JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

Binkles_sl

shitlord
They can, however, make several terrible movies that, for whatever reason, sell well and make their money back. For instance, perhaps Luke marries a glittering vampire that's actually an ancient robot species in disguise programmed to conceal the offspring of the progenitor of the force. If one uses enough glitter, in the right places, it will sparkle. It may sell well, but it doesn't, necessarily, make it a good movie.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
They can, however, make several terrible movies that, for whatever reason, sell well and make their money back. For instance, perhaps Luke marries a glittering vampire that's actually an ancient robot species in disguise programmed to conceal the offspring of the progenitor of the force. If one uses enough glitter, in the right places, it will sparkle. It may sell well, but it doesn't, necessarily, make it a good movie.
Do you work for Hollywood? Because that would explain a lot.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This talk of recouping the buyout costs had me thinking... what exactly did buying "LucasFilm" get them? The rights to the Star Wars IP in movies and TV, only? Or does that include all the other shit like games, toys, etc?

I can't imagine it would include toys, surely Lucas would sit on that for the rest of his life raking in the cash. Just wondered if anyone knew the details of what Disney actually purchased.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok, so they could never make another movie and probably come out ahead within the next 5 years tops.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I suppose it depends on the definition of "good product." A turd could be a good product if marketed well and, inexplicably, 18-25 year olds buy it. Value is relative and no object possesses intrinsic value. Transformers, Da Vinci Code, Twilight, etc. did not make a lot of money because they were, subjectively, good movies. The whole machine behind them helped create the illusion of them being good products and they raked in the cash. That said, I would be surprised if the sequels were not average, if not above average, in general quality. It's not as if the originals were masterpieces without aid of rose-tinted glasses.
i both agree and disagree. i agree that these movies will rake in the cash no matter what. the younger generation for really all intents and purposes, has horrible taste in movies and the overall quality of truly great movies coming out of hollywood is severely lacking, as instead of a production company taking a risk on an unknown entity, they can just shit out fast and furious 11, which is exactly the same as the previous 10, yet people will still pay to see it.
i disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion on the original star wars movies however. the first 2 films were absolutely masterpieces of cinema. no, they're not as deep and profound as something like "2001: a space odyssey" but they were really the first huge blockbuster space operas and really opened the door for the entire sci fi genre in film. and i am still amazed all these years later at just how well the special effects hold up. i mean, i think the special effects of the originals using models and puppets looks a thousand times better than all of the CGI bullshit that the prequels used.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
the first 2 films were absolutely masterpieces of cinema. no, they're not as deep and profound as something like "2001: a space odyssey" but they were really the first huge blockbuster space operas and really opened the door for the entire sci fi genre in film.
If one defines a masterpiece as: a work done with extraordinary skill; especially : a supreme intellectual or artistic achievement, then I can understand the accomplishment of Star Wars in moving the Sci-Fi genre ahead in film. In that respect, and this may be an internet first, I was wrong. That said, the story varies significantly in terms of cohesion and execution. It comes off as a samurai-influenced spaghetti western soap opera in space. At times, maintaining suspension of disbelief becomes rather onerous or comical. So, a technically adept movie that moves the genre forward is encumbered by a questionable script. In my mind, this limits my adoration for the franchise. Naturally, I loved the movies as a child but, watching them now, my appreciation has waned.

masteen

N00b
I want to stab you for saying this. Not because you're wrong, but you just don't say it. We all know it's going to happen.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
I have faith.
For the sequels, that would seem like a reasonable position to hold.

rrr_img_22115.jpg

I apologize for the poor picture but, guessing blindly, one would expect an average product. The average range possesses the most area and accounts for the largest population of scores, which assumes that the quality of movies is normally distributed. The sequel may not be a quintessential movie, but it should at least be "okay."

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would consider even an "okay" movie to be a failure on their part. They are rid of Lucas and his ego, which were major contributors to the failure of the prequels. They have top men on it. TOP men. And people love to shit on Disney, but they produce a quality product the vast majority of the time. There are some standouts, like Cars 2 or their made for tv shit, but in general they kill it on the regular. When I heard they were going to make Thor, I thought it would be the gayest movie ever made. But they killed it. So I have faith until I have reason not to.

moontayle

Golden Squire
i both agree and disagree. i agree that these movies will rake in the cash no matter what. the younger generation for really all intents and purposes, has horrible taste in movies and the overall quality of truly great movies coming out of hollywood is severely lacking, as instead of a production company taking a risk on an unknown entity, they can just shit out fast and furious 11, which is exactly the same as the previous 10, yet people will still pay to see it.
i disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion on the original star wars movies however. the first 2 films were absolutely masterpieces of cinema. no, they're not as deep and profound as something like "2001: a space odyssey" but they were really the first huge blockbuster space operas and really opened the door for the entire sci fi genre in film. and i am still amazed all these years later at just how well the special effects hold up. i mean, i think the special effects of the originals using models and puppets looks a thousand times better than all of the CGI bullshit that the prequels used.
The success of Star Wars caused Moonraker to come into existence. Debating whether or not that's a good thing.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The success of Star Wars caused Moonraker to come into existence. Debating whether or not that's a good thing.
Forget Moonraker, without the "cash in on Star Wars" surge of the time, we wouldn't have had Disney's "The Black Hole". Hopefully Ep. 7 is actually just the rumored remake of The Black Hole with jedi's and a sith lord to serve as a giant fuck you from Disney to the American movie going populace.

iannis

Musty Nester
I remember loving "The Black Hole" as a kid, and then watching it again in my late teens and thinking it was retarded.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
This talk of recouping the buyout costs had me thinking... what exactly did buying "LucasFilm" get them? The rights to the Star Wars IP in movies and TV, only? Or does that include all the other shit like games, toys, etc?

I can't imagine it would include toys, surely Lucas would sit on that for the rest of his life raking in the cash. Just wondered if anyone knew the details of what Disney actually purchased.
Like Draegan said, it's everything. All the toys, movies, licensing, etc.

If you've ever been to Disney, and seen the hordes at Star Tours, the Indiana Jones show, or any of the other Lucasarts tie-ins you can see this is a very good purchase for Disney.

I'm hopeful they'll do for Star Wars similar to what they've done for Marvel movies, and turn things around.

Everything Star Wars wasn't completely terrible in the last decade. Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars stories were by and large very good. I think Disney exec's will be smart enough to realize the key to Star Wars growth is aiming it at a more widespread audience, including adults.

The Black Hole didn't age well, but for a Sci Fi movie in 1979 it was pretty dang good. I loved it when it came out. It and Flash Gordon are cheesy as hell but still fun if you've never seen them.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
George? Is that you?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Like Draegan said, it's everything. All the toys, movies, licensing, etc.

If you've ever been to Disney, and seen the hordes at Star Tours, the Indiana Jones show, or any of the other Lucasarts tie-ins you can see this is a very good purchase for Disney.

I'm hopeful they'll do for Star Wars similar to what they've done for Marvel movies, and turn things around.

Everything Star Wars wasn't completely terrible in the last decade. Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars stories were by and large very good. I think Disney exec's will be smart enough to realize the key to Star Wars growth is aiming it at a more widespread audience, including adults.

The Black Hole didn't age well, but for a Sci Fi movie in 1979 it was pretty dang good. I loved it when it came out. It and Flash Gordon are cheesy as hell but still fun if you've never seen them.
I thought it even went past the "Star wars" and into the actual studios themselves, like Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound which do a shit ton of their own business. Industrial Light and Magic has basically worked on almost every good fx movie in the past 3 decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industr...ed_filmography