IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
Cool man I'll check in on you tomorrow. I've got boxer installed but last time I logged in some idiot from IT kept trying to call me at 3am

And he is a good engineer, just lacks humbleness and tact. I have thought maybe he's autistic which would explain things.

I just can't imagine saying those things unless my boss asked me "we feel so andnso is struggling, what can we do to help him improve?"

My boss rehired me so I'm not really worried about me

I'd discuss it with your boss during your next 1-1. That behaviour from a Junior Engineer is not appropriate and needs to be stemmed. It's irrelevant that it was in a "private" setting.

More or less. This is less of an issue for you and more of an issue for the Junior Engineer. His boss is probably just sitting there going JFC stop being a whiney bitch.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That kind of setting isn't exactly private, either. Bringing up concerns like that about another employee, even if justified, isn't appropriate in an open office setting. That's more of a team management thing, but if the manager was remote he might not have realized this dude was doing that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the guy is autistic if I had to guess - not even in a joking way, I'm.pretty sure he is. So it may just be social trouble

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even better. I asked another dude a question on a code review, something pretty legitimate I thought and the guy responded with two paragraphs. So it wasnt some dumbass question. Junior goes in and marks MY question resolved. He didn't open the code review or have anything to do with my question. It felt like he was trying to take charge.

Also we have a reservation system for our servers and I jumped.off mine (but still reserved) and he just took it because his work is so important.

Getting pretty tiredd of this

Also he made a story because something I changed is now incorect because of some background changes. He started a story to fix it and surprise surprise he blew it way out of proportion

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Those using indeed.com, do you set your resume to public? Worried about recruiters from my employer seeing it, same reason I won't set my status to "open to offers" on linkedin. Totally not worth the risk.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I usually just use indeed and linked in to see what's open and then apply with the company directly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Current position came from being contacted having my resume public. But yeah, generally I apply directly. No way around it, if you go public and they're looking then they'll see it.

Another strategy is to always have it public, but sweet fucking christmas the spam...

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Well I took that Red Hat job then in a surprising turn of events my current company offered to match the pay +5%. I knew they would try to keep me, but I figured I would be priced out of their range, but I guess not.

Backing out on RH after I had already accepted was kinda awkward, but oh well. I'm good for several years now.

Vinen

God is dead
Well I took that Red Hat job then in a surprising turn of events my current company offered to match the pay +5%. I knew they would try to keep me, but I figured I would be priced out of their range, but I guess not.

Backing out on RH after I had already accepted was kinda awkward, but oh well. I'm good for several years now.

Welcome to the layoff list.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nah I stayed with GD. I won't get laid off, might lose the contract and be forced with multiple shitty decisions, but won't get laid off.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Does anyone here do freelance work?

Any suggestions on getting into it, websites, etc...

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I work in healthcare IT. I am currently providing second tier EHR support for Allscripts and soon to be Cerner. I have been supporting Allscripts for a little over 5 years now. Its not horrible, but its not great. I want to try to do something else, and not go into mlm/build work on the 3rd tier side. I was moved to a new building, and I was talking to a friend I used to work with back when I was field services. He said he networked his way into his position and provides cyber security, he mainly uses Tanium.

I never really gave cyber security much thought, but theres cyber security people that work out of this building. After talking to my friend about what he does, it got me pretty interested in the field. It sounds like something I would enjoy doing.

My question is since I have zero cyber security experience, what would be the best certificate/certification to get to show that I at least have some drive and interest in the field so when I do end up getting an interview I dont sound like a total noob, and get wrote off right off the bat. There was one job posting I had missed and they filled it for a Cyber intelligence role, my friend said they research different IOCs, and it mentioned ethical hacker cert would be recommended, along with one other I am forgetting.

I looked around some and and saw the CSX Cybersecurity fundamentals certificate, and it seemed to be pretty entry level stuff, and the price test price was on the cheaper side. Would this be worth getting just so I know some basics, and can show a hiring manager that I have some drive to learn?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I work in healthcare IT. I am currently providing second tier EHR support for Allscripts and soon to be Cerner. I have been supporting Allscripts for a little over 5 years now. Its not horrible, but its not great. I want to try to do something else, and not go into mlm/build work on the 3rd tier side. I was moved to a new building, and I was talking to a friend I used to work with back when I was field services. He said he networked his way into his position and provides cyber security, he mainly uses Tanium.

I never really gave cyber security much thought, but theres cyber security people that work out of this building. After talking to my friend about what he does, it got me pretty interested in the field. It sounds like something I would enjoy doing.

My question is since I have zero cyber security experience, what would be the best certificate/certification to get to show that I at least have some drive and interest in the field so when I do end up getting an interview I dont sound like a total noob, and get wrote off right off the bat. There was one job posting I had missed and they filled it for a Cyber intelligence role, my friend said they research different IOCs, and it mentioned ethical hacker cert would be recommended, along with one other I am forgetting.

I looked around some and and saw the CSX Cybersecurity fundamentals certificate, and it seemed to be pretty entry level stuff, and the price test price was on the cheaper side. Would this be worth getting just so I know some basics, and can show a hiring manager that I have some drive to learn?

Your baseline would likely be CompTIA Sec+. Tons of public study stuff, widely recognized, will actually teach you a thing or two so long as you recognize that it is what it is and you take it seriously.A lot of guys start off in a security operations center doing low level blue team shit, responding to alerts etc. Sounds like you want to get into threat intel. SOC is a great start for threat intel. imo, if you want to be a threat intel guy you need to go above and beyond. There's a tendency in threat intel to just regurgitate the news. You need to understand what "impact" means for your specific org and talk about ways to gauge that with your coworkers.

