JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I watched Abrams' Star Trek last night and my suspicions were correct. Typical overreacting nerd backlash. The movie was great. Far exceeded my expectations. I have faith that Abrams will do a fantastic job with Star Wars.
To be fair to the overreacting nerd backlash, I can't watch it now without seeing lens flare EVERYWHERE. It's especially annoying cause it never bothered me before.

iannis

Musty Nester
I wouldn't call the Star Trek movie great. But it wasn't terrible either. It was better than some of the TNG movies they shat out. A reboot movie like that is going to hit the limit of "how good can this possibly be? It's a rehash" very quickly. And that Star Trek movie hit that limit. Pretty quickly.

But it looked nice, partly because of the lens flare, and it didn't shit on the corpses of the orgional crew. So I mean, he's already got +2 on the Star Wars prequels. So Trek was about as good as it could have possibly been. Without the Star Trek name nothing about the movie would have been memorable. It was pretty solidly mediocre. So there's another +1 for him.

Mediocre is a big win when the risk of that movie being beyond terrible was very real. So that's ok. Maybe the next one will have an interesting story that goes beyond "hey, remember these names? We never saw this part of the story! YEAH!"

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
rrr_img_15823.jpg

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I always thought this and kept it to myself, around my bros. I really dug the emotion of the Darth Maul fight, but it was just choreographed to look like a ballet, I wish fucking lay off the over the top silly sword fights where everyone aims at the sword and not the person.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
compared to the other trek movies how would you guys rate the reboot?

id say 4>2>reboot>3>6>1>5>TNG treks

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
compared to the other trek movies how would you guys rate the reboot?

id say 4>2>reboot>3>6>1>5>TNG treks
Original Series:
6>4>2>Reboot>5>3>1

TNG:
Generations>First Contact>Nemesis>Insurrection

I like all the movies. However, the first one, ST:The Motion Picture, is the least enjoyable for me. Just very sterile.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
4>2>reboot>6>1>3>5

first contact>generations>insurrection>nemesis

tos>ds9>tng>enterprise>voyager

Flame on, Johnny Storms.

iannis

Musty Nester
You guys like the whales more than khan?

I like the whales too, don't get me wrong. But... KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN is just so epic.

He did a lot of LDS back in the 60's is also fairly epic, and show us vour nuklear wessels.

I'd still have to go with khan tho. Spock dies!

oops. spoiler alert.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Khaaaaaaaan is indeed awesome and when i saw this in the theater at 11 i used to do that scene whenever i could. it also has the most dramatic scene in all the star trek movies put together. when spock dies and he tells kirk hes his best friend. shit had me crying my little eyes out. that aside, 4 is just such cool story, its funny as hell too. its got the best lines, kirk and spock are kickass together on screen and the film has a genuinely happy ending.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Khan is a great movie and my second best for a reason. But as I've stated before, Trek has a feel that Voyage just captured for me more than any of the others. The characters being fishes out of water, so to speak, and the fact that Spock let each character really have a scene or two to shine, made it the movie that felt most like Trek to me. And they were allowed to really play up the humor, which was a really big part of the appeal of the original series.

In terms of the larger Trek mythos, however, Khan is clearly the superior movie. The way it brought back a choice Kirk made in the series and the consequences of that choice playing out on the big screen made it an really good movie, no less so for coming after the cerebrally-interesting and cinematically-snooze-inducing first movie. Spock's dying felt earned and tragic, even though every time I see Shatner giving his "the most............human." speech I can't help but crack up. I loved Nimoy finally getting to do the "these are the voyages" as the ship sails away.

Yet in an effort to avoid getting scolded for straying into the wrong fictional universe, let me get back on topic: Star Wars is a thing. Discuss.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
All I know is they need the best casting choice ever for a grown up Ahsoka Tano and to actually embrace the Clone Wars storylines. There needs to be some continuation beyond a new trilogy and merchandise whoring and that requires a generation that isn't geriatric.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
All I know is they need the best casting choice ever for a grown up Ahsoka Tano and to actually embrace the Clone Wars storylines. There needs to be some continuation beyond a new trilogy and merchandise whoring and that requires a generation that isn't geriatric.
I agree 100% with this. I think Clone Wars should end with Ahsoka getting trapped in suspended animation or carbonite or something. The new movies could start with her getting thawed. Not only would this connect the Clone Wars era with the new movies, Ahsoka would in effect become the new Luke (in terms of his role in the original trilogy). Luke would become Ahsoka's Obiwan/Yoda, and they would have a very interesting connection through Anakin/Vader.