Job Hunting

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I applied to a place that I know I would have been perfect for - I even had a upper management personal recommendation. I heard back like nine fucking months later. I already had another job. Kinda sucks because the company was pre-IPO and they were just purchased by SAP for eight billion. That would have been a very nice pay day.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had akamai pull some of that shit. A month if back and forth with them saying "well let you know soon" and even mentioned it was between me and someone else. It felt way too hard to get hired there.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm currently looking pretty hard for a new job myself. Blanketing out resumes is all I've done so far (only been doing it 2 days) but Indeed makes it so easy to just blanket out shit and follow up later I have sent out like 100.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Interviewed this morning for a job I really want. First contact made by them yesterday, emails and 4 phone calls with 4 different people. Met in person today.

This is the worst part of interviewing; the waiting. Especially because there was SO MUCH all at once yesterday, makes the "radio silence" period feel longer.

Doesn't help that I actually want the job and it sounds badass. That makes it worse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I had a 5 hour onsite interview last Wednesday... will follow up today but may be another write off. Living in a tech oriented city like Austin makes me realize just how much competition you have for anything. This is most likely why they can get away with shunning people just because you don't have some experience in a specific tool they prefer to use. Annoying. I was talking to some guys who moved here from Phoenix and its almost the complete opposite there. Far less talent so far less scrutiny for most positions.

On the plus side I got to see my shitty manager fired yesterday and walked out of the office. So that was cool. Our temporary manager said that basically no work will be happening until the reorganization is complete.

But no layoffs for me. Although that package would have been fucking sweet. I'd almost prefer it. Time to finish some certifications and just keep on applying to stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So another (3rd) phone interview today and an onsite somewhere else tomorrow. Got another cryptic from a response from a job I was actually really interested in.

Did two of their phone interviews. Went well, dude said will plan an onsite and their office girl sends me this telling me that they are shuffling roles so the one they contacted and were interviewing me for is now being split into several positions and they'll get back to me. ???
TJT you are correct. Next steps for you would be an onsite interview, however, we need to have internal discussions on the new role before we schedule office interviews.

Hope that answers your question,
Office Girl

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Got an offer and still another interview this week. Yay.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So, what I've learned in this experience....
  1. Nearly all companies hiring practices are fucking garbage.
  2. Most recruiters are terrible at their jobs.
  3. You can be eliminated from consideration as a candidate for almost any reason.
  4. Technical Interviews are often not aligned with the actual needs of the role.
I accepted the first offer here but I was put in a position where that offer window would close before I had the chance to go to the other interview I committed to at all. This is the fault of the other company, Adobe, because they had to push up my date by over a week for basically no reason.

But I will still go to the other interview at Adobe next week and see what happens. I will say that the company who offered first really has good recruiting. Their recruiter contacted me for the position and the process was quite nice. They offered within 30 minutes of me leaving the interview and were prepared to let me finish out the other interviews before needing a response. Pretty much a class act compared to the other trash I've dealt with since November.

Will be a nice change to go to an office of 30 people as opposed to monolithic GM. This company has like 5000 employees total.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
TJT TJT if you are still looking and interested in working in the Northern VA area, PM me. Happy to reach out to PMs at my company (which is massive) who have openings. Forgot if you had an active clearance or not, which is probably required for 99% of our jobs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It's cool. TY though.

So, do any of you have experience with accepting offer letters and then having to rescind them if you get something better? I am in the position where I will be accepting this offer letter, putting in my two weeks. But still have two remaining final interviews in the next two weeks.

Don't want to dick them over or anything but also don't want to rob myself of a potentially better one.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's cool. TY though.

So, do any of you have experience with accepting offer letters and then having to rescind them if you get something better? I am in the position where I will be accepting this offer letter, putting in my two weeks. But still have two remaining final interviews in the next two weeks.

Don't want to dick them over or anything but also don't want to rob myself of a potentially better one.

I have rescinded a signed offer letter before before I started, but I have never got on the job then left like 2-3 weeks later for a better one. I don't see anything wrong with it, it will be awkward but you gotta go with the best fit for you.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have rescinded a signed offer letter before before I started, but I have never got on the job then left like 2-3 weeks later for a better one. I don't see anything wrong with it, it will be awkward but you gotta go with the best fit for you.

Oh I don't mean to leave the job in 2-3 weeks after starting. I have an onsite with Adobe this week. But waiting for that would put me out of the running for the job offer letter I have right now. I have the Adobe one and another this coming week. I still want to go to them and see what happens. No matter what this would all pan out before I actually am supposed to start the new job later in March.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Just accept, since you have zero gurantee adobe will even offer, and have the time to consider if you do start late March.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah accept it and finish the others out. If the conversation goes the direction of "when would you be looking to start if we select you," you may even want to mention to them that you have other offers. If they like you they may expedite their own offer.

If you do wind up rescinding one you've already signed, just call the recruiter or manager that sent you the letter and tell them you wound up having a better offer come in. The previous company may even try to compete and give you better pay and what not. I had that happen to me once, I took a new job, current company offered me a decent raise, called to say I was rescinding and the new company said "name your price." I went ridiculous (in my mind at the time) and they said no problem. I went from making 75k to 110k just like that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users