JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Hamil is pretty successful with his voice work, and it isn't as if they could do it without him. If you're going to bring back Han and Leia without Luke that would be retarded. Carrie Fisher.... yeah.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if hamill wasnt there for a sequel then the story would have been doomed to fail.

and for some reason this keeps popping up on my recommended list in youtube.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy fuck this is going to be an epic train wreck. I take everything back, this may well end up worse than the prequels.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you are overreacting. there is no jar jar. no young anakin and no gungans. its already a million times better.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It cant possibly fail because lucas already bottomed the franchise. If the movie was 2 hours of a wookie wiping his ass with an ewok it would still be bettet than all 3 prequels combined.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't know. Watching two hours of that sounds pretty terrible. I might watch it over Episode I since I've never seen it, but it's possible I'd walk out in the middle of the film.

Sterling

El Presidente
Setting the bar at "Can't be worse than the prequels" isn't exactly a high hurdle. Plenty of room to be better than the sequels and still not be particularly good.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its not going to be as good as star wars. because star wars was fresh and original (for its time even though it was based off a serial from the 30s), but as sequels go it cant be as bad as the prequels. so basically it just has to be as good as return of the jedi, which i think Abrams can accomplish

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
It cant possibly fail because lucas already bottomed the franchise.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

and for some reason this keeps popping up on my recommended list in youtube.
Watching that video makes me sad. You can SEE from the looks on everyone's face during some of the line readings that they knew it was a train wreck--they knew it. But everyone was scared to talk. So sad, because the overall plot/direction of the prequels wasn't bad at all. But Lucas is terrible with dialogue and scene cohesion. One run through of the scripts by experienced writers, that were able to critique it honestly and make changes, would have made these films infinitely better.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
what i dont understand is they saw how bad it was. they lived the aftermath and Lucas doubles down and goes full steam ahead and writes and directs ep2 the same shitty lazy way.

iannis

Musty Nester
Because lucas signs the checks. Even lucas seems to know it's bad, he just doesn't really give a damn. He doesn't quite understand why Star Wars was iconic by his own admission.

So at this point as someone working for him you have 2 options. Stand on your artistic integrity, tell him it's a steaming pile, and demand changes -- or just take the money and the prestige of working on star wars 1-3. Because you know that the prestige of being involved in the project at all was as much a factor as the salary.

When it's time to throw some shit for the movies being awful, who do we blame as fans? We blame Lucas. I'm sure everyone in "the biz" does too, if they're too polite to say it to his face at a dinner party. But what the hell does lucas care about that? They -ARE- too polite to say it to his face at a dinner party. The shit slides right off him too.

Edit: Hell, JarJar was a retarded character and plot device... but he did LOOK good.

I don't think he ever wanted to make them. Not really. I think he even said as much in the past (pre-making them). Getting badgered into making some movies that he doesn't fully understand the appeal of and didn't want to reprise to being with... well, I guess this is what happens. And it's hard to even blame him personally for not giving a fuck. Not really.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If Lucas knows enough to even be able to spill those sorts of beans, then Disney has already failed at keeping him sufficiently out of the loop and irrelevant.

What's the over/under on Abrams bailing on this due to "scheduling conflicts" and Lucas riding in on a CGI dewback to save the day?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if dewbacks are extended universe creations (not Lucas' idea), which he used in his bullshit "fixed" original trilogy. And then now he's retconning all of the extended universe like a fucktard.

Kubla Kas_sl

shitlord
Watching that video, its obvious Jake sucks and they should have picked the other kid but then they claim that some people just audition well. Um, yeah, that is the point of auditions...however, I do feel bad for Jake as he is signing his contract with 4 or 5 agents and coaches (read: sycophants) greedily rubbing their hands as he innocently says, "Wonder if this movie will cost more than 50,000 dollars"... you know they are thinking yeah 50k only as they split up the rest of his shit.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Yeah, I continue to wish they'd just done the continuing adventures of Luke, Leia, and Han with new actors over a second or third generation thing, especially if they keep all the New Jedi Order and Legacy of the Force bullshit intact.