IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This guy I work with was on Adderall for a few years and stopped (and told everyone as much). Learning he was on Adderall explained so much. He went from a constant overbearing jackass to mostly normal. Management loves the guy though, nobody can stand working with him for long but to management because he only interacts with them on occasion, he seems like a 10x employee they need more of. Meanwhile one guy bailed a year ago to another team and I've been hoping to do the same thing, but for now it's like he's a completely different person.

No judgement if you take adderall I'm just saying the difference is friggin huge, he went from a overbearing & constant pain in the ass to minding his own business for the most part.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How's his productivity though? I sometimes consider taking a medication in that family as I seem to get distracted quite easily.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How's his productivity though? I sometimes consider taking a medication in that family as I seem to get distracted quite easily.
Quite good, he's a massive gamer but he's not one of those that plays WOW or PUBG all day and doesn't answer emails. Or if he does he's next level multi-tasking.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe I have a different problem then(work is boring?). I was positing that the adderall was helping him stay focused and productive and perhaps you noticed a change in that.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Maybe I have a different problem then(work is boring?). I was positing that the adderall was helping him stay focused and productive and perhaps you noticed a change in that.
If it's boring then multitask with something that isn't boring. Or find ways to make it not boring. And always always alllllllllways try breathing meditation before ever getting on any of those fucking mind altering drugs. That shit is going to fuck you up one way or another. Learning how to focus and clear your mind via meditation will not.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I do not have ADHD and messed around with Adderall and the anti-narcolepsy drug many years back. I can say that it did not make boring things interesting. So anything that I did not want to do, I still had to force my way through it.

I personally found the anti-narcolepsy one better (I'm drawing a blank on the name). Adderall felt like a straight up stimulant drug to me whereas the other just made me feel alert, non-foggy and completely erased the desire to eat.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
A year or so ago we hired a Go To Market finance guy. His main job is identifying issues that get in the way of going to market. Mostly about public reporting requirements and stuff.

Found out today that he's been bitching to the CFO about trying to poach me onto his team. As I have built 90% of the data infrastructure in the company personally. So the CFO attempted to move me but the CIO just told her no he(I) ain't going.

I don't really care but its nice to be acknowledged.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just won the big annual company award, which comes with a sizeable bonus, and now my manager is very transparently lowkey mad and wants to know who nominated me.

"As your manager, I'd be very interested in knowing who nominated you. If you find out, please tell me right away. I will be looking into it from a manager perspective as well."

So now I know it wasn't him!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just won the big annual company award, which comes with a sizeable bonus, and now my manager is very transparently lowkey mad and wants to know who nominated me.

"As your manager, I'd be very interested in knowing who nominated you. If you find out, please tell me right away. I will be looking into it from a manager perspective as well."

So now I know it wasn't him!
lol, I hope you said "oh?! I just assumed it was you..." followed by a very sad, disappointed expression.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Goddamn, what a salty bitch, lol. What’s he going to do when he finds out? Give them a stern talking to? Get then fired? Grats on that bonus, though!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I love wasting an afternoon wrestling with a Makefile, trying to do simple shit like capturing command output in variables for use in subsequent commands, giving up and doing it all in shell in 5 minutes.

Shell ain't that great either!

I like USING make when the project is well maintained. But damn do I hate doing regular programming shit in it. It's like it was conceived to be opposite of common programming intuition.

What's the benefits of make if you're building a project? Like why should I want to use make to do some low level shit instead of shell or bash?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
All of our projects switched to makefiles as well. I guess I don’t see the reason for it as, at least in the projects I’ve worked in, the same thing could have just been done running the command from the package file. Guessing there’s just some more advanced shit you could do with it that I’m just not exposed to.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Make really only makes sense for low level compiled code.

The main purpose for it was to compare sources to decide what all it needed to compile and link. I.e. you change a .c file, you can probably just recompile that file and link where as you change a .h file, you likely have to recompile everything. If you have something that takes a long time to compile, make helps out quite a lot for small changes.

That being said, it's also not the worst convention you could adopt either using makefiles. I wouldn't try to go too crazy with the makefile macro shit though. Just have it call your shell script from the make target to do advanced things.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I want to try employment maxing like TJT TJT . I don’t know if I could do a full other job unless there was a lot of overlap and it was less intense than current job. What websites if any are you guys using for software engineer contract work or smaller jobs? I figure that may be a good place to dip my toes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I want to try employment maxing like TJT TJT . I don’t know if I could do a full other job unless there was a lot of overlap and it was less intense than current job. What websites if any are you guys using for software engineer contract work or smaller jobs? I figure that may be a good place to dip my toes.
Work in backend engineering only. Most developers avoid it for some reason. Even though its way less gay than frontend or network engineering. So if you can do it you're left alone.

Simple as.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Work in backend engineering only. Most developers avoid it for some reason. Even though its way less gay than frontend or network engineering. So if you can do it you're left alone.

Simple as.
All I do at the moment anyways. Simple enough.