People hiring for security look for drive, if you want it you have to be that guy. ISACA is fine, but, and people may disagree on this, if you want the job play the game, and the game is widely recognized certs from these bullshit companies, and that means getting Sec+ and working towards CISSP or something similar, all that while working on the actual skill for the job you want to land in.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Your baseline would likely be CompTIA Sec+. Tons of public study stuff, widely recognized, will actually teach you a thing or two so long as you recognize that it is what it is and you take it seriously.A lot of guys start off in a security operations center doing low level blue team shit, responding to alerts etc. Sounds like you want to get into threat intel. SOC is a great start for threat intel. imo, if you want to be a threat intel guy you need to go above and beyond. There's a tendency in threat intel to just regurgitate the news. You need to understand what "impact" means for your specific org and talk about ways to gauge that with your coworkers.

People hiring for security look for drive, if you want it you have to be that guy. ISACA is fine, but, and people may disagree on this, if you want the job play the game, and the game is widely recognized certs from these bullshit companies, and that means getting Sec+ and working towards CISSP or something similar, all that while working on the actual skill for the job you want to land in.
Alll this.
D Deebo are you technical? if so what type of background (windows/linux/networking/endpoint/server/etc).

ISACA/ISC^2 is "good", but not going to get you past managers (but will get you past the HR drones). There is also the HCISSP for healthcare specific "shit".

General advice for anyone:
It's easier to start blue teaming (defense) than it is red team (offense). Red teaming takes a bit of technical skill, and that can be a bit harder to break into. Look for a "Security Operations Analyst" position, that will get you into the base of security and can start into a (much longer) career in InfoSec. If you have some software development expertise, go download Ghidra and start fucking around. InfoSec (whole thing) and CyberSec (the "tech" side of infosec) are an underserved and overpaying industry, ESPECIALLY if you have clearance. Go get some of the fat paycheck.

Gave this advice to someone else...
Start a twitter and follow infosec people/hackers (Viss, swiftonsecurity, hacksforpancakes, da_667, anyone from Project Zero, anyone from Cult of the Dead Cow, anyone from l0pht)
My favorite dude is da_667, and here is a link to his write up on starting a home lab to get familiar with blue team concepts: Here is a link to da_667's medium post on similar stuff:
I would recommend checking out Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs as a starting ground for red teaming, the rest of it... I'm lost beyond "Ghidra".

Knowing a scripting language (or learning one) can also be extremely helpful... python is usually the weapon of choice, or powershell if you are a windows person.
A good link: Python | No Starch Press

No Starch is fucking awesome, and can be one of your best sources for printed materials. Think O'Reilly before they got too big, though if your work gives you access to Safari Online, [ab]use that.

Quite a few of the infosec/cybersec tools are moving open source, and there is a huge benefit to just downloading a copy and trying it out. All the open source tools are "modified/improved/ok-imposter" versions of other tools that cost a ton of money. Getting familiar with one will make you a bit more familiar with others... except Maltego, you can only learn that by owning it.

Also, Shodan.io is super fun to "explore" on. The base subscription normally drops to like $50 on Black Friday, and anyone who has even a small interest in exploring the grey-corners of the internet should get a subscription.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Alll this.
D Deebo are you technical? if so what type of background (windows/linux/networking/endpoint/server/etc).

ISACA/ISC^2 is "good", but not going to get you past managers (but will get you past the HR drones). There is also the HCISSP for healthcare specific "shit".

It's easier to start blue teaming (defense) than it is red team (offense). Red teaming takes a bit of technical skill, and that can be a bit harder to break into. Look for a "Security Operations Analyst" position, that will get you into the base of security and can start into a (much longer) career in InfoSec. If you have some software development expertise, go download Ghidra and start fucking around. InfoSec (whole thing) and CyberSec (the "tech" side of infosec) are an underserved and overpaying industry, ESPECIALLY if you have clearance. Go get some of the fat paycheck.

Start a twitter and follow infosec people/hackers (Viss, swiftonsecurity, hacksforpancakes, da_667, anyone from Project Zero, anyone from Cult of the Dead Cow, anyone from l0pht)
My favorite dude is da_667, and here is a link to his write up on starting a home lab to get familiar with blue team concepts: Here is a link to da_667's medium post on similar stuff:
I would recommend checking out Hack The Box :: Penetration Testing Labs as a starting ground for red teaming, the rest of it... I'm lost beyond "Ghidra".

Knowing a scripting language (or learning one) can also be extremely helpful... python is usually the weapon of choice, or powershell if you are a windows person.

No Starch is fucking awesome, and can be one of your best sources for printed materials. Think O'Reilly before they got too big, though if your work gives you access to Safari Online, [ab]use that.

Quite a few of the infosec/cybersec tools are moving open source, and there is a huge benefit to just downloading a copy and trying it out. All the open source tools are "modified/improved/ok-imposter" versions of other tools that cost a ton of money. Getting familiar with one will make you a bit more familiar with others... except Maltego, you can only learn that by owning it.

Also, Shodan.io is super fun to "explore" on. The base subscription normally drops to like $50 on Black Friday, and anyone who has even a small interest in exploring the grey-corners of the internet should get a subscription.
This is the blueprint man, only thing I would add is get hot on Pentester Academy. Vivek is no joke. I was able to do his ASM stuff having no CS degree/background and was successful, however I find his python stuff quickly got deep even though I went into it with decent enough python experience.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Alll this.

Not very technical, mainly windows back ground. I started off as field services in IT. Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it! I will definitely look into these things.