JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Saw this last night, thought it was fitting / apt.

rrr_img_13329.jpg

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
after those new so called *Star Wars movies",i think the harm is already done.the hole is already wide to fit anything Disney,JJ Abrams or whoever want to put

Charles_sl

shitlord
JJ Abrams is terrible. I haven't seen the Star Trek movie but I saw Super 8, pure garbage. I also know of his prior work and all of it just seems like pure nonsense to me. Totally uninteresting.

They should get that Verbinski guy to direct it. He can make fun films which is what Star Wars should be. He's already worked with Disney and made plenty of money with them. He has experience with making popular sequels. Obviously those Pirates of the Caribbean movies weren't great but they were certainly entertaining.

I think he would be a better choice all around.

fucker_sl

shitlord
JJ Abrams is terrible. I haven't seen the Star Trek movie but I saw Super 8, pure garbage. I also know of his prior work and all of it just seems like pure nonsense to me. Totally uninteresting.

They should get that Verbinski guy to direct it. He can make fun films which is what Star Wars should be. He's already worked with Disney and made plenty of money with them. He has experience with making popular sequels. Obviously those Pirates of the Caribbean movies weren't great but they were certainly entertaining.

I think he would be a better choice all around.
the new star trek was like Transformers. but a little better

and had absolutely nothing to do with ST, except the name of the characters

and you have to watch it wearing sunglasses if you dont want to go blind

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I think it was probably the best Star Trek movie I have seen, with the possible exception of ST 2.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
the new star trek was like Transformers. but a little better

and had absolutely nothing to do with ST, except the name of the characters

and you have to watch it wearing sunglasses if you dont want to go blind
Blah blah fucking lens flare we know. I'll grant you that some people subjectively hate on lens flare and Abrams likes him some flare like fatasses love chocolate, but you either don't know shit about Star Trek or you watched that movie through your boyfriend's asshole, because the one thing Abrams did right was make it FEEL like Trek. And that ain't easy. The casting, the story, the relationships, and the workaround of the parallel timeline; it was Trek. It wasn't a flawless movie, of course, but that's also Trek. Very few Treks, either movies or shows could really be called GOOD. The characters and the occasional jewel of a story help, but mostly the it's the FEEL of Trek that makes it special. That's why Trek resonates so strongly and so many other shows lie forgotten. Abrams, as a nerd himself, understood that, I think, and made a Trek that hit all the beats, even the off-rhythm ones. The product felt like Star Trek, and really, that's all I wanted.

Sorry about that your boyfriend's asshole crack, I didn't mean it personally I just giggled at the visual of you watching Trek through a man's shit chute.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Maybe its just me, but I didn't even notice lens flare absurdity in star trek until people started whining about it and i watched it a second time looking for it.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Neither. People just need a reason to bitch about an otherwise excellent reboot of a long standing series. If the lens flare hadn't been there, they'd be ranting about the size of Spock's ears or something equally stupid.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't seen any of Abrams films besides Star Trek I'm pretty sure, but I would rank it as more entertaining than the Pirates sequels, despite the (imo) terrible plot. The characters and casting in Star Trek made it for me, but Pirates 2/3/whatever even wrecked that. I mostly blame the writers but really don't see how they were more entertaining than Star Trek and the director has to take some blame for that.

Hell, the characters in the original Star Wars was probably their strongest point too, so yea, Abrams seems fine for that to me as well.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think one of the reasons Abrams 2009 Star Trek was successful, was that it didn't fall into the trap of having 8 different main characters. It is Chris Pine's movie about Cpt Kirk. Sure, you have the supporting roles, which are important and really enhance the movie, but it is Pine's movie/franchise.

My prediction is that this is going to be the biggest problem Star Wars 7 will have. You have a cast of returning old characters, along with their stated desire to make the movie about the next generation offspring. That is like 10+ characters all competing for screen time and protagonist story-lines. They can have a host of supporting characters, but the franchise will be best served if they find their one new "Luke". Don't convolute the story with bigger is better. Please god, have one bad ass villain who lasts all 3 movies. Invest lots of story and screen time in that villain, like they did Darth Vader in 4-6, rather than 6 different JAGs (just another guy) used in the episode 1-3 abominations.

I am starting a petition for Christoph Waltz for Grand Admiral Thrawn, 3 movie epic.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Abrams is the least of my worries. As soon as they announced him I thought about that Red Letter Media prequel review where he compares Lucas' plodding green screen over-the-shoulder walking dialog scenes to Star Trek's dynamic flowing camera and characters plot development scenes. Then again comparing him favorably to the prequels is probably going too easy on him. I'm not sure you can possibly fuck up the franchise any worse than Lucas already has.

I can't help but feel like its time to stick a fork in the franchise, its done. Bringing back Harrison Ford as old Han? In theory maybe but I expect more of a Crystal Skull feel than anything epic. Stand alone Yoda film? The only way I possibly see it working is if Yoda is a jedi master on Coruscant and the plot and action orbits his guidance. If some other good jedi or two are introduced as his star pupils and they are the swashbuckling adventurers, then maybe. Yoda as a space wrangler jedi-at-large fighting sith? Just go ahead and give him a fucking love interest too, because the series will be officially ruined.

How could they even consider making a stand alone character film before doing Ep 7? It simply doesn't stand to reason.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Please god, have one bad ass villain who lasts all 3 movies. Invest lots of story and screen time in that villain, like they did Darth Vader in 4-6, rather than 6 different JAGs (just another guy) used in the episode 1-3 abominations.
Your argument fails:
Palpatine was in 1-3
Dooku was in 2-3
Maul was only in 1, but he was hardly "just another guy"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Your argument fails:
Palpatine was in 1-3
Dooku was in 2-3
Maul was only in 1, but he was hardly "just another guy"
Considering he died like a bitch at the first sign of conflict, yeah, he was just another guy.

And Dooku was absolutely horrifying. If he didn't have the stupidest name ever you wouldn't even remember it.

iannis

Musty Nester
General Darth Dookie Lightsaber, M.D. (of the force)

In all fairness to Lucas, his name could have been just a tad worse.

I do appreciate the subtle hint that he was named after a dookie though. It lets me know that he's a bad guy. I might have missed that if his name was like Matthew or something.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
they called him Count Dookoo because it was a very poor inside joke to christopher lee's most famous role as Count Dracula. at least Darth Vader (Dark Father) was a better joke and spoiler name.
the old cast could work for a SW7. all you really need is ford and hamil and a very small cameo from fisher. remember in star wars han didnt do that much physical stuff. he ran around a lil, but mostly just flew the falcon and blasted stuff. you could Sean Bean Han or Luke at some point. maybe end the first and second movies on those notes and then its up to the "new guys" to save the universe.

and you simply NEED mark Hamil for the sequels. you could skip ford. but if you are going to do a jedi thing. you can not without a jedi teacher and Luke is all thats left.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
If it is Khan, I'll have been thoroughly tricked. I think I've already said this a few times, but I hated JJ Abrams and all he had done until I watched how he treated my beloved TOS with tender loving care in the first movie. The lens flare stood out for me only because it reminded me of Wing Commander for some reason. But it was a great fucking film. I really wish they had signed those folks up for a TV show.