IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
I got my last job through LinkedIn and it's my primary resume now.

This. Linked In is superior to resumes as I can look to see who I may know that you know and reach out to them for a backdoor reference. References provided by the canidate are garbage.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This. Linked In is superior to resumes as I can look to see who I may know that you know and reach out to them for a backdoor reference. References provided by the canidate are garbage.

Funny story about this. So my previous employer, General Motors, explicitly banned LinkedIn recommendations by employees even if you worked together. After the layoffs, those that stayed deleted the ones they made for me out of fear of reprisal.

Not sure how many companies actually have such a policy but it doesn't make any sense to me. I asked around for references within LinkedIn every year or so I worked there and got like 12 from people I actually liked working with. Now I have 4 because of the GM policy change.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Way late on the counter offer conversation, background I’m an IT guy, worked IT recruiting for a few years so got to see all the cool stuff behind the curtain, back in a technical hands on role now. TL:DR on counter offers is don’t. There are multiple studies you can pull up but the number are ridiculously high (75%+) of people who accept a counter that are gone within 1 year. A lot of the high points were brought up in the discussion but it’s something you can pretty safely say just don’t do it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yep, I took the latter into account when considering a counter offer. As for the former, they seem to want me but obviously that could all be lies.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've seen that stat before and my assumption was that people jump again when they see that the situation isn't really changing, or changing enough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone dealt with people that dominate scrum meetings? Assume every company has one or two.

My status is like 60 seconds max. Sometime two minutes if I have a roadblock. We have these two dudes that always take tEn minutes each. Yes I've complained. Just venting.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gone as in not at the company anymore, for whatever reason. Overall point being they almost never work out for whatever reason.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'd never accept a counter offer expecting my working conditions to change. Salary was literally my only complaint so it made sense for me to accept it. I'll definitely leave if I have to pay cut for any reason though (like my current company not winning their rebid in May).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Gone as in not at the company anymore, for whatever reason. Overall point being they almost never work out for whatever reason.
Gotcha. I'm not purporting to be some unique snowflake, but that's not the gist I got. I got a raise out of it and improvements were already in place after I'd accepted the initial job offer but before a start date had been established.

But, that said, I'd be happy(or maybe not) to come back to this in a year to see how it has turned out. Do we have a "reminder" function on this forum?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user