IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am currently making $$$ migrating contact centers to "the cloud" (aka getting them off shitty on-premises Avaya crap and moving it to newer but just as shitty Avaya crap living in our vaguely cloudy datacenters) with all that's going on with COVID and customers needing more flexibility to consolidate offices, work remote, etc and throw their servers in the trash.

But I just can't see this pace/urgency of work holding up past another 2 years or so, but who the fuck knows.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My company has an entire SNOW practice; I could get you in touch with someone about an implementation job if you ever wanted to test the waters.

Edit: It is a Fortune 200 company so this is not like a 10 person shop.
Having gone from a 1300 person company to a 3000 person company, I really want to go work for a 10 person shop for a while when I'm done with all of this, haha.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Having gone from a 1300 person company to a 3000 person company, I really want to go work for a 10 person shop for a while when I'm done with all of this, haha.

I am the opposite; my three companies have been 60k, 80k, and now my current job is *only* 9k employees. Once a cog in the great machine, always a cog in the great machine.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Eh grass is always greener. I am in a different industry and not working for anyone but I was just sitting here thinking how nice it would be to be just another cog somewhere.

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I am the opposite; my three companies have been 60k, 80k, and now my current job is *only* 9k employees. Once a cog in the great machine, always a cog in the great machine.
went from 100, to 60k, to 20k, to 25k... I like larger companies...

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I like smaller companies. I wouldn't work at big corporate again unless I was paid an absurd amount of money.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Are there any podcasts or books on tape or anything that would be helpful in learning programming? Mainly python and Javascript. The few I've found so far are aimed at people already experienced.

My life basically consists of work, Lawncare, play with my girl when I'm not at work or mowing, garage/woodworking when she's asleep, and a dash of sleep for myself. I've really been wanting to learn to code, but I'm not willing to give up time on the other stuff. I figured long drives for work is an available block of time for some learning if I can find something that's able to start the foundation through audio only means?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Are there any podcasts or books on tape or anything that would be helpful in learning programming? Mainly python and Javascript. The few I've found so far are aimed at people already experienced.

My life basically consists of work, Lawncare, play with my girl when I'm not at work or mowing, garage/woodworking when she's asleep, and a dash of sleep for myself. I've really been wanting to learn to code, but I'm not willing to give up time on the other stuff. I figured long drives for work is an available block of time for some learning if I can find something that's able to start the foundation through audio only means?
Ya you won’t learn much via audio. Need to actually sit down and code. I’d recommend team tree house and just work through their JavaScript and/or python courses. Courses are broken up into smaller sections making it easy to sit down 30 min a day and plug away at it in smaller increments.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

No, its very much an active learning activity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

If you want to learn there's tutorials out the ying-yang

If I walked you through writing a simple looping application, with if/else selects, you more or less would have written a stripped down version of any given program that a coder maintains or writes.

But you wouldn't feel like you were a coder, and you wouldn't be.

You don't start to feel like a coder until you've done it a couple thousand times over, and you've fixed several hundred cryptic compilation errors that don't actually spell the error out for you

Or walk into an environment that you have no experience with but, just following the structure backwards you're able to (after wasting all day), figure out the working code you need to manipulate.

When I teach people how to code, which I often have to do since I work a lot in Legacy systems. I usually sit (well pre-covid at least) beside them, and let them do the typing, while I guide them through what to do, I do this for a few weeks, and start removing guidance steps, eventually I stop shadowing them and keep main correspondences to email, and have them call me over where the pain points still exist.

I'd say like Jiu-Jitsu, there is a need for kinesthetic immersion, even if it's only typing on a keyboard, it requires an involvedness to graft an association.

Some people try to describe learning a programming language like learning an actual human language, but I'd say its more akin to learning a very complex game with a very strict set of rules.

Also a Step Through Debugger is extremely valuable, as opposed to peering at static code on a screen that either does or doesn't compile, runtime errors being baby steps and logical errors a constant no matter your expertise

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Most of what I want to do revolves around this - ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
If I really knew how to use this, I could automate even more of my workflow than what I've done so far. I want to aim for automating a lot of my work first because I know the whole Drone mapping process inside and out, so I'll just be focused on learning the programming side. After I get that dialed in, I want to tackle a lot of the tasks from the other groups at work. (For instance, input a project boundary and compile all of the records research that our surveyors pr traffic engineers normally spend a few hours doing on every new project). Then I'd like to work on Javascript and start deploying custom apps with python scripts running in the background to give people a little more manual control over what they're doing.

I've been obsessed with this for years at this point and my shitty programming skills is really the only thing in the way. Whatever the hell it takes to get there quickly, I'll consider. If a programming boot camp is the way to go, I know work would be willing to pay for it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone use auth0 for user authentication?
We use Okta, who just bought Auth0. Previous employers uses/used Auth0 for some stuff (customer identity and API stuff) and Ping for corporate identity.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
We use Okta, who just bought Auth0. Previous employers uses/used Auth0 for some stuff (customer identity and API stuff) and Ping for corporate identity.
Maybe you can give me some feedback… Have a web app similar to GIPHY. Users can log in and add gifs to their personal favorites list and do other things that are specific to their account. Ideally the web application will eventually have mobile apps associated with it.

Ive implemented basic user login using auth0. Im wondering if oauth 2 is the right tool to even use for my use case. Right now I’m working on loading user specific content after they log in (like loading their list of favorite gifs). Wondering if the best approach is to pull their user_id from auth0 and have it cross references in my own database with all user specific info (their favorite gifs, other user profile info, etc).

Should I continue down the oauth2 route as it may come in handy if I’m using multiple clients (web app, mobile app, etc) to access resources or is there a better solution?

Haven’t played with okta but I’ll check it out today.

This is a spring boot stack using thymeleaf for templating (probably will ditch thymeleaf eventually).

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Most of what I want to do revolves around this - ArcGIS Pro Python reference—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation
If I really knew how to use this, I could automate even more of my workflow than what I've done so far. I want to aim for automating a lot of my work first because I know the whole Drone mapping process inside and out, so I'll just be focused on learning the programming side. After I get that dialed in, I want to tackle a lot of the tasks from the other groups at work. (For instance, input a project boundary and compile all of the records research that our surveyors pr traffic engineers normally spend a few hours doing on every new project). Then I'd like to work on Javascript and start deploying custom apps with python scripts running in the background to give people a little more manual control over what they're doing.

I've been obsessed with this for years at this point and my shitty programming skills is really the only thing in the way. Whatever the hell it takes to get there quickly, I'll consider. If a programming boot camp is the way to go, I know work would be willing to pay for it.

Perhaps you could locate someone for 1 on 1 tutoring