IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I really want to know how people can come into the org at like maybe a senior analyst role. Then in under 3 years they're a director.

I've seen this quite a lot at this point and I truly don't get it.
Management track positions are like that. If you want to be corporate that's how you do it. Build a tech background somewhere or get a few certs. Be an analyst or project manager for a few years, become management.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What everyone said. I work in FAANG. The amount of “empire building” is pretty amazing. My org is actually great but I’ve heard it’s pretty bad outside. Our company isn’t the kind to really ditch products… Seems like a lot of doubling down of dead empires…

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What does this even mean? You do pre-sales consulting for some shit that runs in AWS? Because that's what it sounds like it means.
At a FAANG company. I’m a software engineer. At the most basic level I work with distributed systems.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What everyone said. I work in FAANG. The amount of “empire building” is pretty amazing. My org is actually great but I’ve heard it’s pretty bad outside. Our company isn’t the kind to really ditch products… Seems like a lot of doubling down of dead empires…
Well now we know you don't work at google so you can just call it faan

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Shit's getting wild.. Just had an AI bot call the helpdesk impersonating an employee asking to "reset my MFA". Sounded just like him-- the only huge giveaway is that the guy in question is a total retard and would never call asking to "reset MFA", and probably doesn't even know what MFA stands for. It would have been more of a "your security crap locked me out" or " the number thingie isn't working on my phone". They need to give these bots more downs.

Oh, and the QR code phishing Microsoft is hopeless at stopping is great too. If anybody is looking to turf O365 for spam management but doesn't want a fucking mail gateway, Perception point X-ray via API integration has been amazeballs.

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Shit's getting wild.. Just had an AI bot call the helpdesk impersonating an employee asking to "reset my MFA". Sounded just like him-- the only huge giveaway is that the guy in question is a total retard and would never call asking to "reset MFA", and probably doesn't even know what MFA stands for. It would have been more of a "your security crap locked me out" or " the number thingie isn't working on my phone". They need to give these bots more downs.

Oh, and the QR code phishing Microsoft is hopeless at stopping is great too. If anybody is looking to turf O365 for spam management but doesn't want a fucking mail gateway, Perception point X-ray via API integration has been amazeballs.
That's really cool and also terrifying. The next decade is going to be some shit.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Inability to emulate human stupidity is what's going to save us from the cylons.

Vinen

God is dead
Seems easy if you spend all your time at work playing the advancement game instead of producing deliverable technical output.

Geeks always get distracted into playing the wrong game, which is why they always end up managed by people dumber than them.

I used to think this. Then I advanced in IC level and switched to management track at Director level. Most devs have zero business sense and will waste time on tasks which are not important. The value on the management side is being able to align with business goals while herding technical people into solving the problems that matter.

I've seen so much money wasted over the years due to devs reinventing the wheel. I think I'll flip if I see another Senior IC pushing building a new control pane.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I used to think this. Then I advanced in IC level and switched to management track at Director level. Most devs have zero business sense and will waste time on tasks which are not important. The value on the management side is being able to align with business goals while herding technical people into solving the problems that matter.

I've seen so much money wasted over the years due to devs reinventing the wheel. I think I'll flip if I see another Senior IC pushing building a new control pane.
What is a senior IC?

• 2Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Internet Commander
1700433921278.jpeg

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yup. You can hate the idea of it but it won’t change the reality.
I don't hate the idea of you being a software engineer, you just sound like a salesman to me.

If you are a software engineer, you picked the wrong side of house.

• 1Seriously?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't hate the idea of you being a software engineer, you just sound like a salesman to me.

If you are a software engineer, you picked the wrong side of house.
I am a software engineer. How do I sound like a salesman? What would a software engineer sound like? The wrong side of house, speak English?