Job Hunting

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So this is a general question of something I've just sort of noticed. If you apply to jobs and say you don't pass the initial screening of your resume they send you some email like, "blah blah we are pursuing other candidates."

But for several positions I've applied to over the past few years you do a few interviews and then they just ghost you. I don't particularly care that's just part of life. But is it weird or normal that the company interviewing you just stops talking you rather than inform you that they're looking at other candidates.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So this is a general question of something I've just sort of noticed. If you apply to jobs and say you don't pass the initial screening of your resume they send you some email like, "blah blah we are pursuing other candidates."

But for several positions I've applied to over the past few years you do a few interviews and then they just ghost you. I don't particularly care that's just part of life. But is it weird or normal that the company interviewing you just stops talking you rather than inform you that they're looking at other candidates.
Weird and shitty, but it seems more and more common now.

Use it as a sign of a shitty management chain and/or shitty HR

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Weird and shitty, but it seems more and more common now.

Use it as a sign of a shitty management chain and/or shitty HR

I suppose. It's just dumb. Just a canned response of, "pursing other candidates" would be fine. If it's fine at the initial resume screening not sure why it's faux pas later in the process.

Going to VA on 8 November for 6 hours of interviews.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider

I worked in staffing for 3 years and sadly this is just life for almost all companies. Most places have garbage hiring practices and this is just a part of it. Some parts of the country are worse than others and some industries same. Definitely don't take it personal because it's not you but if you've interviewed and not heard anything 5-10 business days after I'd write it off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
well took the dive, and left my long term consulting job with a bank. Hired to work for a mid size security firm, running their new Cyber Range program, working to set up our MSSP other various more interesting stuff aside from sitting overtop a PKI program. Plus they are letting me bring my idea forward, they will develop at their expense in exchange for me getting a cut of the sales.

SeanDoe1z1

Datapath trying to close the deal on a position for a dod ctr position. Really like my contact (ex coworker, smart guy I mesh with). Only heard bad things about them in 2012-14, but everything is appearing legit on paper. He obviously hasn't been burned by them last 3 years.

bring on the horror stories to scare me.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
As long as the customer you work with is cool, the contractor doesn't seem to matter that much unless the benefits really really suck or they are bad with money and can't make payroll.

I've never heard of DataPath. Seems like Vectrus is the one always hitting me up for overseas shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well had the interview up in VA yesterday. I don't think it went too badly but I am extraordinarily harsh on myself when it comes to my interview performances I've learned. So who knows.

It was 6 interviews with 7 people lasting from 0900 to 1300. No breaks. Will have results next week.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So their office called me at like 6PM last night and I was driving and didn't answer. I tried to call back but I didn't receive a voicemail or email and the receptionist girl couldn't direct me anywhere as I didn't have any information.

Now I'm all reading into this like a retard.

• 1Worf

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
There is snow in the region, 99% chance the hiring manager died in a horrible 900 car wreck on 495

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So it seems I did not get that job. While I didn't get any feedback other than that I didn't get it I imagine what got me is that I did not know some explicit low level stuff they had asked me. I fully expected code questions and they gave me one. Which I nailed.

I had read a book on this type of developer position and thought I was well prepared. While I understood what all of the more popular tools they use were, what they did, and how they worked. I did not spend much time learning all of their explicit commands. I said I would just look them up when I needed to use them. I later learned that living in the terminal is like 80% of this job.

I don't work on linux servers all the time at my current position. While I can navigate around and do whatever. Use the pipeline, manage files, environment, and whatever. A lot of it is not on the top of my head. So when asked I was all, "well its CHMOD, but I don't remember the exact argument to give it to alter a file's user group permissions." A 15 second search would provide you that information and remind you of the octal notation. It would become second nature within a day.

The same goes for the other tool commands they asked me. That shit ain't hard. I just had never personally used any of it (yet).

Oh well live and learn. Have another interview on Wednesday for an, "AI" developer position. I am getting extremely good at interviews. lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
So it seems I did not get that job. While I didn't get any feedback other than that I didn't get it I imagine what got me is that I did not know some explicit low level stuff they had asked me. I fully expected code questions and they gave me one. Which I nailed.

I had read a book on this type of developer position and thought I was well prepared. While I understood what all of the more popular tools they use were, what they did, and how they worked. I did not spend much time learning all of their explicit commands. I said I would just look them up when I needed to use them. I later learned that living in the terminal is like 80% of this job.

I don't work on linux servers all the time at my current position. While I can navigate around and do whatever. Use the pipeline, manage files, environment, and whatever. A lot of it is not on the top of my head. So when asked I was all, "well its CHMOD, but I don't remember the exact argument to give it to alter a file's user group permissions." A 15 second search would provide you that information and remind you of the octal notation. It would become second nature within a day.

The same goes for the other tool commands they asked me. That shit ain't hard. I just had never personally used any of it (yet).

Oh well live and learn. Have another interview on Wednesday for an, "AI" developer position. I am getting extremely good at interviews. lol.

Yeah that's a bummer when they get too focused on textbook questions to judge your knowledge. Though depending on how they worded the questions they may have been looking for CHGRP/CHOWN and not CHMOD. I've been on both sides where people I know could do the job have been passed up because they didn't have a few commands at the top of their head and I've also see guys get hired that seemingly know Linux in and out and then can't accomplish the simplest of tasks when they get on the job.

As an aside, I used to work with a manager who, for some reason thought that vi skills == unix/linux skills. So he insisted on asking vi questions and would get agitated when like 90% of people would say they used nano or didn't edit very large txt files directly on the machine, but pulled them off and used notepad++. I think it's ridiculous to get hung up on tool choice, but a lot of people in this profession do.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm not surprised. Ever watch Silicon Valley? That show is barely satire. People get fucking hung up on shit like tabs vs spaces. It's a field full of aspies.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I never understood dudes who obsess over VIM. There are like three guys in my office who are VIM gurus and will jump down your throat if you use any inferior pleb editor (in their minds). They are all older and started working in the late 80's/early 90's. Yeah sure its kind of cool you can navigate VIM like an ace pilot, in a retro sort of way... but why?

Personally I am all about the sublime text. A friend of mine turned me onto it some years ago and I love that shit. Primarily because it has so many extensions that just make customizing it for X task a dream.

Although I was seriously wondering how people handled code merges back in the day. Git makes it super easy and people still fuck it up constantly.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not surprised. Ever watch Silicon Valley? That show is barely satire. People get fucking hung up on shit like tabs vs spaces. It's a field full of aspies.
I agree with you in general. But tabs are for faggots.

• 1Worf
  • 1Cringe

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I never understood dudes who obsess over VIM. There are like three guys in my office who are VIM gurus and will jump down your throat if you use any inferior pleb editor (in their minds). They are all older and started working in the late 80's/early 90's. Yeah sure its kind of cool you can navigate VIM like an ace pilot, in a retro sort of way... but why?

Personally I am all about the sublime text. A friend of mine turned me onto it some years ago and I love that shit. Primarily because it has so many extensions that just make customizing it for X task a dream.

Although I was seriously wondering how people handled code merges back in the day. Git makes it super easy and people still fuck it up constantly.

Can't believe people still really develop anything in VIM considering IDE's exist

And this is coming from a guy who wrote COM scripts on a DEC Alpha running OpenVMS as a first job...