Jedi Fallen Order (By Respawn Entertainment)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i'd wager that any questionable decisions that are being made outside of the actual game itself are probably due exclusively to EA. let me adjust my tinfoil hat real quick... if there's no review embargo or early access, then there's little to no word of mouth talking about how good (or bad) it is. if it's actually good, then it'll bump up day 1 sales. it's like the movie business where people don't so much care about how well a movie does over it's lifetime; the weekend take is what decides whether or not a movie is successful. EA need this game to not sell well because it means they were right about their doctrine that people don't want single player games. EA wants to only make multiplayer games so that they can churn out an endless cycle of MTX's. you can get the box price of a game plus several years worth of subscriptions and loot crates.

the amount of ads i've seen for this game compared to what i've seen for star wars battlefront 1 and/or 2 should really be proof of this. the battlefront games really weren't all that great, and yet the marketing department wanted everyone to think it was the second coming of CoD or something... i think i've only seen like 1 or 2 ads for fallen order.

• 1OK, Sure
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

i mean, ilke i said, my tinfoil hat is on... but yes. they've gone on record to say that they don't want to make single player games "because the audience doesn't want single player games." and like i said, it's a lot harder to monetize single player games the way that you can with multiplayer games.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
People still enjoy single player games if they are well made. Witcher 3 might be one of the greatest games of all time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I would bet Disney tied EA"s hands with this since the BF2 debacle. (Wishful thinking anyway, that would mean Disney actually cares about the integrity of the Star Wars IP, which they clearly do not)

j00t

People still enjoy single player games if they are well made. Witcher 3 might be one of the greatest games of all time.

yeah, that's the disconnect. witcher 3, god of war, spider-man... all single player games that came out recently (witcher 3 is pushing it but it's recent enough) and all did really well commercially.

Linear single-player games no longer popular says EA of canned Star Wars game

EA has been trying to reduce the amount of single player games for a while, again, because they are trying to overly monetize their games with loot boxes and there's much less incentive to buy a loot box for a single player game. so they use buzzwords and the media to encourage people to buy multiplayer games instead of single player games.

i might be a little crazy in thinking that EA is purposely trying to tank one of their own products just to prove a point, so that when (if) fallen order fails to meet internal financial goals, they can point and say "hey, see, single player games just aren't popular anymore." BUT i'm not crazy in pointing out that EA is in the business of nickel and diming it's customers.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah EA Is a joke. The numbers are right there for everyone to see.

Horizon Zero Dawn: 10+ Million Copies
Spiderman - 13.2 Million Copies (Not including DLC)
God of War - 10+ Million Copies
Witcher 3: Over 40... (40 Million copies
Uncharted 4 (I'll list this because even though it had a multiplayer component no one cared about it) Over 13 million copies

The problem with EA is they know they no longer have the talent anymore to put out anything but shit Gaas titles in the hopes they buy enough time to fix all their broken garbage and people stay. The new Dragon Age is basically going to be Anthem with Dragons.

They suck.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I agree with j00t. I don't know if EA wants the game to tank, but I don't think they want it to have outstanding sales. I know it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but they have really been trying to sell this idea that gamers are tired of single player games and really desire GAAS and MTX and they're just filling a demand. i do think GAAS works well in some scenarios, but single player games obviously still perform very well if the quality is high. In addition to the ones already listed, I would argue that RDR2 sales were primarily driven by the single player component of the game as well.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
You also have GTA5 and RDR2. While yes they have multiplayer, each game would have still sold tens of millions even without online.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm willing to bet some $$ this game is a pleasant surprise (hard not to be given how little interest a major Star Wars game seems to be generating a month before the last mainline film release ever). Think it might be decent, TF2 was a ton of fun to me but will await ACG, several other reviewers before jumping in. If nothing else I'm sure this will be on sale soon.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
I've heard the game is 20-25 hours tops so if you are on console you can buy it at gamestop thursday night, play straight for however long red bull and vodka can keep you going, and trade back in (opened) for $59.99 store credit by sunday evening. Then spend that credit on steam/PSN/xbox/pokemon whatever.

I'd also go watch The Mandorian (Disney+ or torrent) it has absolutely nothing to do with this but its a great way to immerse yourself back into Star Wars, first episode was great

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah, i'd wager that any questionable decisions that are being made outside of the actual game itself are probably due exclusively to EA. let me adjust my tinfoil hat real quick... if there's no review embargo or early access, then there's little to no word of mouth talking about how good (or bad) it is. if it's actually good, then it'll bump up day 1 sales. it's like the movie business where people don't so much care about how well a movie does over it's lifetime; the weekend take is what decides whether or not a movie is successful. EA need this game to not sell well because it means they were right about their doctrine that people don't want single player games. EA wants to only make multiplayer games so that they can churn out an endless cycle of MTX's. you can get the box price of a game plus several years worth of subscriptions and loot crates.

the amount of ads i've seen for this game compared to what i've seen for star wars battlefront 1 and/or 2 should really be proof of this. the battlefront games really weren't all that great, and yet the marketing department wanted everyone to think it was the second coming of CoD or something... i think i've only seen like 1 or 2 ads for fallen order.

They also let NFS Heat drop recently with barely any marketing push. EA feels like they are in a really strange position these days.

j00t

They also let NFS Heat drop recently with barely any marketing push. EA feels like they are in a really strange position these days.
oh right. i didn't realize that was EA for some reason... but yeah... i have no idea what EA is doing with their marketing department

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They're probably still paralyzed over the sense of pride and accomplishment debacle, Apex being the biggest thing in the world and then crashing, FIFA being a money printer so why bother with anything else, and everyone hating their fucking guts.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
What happened to Apex? I don’t play the BR games so I don’t keep up with them.
giphy.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What happened to Apex? I don’t play the BR games so I don’t keep up with them.
Yea, kind of forgot about that game. This past weekend at PDX LAN, I didn't even see people playing it, and there were zero tournaments for it as well. Weird.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The hype train ran out or did the devs run it into the ground like pubg?

Lack of content, but also apparently the hype was so big for the game only because they were playing streamers to play their game. They had huge Twitch watchers, then the money for streamers ran out and then the game's popularity crashed.