it.

Siliconemelons

Yeah thanks for the info on magnet.

Now that I did that one new desktop thing...i am back to just one now...but its a different background... where did my other desktop run off to! lol

getting used to OSX is going to take some time, but all my faculty are all mac as I mentioned - so I need to get used to it.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Now that I did that one new desktop thing...i am back to just one now...but its a different background... where did my other desktop run off to! lol
For context purposes: they are called "Spaces". Go to "System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts" and select "Mission Control" on the left. I have mine at Ctrl-Up for Mission Control (shows all Windows on the current desktop plus the desktops on the top when you move your mouse there) and Ctrl-Left + Ctrl-Right to switch between Spaces.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
My son wants to learn about C++ this summer as he has a course on it this Fall, any recommendation for free online tutorial to go through? Found a bunch just checking youtube but wandered if there is a more "definitive" this is awesome one out there. I haven't checked Khan academy but someone told me they have something.
If he hasn't done any programming before I would suggest NOT to do C++. That shit is awful and will likely discourage someone new to programming from pursuing coding as a profession or hobby.

However, although not free, Udemy has great courses and can be typically purchased for ~$10 when on sale (and they have sales quite often).

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If he hasn't done any programming before I would suggest NOT to do C++. That shit is awful and will likely discourage someone new to programming from pursuing coding as a profession or hobby.

However, although not free, Udemy has great courses and can be typically purchased for ~$10 when on sale (and they have sales quite often).

His course at school is C++ so no real choice there, but definitely trying to get him exposed to more than that.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
His course at school is C++ so no real choice there, but definitely trying to get him exposed to more than that.
For my college courses we worked backwards from high level to low. Java -> C++ -> assembly. I felt like that was a good path they took us on rather than doing it in reverse.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I started off pretty young trying to teach myself C/C++, I would agree that it's a pretty rough introduction to an unforgiving language, especially before C++11. Since learning Python, a lot of concepts that I should have understood in C/C++ fell into place. That said, programmers should eventually learn a non-managed language. Understanding what a managed language is trying to hide from you is important.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user