Job Hunting

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Guess it depends on what you are coding. I think IDEs are overkill for banging out scripts or editing confs which is probably what most hardcore VIers are doing.

I think CVS has been around since the 80's. Before that they probably had internal tools or in a lot cases they just had like 2 dudes write the majority of software. Look at Bell Labs for an example.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can't believe people still really develop anything in VIM considering IDE's exist

And this is coming from a guy who wrote COM scripts on a DEC Alpha running OpenVMS as a first job...

IDE's are generally out of favor when so much work is done with JavaScript, Python and their variants.

To follow the alavaz comment here. If you're just knocking out scripts and configurations for a lot of stuff. You don't need the compiler. This has led to the popularity of just using highly modified text editors (like my bae Sublime Text) with a ton of extensions rather than actually running Visual Studio/NetBeans/Eclipse/etc. Microsoft has made Visual Studio Code explicitly for that reason.

I only came back to VS Code because I could use the Sublime Text plugin. ST has so many features that I never knew I needed. Combined with stuff like Live Server you can crank shit out really really fucking quick.

I honestly don't know how VIM dudes keep up other than that they are extremely experienced in the specific niche they happen to work in and can get away with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a few vi pros here and watching them work is sort of magical. I can get around in it barely for fast text editing but I pull stuff off and edit in either notepad++ or straight in the winscp text editor. I'm a fan of using whatever is fastest for yourself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't see the point of an IDE for an interpreted language really. Powershell tried to get fancy with their ISE and running scripts in the debug console didn't always have the same behavior as they did when you ran them in production. To me it's just way easier to use my favorite text editor and keep a prompt open. Change script, test in prompt, repeat.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why would you not want an IDE for Python?

A text editor like Sublime with the python extension is indistinguishable from say, Visual Studio Professional, but doesn't have deadweight stuff like the compiler and you can more quickly open config files for other things right there in the same editor. Since you can have the terminal in it also it is just much more lightweight.

I mean nothing stops you from using VS Professional 2017. But that requires constant connectivity and it wigs out a lot because it wants a new password every week it seems. Fucks with your SSO at my office at least... and so on. Text editors have none of those issues.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Had to whiteboard some code today in an interview. Luckily it was super easy.

Interviewers were techbros though and the office is mega trendy. Which I dislike. I think it went really well. But the guy said some weird stuff.

Like it will take some time to get back to you and we have a number of positions open.

Two more calls this week too.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Whelp, didn't get that one either. But the lead interviewer did call me personally and tell me that he really liked me and thought I was talented and that he really enjoyed speaking with me. I have read that the CEO has to approve all hires and who knows what I fucked up on.

Unfortunate, I thought that interview went really well. Oh well two more next week.

It was certainly a vast improvement from the first interview I had in this thread. Time to study up for this DevOps interview for the weekend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Whelp, didn't get that one either. But the lead interviewer did call me personally and tell me that he really liked me and thought I was talented and that he really enjoyed speaking with me. I have read that the CEO has to approve all hires and who knows what I fucked up on.

Unfortunate, I thought that interview went really well. Oh well two more next week.

It was certainly a vast improvement from the first interview I had in this thread. Time to study up for this DevOps interview for the weekend.

DevOps isn't a job.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
DevOps is hipster slang for putting your docker confs in a git repo. All joking aside though I was doing what people call "devops" now 10 years ago and we just called it "configuration management" back then.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'd say it's only real important now because everyone is balls deep in AWS and similar cloud hosting services. Which is where docker and shit really shine.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Had two more interviews in the past two weeks. One was quite far outside my areas of expertise so I was pretty surprised I even got the interview. I was turned to this position by an acquaintance of mine. The interview itself went fine and they didn't ask a lot of technical questions. I really clicked well with the Lead Engineer but like I said. They needed someone with 5-7 years of expertise in MicroStrategy which is something I haven't used a lot and when I did it was 5 years ago.

So I understand why they decided to pass on me. The hiring manager called me and said it was close though but they really needed someone to help them with that tool and their timeline was short to initiate the data platform they needed to deploy.

The other one I think I rekt. For a security company that makes a lot of passport/Id card systems and other cryptography stuff. I nailed all of their technical questions and even found a defect in their test itself. The director interviewing me was a French and I think he was making fun of me at certain points but whatever. The Team lead engineer said he was looking to expand his teams skills and wanted someone with my knowledge of performance engineering to add to his team and that he really liked my CV. I am more confident I'll receive an offer on this one than any of the previous interviews but in all of this crapshoot who knows man. That's the frustrating part. Prepare as you might it I always walk out thinking I should have said this or that to a question and make sure to take note about that. Never really know what you got wrong even if you knew most of the material they tested you on. Team lead was also an Iraq veteran from a foreign army which was cool.

I do kind of like iterating through my, "personal brand" as all of these interviews ask the same behavioral questions more or less so I have just been refining my answers. Making sure I bring up what products of their company I researched and like, why I would be a good addition and embellish as much as I can without lying about shit outright. Definitely a learning experience. But I will be glad when it is over.

Here's to hoping.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it's this kind of shit that makes me rage at how retarded hiring processes are.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent.
Hi TJT,

Thank you for reaching out. I was hoping for guidance on Friday but expected it might be the new year due to holidays. As expected OTHER TEAM MEMBER is out of pocket until after the new year. I will provide guidance and next steps sometime next week.

Please let me know if that causes an issue with your timing?

Thank you again for following up.

Hiring Manager

So I went to the interview on 20DEC2018. It went really well they told me their holiday schedule and I followed up on 27DEC2018 to which I received this response immediately. This week was New Years but I followed up again on 03JAN2019 to which they didn't respond at all. I mean it's possible I'll hear something next week I guess but I'm already writing it off. I've had hiring managers tell me that they will be happy to have me on their team... then never respond again. Unprofessional garbage all around. These were all from major companies.

Shit is real retarded bros.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

SeanDoe1z1

Wife was in same timeline as you and people are just catching up to their jobs. Finally got a word back. Managers love to fuckoff around holidays, heres to hoping.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'm not real sure what happened to the professionalism in hiring these days, but I've had lots of shit experiences like that and it's all been within the last 3-4 years. The irony is that I've had more than one prospect where the recruiter/manager/whatever have ghosted me only to be re-contacted like six months later about the same position. I took the opportunity one time to unload on the recruiter and tell him that I'd never consider a job with company X even if they doubled my salary and halved my responsibility because it was very clear they sorely lacked in professionalism. He sort of dejectedly told me that I wasn't the first person to say something similar.

If Bragg is still a place you are interested in I'm fairly positive we still have a few openings. We are in the midst of trying to square away our contract though, so I will caution that but we're pretty sure it will work out and we'll be solid for another 5ish years.