Job Hunting

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Had two technical interviews this week. Killed one and I think I killed the other. One is for the Top Secret clearance job in VA. The other is for a Dev job that will require a lot of travel.. so idk.

Trave Monday to Thursday. Work remote from home on Friday. Not sure how I feel about that.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Had two technical interviews this week. Killed one and I think I killed the other. One is for the Top Secret clearance job in VA. The other is for a Dev job that will require a lot of travel.. so idk.

Trave Monday to Thursday. Work remote from home on Friday. Not sure how I feel about that.
Where in VA?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Also, the GS-15 who I support, I essentially did his job for him, just moved into a SES spot. Hoping I can get the job he vacated, which should be a 14/15.

It'll probably take 6 months to even post the job, and I'm doing it all right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Also, the GS-15 who I support, I essentially did his job for him, just moved into a SES spot. Hoping I can get the job he vacated, which should be a 14/15.

It'll probably take 6 months to even post the job, and I'm doing it all right now.
I hate that, I am really trying to find a better spot.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I'm going to VA next week for the final interview.

Also passed the second technical interview for another company.

And I got a call from VISA and they just sent me a link to their developer test... Need to do that by tomorrow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Any ideas where to go for jobs for a Nursing Practitioner (Pediatrics) recent graduate?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Looks like I'm going to VA next week for the final interview.

Also passed the second technical interview for another company.

And I got a call from VISA and they just sent me a link to their developer test... Need to do that by tomorrow.
Good luck. If you get an offer from the Herdon job, make sure to take into account the retarded CoL in this area when negotiating a salary

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Good luck. If you get an offer from the Herdon job, make sure to take into account the retarded CoL in this area when negotiating a salary

They told me to ballpark expect 110-130.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Any ideas where to go for jobs for a Nursing Practitioner (Pediatrics) recent graduate?

Usually there is some large health system in your area (in mine we have Cape Fear and First Health), and you can check on their website for openings in all of their clinics and hospitals.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, anyone know where I should start looking for a tech side job? Looking to maximize my income for the next couple years to start putting money away for early retirement.

SeanDoe1z1

I'll be honest man, if you are not prior service I don't know that I would put much energy into getting a GS position. Unless you are willing to move anywhere in the US (world even) it's super hard to compete against candidates who have preferences. The process is simple though, apply through usajobs.gov. You should get emails periodically letting you know when the job closes and if you made the referral list or not. I've applied for many, and as someone with non prior service, I've hit the maximum score on every application and not been referred just to give an idea. I used to work for DIA though and they have an excepted system (pay and benefits identical to GS, but you don't get any status and aren't eligible to transfer to GS jobs) so you can always look at excepted agencies like DIA, NSA and most all of the justice departments.

Contracting on the other hand is relatively easy to get into. The main hurdle is finding someone to get you a clearance. Once you have it though, you can pretty much always stay employed. Pay is good, benefits lack a bit but once you know your way around a little bit you can find a good contract to stay on for many years. If the gov employees like you, then they'll make sure you stick around even when the contract changes companies.

I have been out of service for 4 years or so and I generally kept pretty intelligent company while in. Most of my friends are moving from Sr. Tech positions to managerial slots and have been hounding me to contract out. Offering clearance again and all that.

I have been in civilian IT and its a 9-5, minimal effort, contractor gig would honestly be easier and the allure of not paying taxes on 80% of your income is tempting me.

Marriage is stable, wife and I have been away before. I feel I am stupid for not taking the plunge.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Overseas contracting isn't paying what it once was. They also cap the amount of income you can get tax free now. I mean it's still a good way to make extra money it's just not amazing like it was in the early 2000s. You also have to be overseas for a full year as a contractor to get tax free.

The other trap you have to be careful of is upping your lifestyle to overseas income. I see guys do it all the time and then they can almost never spend anytime conus without going broke.

If you can do it for a year and then get back into a 9-5 though it can be a nice way to pay off debt or put some money away.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

There's pretty much always a shortage of providers in rural areas. My first FT job as a nurse was in a small town of 40k people surrounded by farmland 100 miles in every direction. This tool will show you geographical areas with primary care shortages:

data.HRSA.gov - HPSA Find

Try "nurse practitioner new grad" or "np new grad" in Indeed, narrow to the locale of your choice. I found my rural job through Indeed.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
From nothing more than a few articles I've read and what has happened to the local hospital and one where my house is they both sold (to different companies) to larger ones that apparently from googling cater in a multitude of rural areas to providing stuff billable by medicaid. Apparently it's booming business, the one I googled had new hospitals they had squired in several states with the average population of 10,000 give or take in the area.

SeanDoe1z1

Overseas contracting isn't paying what it once was. They also cap the amount of income you can get tax free now. I mean it's still a good way to make extra money it's just not amazing like it was in the early 2000s. You also have to be overseas for a full year as a contractor to get tax free.

The other trap you have to be careful of is upping your lifestyle to overseas income. I see guys do it all the time and then they can almost never spend anytime conus without going broke.

If you can do it for a year and then get back into a 9-5 though it can be a nice way to pay off debt or put some money away.

That was somewhat of the plan, wife has steady income stateside and this position is one off those kush live in a nice house, have a vehicle, monitor some expensive systems, and be available. About double my income with healthcare included.

Pretty aware of the 330 day rule. I think I could meet that Jan timeline though.

No idea how security clearances work anymore with FBI out of the picture -- i imagine not much difference.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's still the same. If you had one before there's a solid chance they can just reinstate it and get you going on a PRI right away. If it expired (they generally don't expire them at all now, so if it was active within the last 5-6 years you are probably good) then you have to hopefully get an interim and wait on the full investigation.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So, anyone know where I should start looking for a tech side job? Looking to maximize my income for the next couple years to start putting money away for early retirement.

There's a taskrabbit kind of thing for developers. Would be a good place to start maybe? Or peruse craigslist. I got a really sweet side job for a few years just checking out craigslist.