JJ Abrams to direct new Star Wars movie

Not really much rage here, I just won't pay to see the film. I'll pirate it.

I'm more surprised that people actually enjoy lens flare and are defending Abrams use of it. To each his own I guess, I might buy a dvd version of it one day if they remove all the lighting effects. If they don't I can go on. My life won't end because somebody made a version of Star Wars I find annoying.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, you have to actively be trying to let that stuff bother you. I actually bought Star Trek this week just so I could watch it again because I never had an issue the first 4-5 times I saw it. It was pretty much, "Oh, that's what they're complaining about" during the first half hour, then I forgot about it by the time they left Iowa and started enjoying the movie again.

Maybe for you. I think it depends on the person.

When I watched Star Trek in the theater it bothered me. Somebody mentioning it online isn't what caused me to notice it.

I have no idea how many people are annoyed by it but if you aren't one of them more power to you. I'm not suggesting everybody should hate lens flare just that I won't pay to see a film with a lot of it. I can accept the fact that people like things I might not, can you?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's fine you don't like lens flare, it's ridiculous you allow it to ruin a movie for you that was otherwise fantastic. I care about plot, characters and dialog personally and I would hazard a guess that the majority of people do as well.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
It's fine you don't like lens flare, it's ridiculous you allow it to ruin a movie for you that was otherwise fantastic. I care about plot, characters and dialog personally and I would hazard a guess that the majority of people do as well.
I didn't notice the lens flare my first time through but I did notice the plot, characters and dialog. I haven't watched it a second time.

ehh, I guess I take a different perspective when it comes to movies. I agree that plot / story are the most important part of a film but if that was all I was interested in I would just read a book.

When you pay to see a movie you are watching something on screen. The visual aspects of the film are important even if not as important as the plot / story.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
as much as i hated abrams's version of spock i didnt let it ruin the movie for me. mostly because i liked the original star trek for kirk. spock was always just kirk's righthand man. for this movie they got so many characters right i didnt mind they fucked up one of them. the lens flare didnt even register with me. in other words, dont let one thing ruin your enjoyment of an entire film. if lens flare the only thing they get wrong with the star wars sequels, then we should be in store for a hell of a movie.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I considered pirating all of X-Men films when I found out Wolverine wasn't going to be wearing yellow spandex. That shit is just unacceptable.

Rotanee_sl

shitlord
I like this choice. JJ. Abrams does like the open ended, no answers approach seen a lot with Lost and then with Cloverfield. Star Trek and Super 8 though are good in their own right, both taken in different directions with success. I'm never bored with his movies.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I watched Super 8 this week for the first time. Lens flare just too heavy.

The viewing experience is:

So here they're trying to <lens flare>what the hell. . . oh they better bare careful <lens flare>damn it!. . . oh so this guy and the girl actually like<lens flare>damn it again!!

Also annoying too is I know that it's gotta be added in post (95% of it). So there's a team of guys (a couple anyway) who spend their time on the film finding places to put in lens flare and ways to make it look cool on screen.

Just totally un-necessary.
Yeah, see I didn't notice it at all in Super 8. I guess I'm just not as sensitive to this shit as others.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
True that plot, character and dialogue is what makes a good movie. Of all the projects that JJ Abrams has been involved with I most liked Cloverfield, which is very under-rated, as the bulk of people wanted it to be aMonstermovie when it was really a movie about the people in the middle of this major event. Alsono lens flare.I'm not saying that his presense is going to ruin Star Wars 7, I'll just go in knowing that I'm going to see his style.

But getting back to the lens flare, the issue I have with it is that it just sits over the top of the image I'm looking at, it isn't natural and therefore stands out. It's an un-necessary addition.

Hey and another thing: I watched the videos thatparanoiaposted and in the second one, the host said JJ Abrams has been quoted as saying that the lens flare isn't added later that it is produced on-set. I call BS on that, it's through all of the SFX shots, the ones that are 100% CGI. But lens flare is even used the ones where CGI is only a part of the image, ie actors in foreground with digital ( or partial digital ) background or elements. The lens flare could not be natural in these shots and again would need to be added after the SFX shot is completed.

p.s. Yeah I just noticed the irony of my avatar, while I'm taking this side of the conversation.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Star Trek is not a good movie by any objective standard, even a non-nerd one.

"JJ" trashed Star Trek. That's not to say many of the older movies were great; they were good to mediocre to bad. He still totally trashed the Star Trek franchise and made it into an action, lens flare blob of an incoherent mess.

Product placement, Kirk making captain for no reason, Spock making out, explaining nothing about the plot ("red matter".. ok), on and on.

He's a fucking disgrace, and he'll disgrace Star Wars as equally as he did Trek.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I love that lens flare is literally the only complaint raging Internet nerds can bring up.
Oh, there are absolutely plenty more, from any perspective. He's a terrible director, but he makes money because sheep buy tickets to his movies, so he gets to make more of them.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
. . . Spock making out . . .
Yeah that so stood out. Vulcan's are supposed to be passionless and emotionless outside of pon-farr (sp?? - I'm not sure, going by the sound ) but here we see him holding a normal human-like relationship.

What Redlettermedia's Mr Plinket review called 'the not-gays'. That there's a strong need to depict every character as clearly hetro.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

"JJ" trashed Star Trek. That's not to say many of the older movies were great; they were good to mediocre to bad. He still totally trashed the Star Trek franchise and made it into an action, lens flare blob of an incoherent mess.

Product placement, Kirk making captain for no reason, Spock making out, explaining nothing about the plot ("red matter".. ok), on and on.

He's a fucking disgrace, and he'll disgrace Star Wars as equally as he did Trek.
Star Trek was amazing. So amazing that I double posted. That is how amazing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Star Trek was amazing. You are a bad person and should feel bad.
rrr_img_12122.jpg