Job Hunting

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Our largest customer just purchased us. Still waiting to see what their plans are, but my role (production planning/analyst) isn’t really as necessary in a vertical operation, and while I have a lot of experience in manufacturing, I don’t want to manage people anymore.
Fed up with LinkedIn/Indeed, but haven’t found much else worthwhile.

SeanDoe1z1

It was announced today that our CFO and COO are leaving. Not great. But we also went public seven months ago and maybe they're just cashing out and fucking off.

My ceo dropped out basically went out with a “I would be a fool to pass this job up”

Possible the same lucrative market is hitting upper jobs too.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Well, I got pushed out from one job today. Acquired back in Q1/Q2 last year. Back in August, there was a merger. Then another company came on board in Oct.

I guess they looked at the financials and are giving me the boot. I'm training two people in the Ukraine and one in South America to take over my duties. Not an insignificant bonus if I cooperate and check boxes for the next two weeks. I'm going to try to negotiate the severance to be more than a month plus bonus though. Ask for 3, hope for 2.

Joys of being a middle age fuckin' white male. You can actually be excused.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Similarly! The guy who I worked for at my second consultancy job got fired on Friday. It was bizarre too. We had our regular meeting in the morning then the VP of Product contacts me and tells me that he's out. Then told me to contact this other director I was working with, drop all the projects I had and just do what she asked. I am in a position of being one of only a handful of people at the company who have been digging around their data and know where most stuff is and the issues they have with it. So I guess they need me to stick around. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I got laid off there though. I got that big promo and it would give me more time to work on other stuff.

I've been consulting there for 2 years now at $100 an hour. I keep my hours small so its been a nice $40k+ a year for minimal work.

No idea on why the guy got fired but in my call later that day everyone else we work with were shocked as well. Completely unexpected. I wonder what he got fired for. He'd been working there for 7 years and never mentioned anything to me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
God the current tech interview game is fucking awful. One company with a pretty good reputation has thus far conducted 6 interviews: 1 recruiter, 4 staff level tech people, and the hiring manager. 6 hours of interviews, 5 of which were mostly tech screening and live coding. Half of the tech questions were the usual shit and were repeated "what is the keyword volatile?", "what is a semaphore?", "What is priority inversion?"...

The part I really hate is the live coding bullshit. Motherfucker, I go on a murderous rampage when a family member walks into my office when I am trying to write code; believe me it isn't any better when some ultra nerd is watching every fucking character I type and talking to me while I am trying to replicate Android v1 in 28 minutes. I'm really going to have to up my game on live coding I guess.

Another company's process (leadership position) is recruiter interview, HR interview, hiring manager interview, personality test, Director panel interview, VP interview, and ... AND a meeting with an fucking Industrial Psychologist.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
They went from one month of pay severance to two months of pay with me simply asking for it. No conditions on my part. FWIW

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
God the current tech interview game is fucking awful. One company with a pretty good reputation has thus far conducted 6 interviews: 1 recruiter, 4 staff level tech people, and the hiring manager. 6 hours of interviews, 5 of which were mostly tech screening and live coding. Half of the tech questions were the usual shit and were repeated "what is the keyword volatile?", "what is a semaphore?", "What is priority inversion?"...

The part I really hate is the live coding bullshit. Motherfucker, I go on a murderous rampage when a family member walks into my office when I am trying to write code; believe me it isn't any better when some ultra nerd is watching every fucking character I type and talking to me while I am trying to replicate Android v1 in 28 minutes. I'm really going to have to up my game on live coding I guess.

Another company's process (leadership position) is recruiter interview, HR interview, hiring manager interview, personality test, Director panel interview, VP interview, and ... AND a meeting with an fucking Industrial Psychologist.
The past few I've done were more like "take home" assignments between interviews. It was refreshing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Similarly! The guy who I worked for at my second consultancy job got fired on Friday. It was bizarre too. We had our regular meeting in the morning then the VP of Product contacts me and tells me that he's out. Then told me to contact this other director I was working with, drop all the projects I had and just do what she asked. I am in a position of being one of only a handful of people at the company who have been digging around their data and know where most stuff is and the issues they have with it. So I guess they need me to stick around. I wouldn't be heartbroken if I got laid off there though. I got that big promo and it would give me more time to work on other stuff.

I've been consulting there for 2 years now at $100 an hour. I keep my hours small so its been a nice $40k+ a year for minimal work.

No idea on why the guy got fired but in my call later that day everyone else we work with were shocked as well. Completely unexpected. I wonder what he got fired for. He'd been working there for 7 years and never mentioned anything to me.
The new director lol.

She is totally on with keeping me for as long as she can to train some of the analysts she's hiring and pretty much let me dictate my terms. I am at $115 an hour now. For the same shit, for the foreseeable future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The new director lol.

She is totally on with keeping me for as long as she can to train some of the analysts she's hiring and pretty much let me dictate my terms. I am at $115 an hour now. For the same shit, for the foreseeable future.
Im so jelly of you. I can never seem to find peeps willing to let me do part time shit like this. Got a cushy assignment dedicated to a specific team that I'm allocated 20 hours a week to but work a max of 3. Looots of free time. Lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Im so jelly of you. I can never seem to find peeps willing to let me do part time shit like this. Got a cushy assignment dedicated to a specific team that I'm allocated 20 hours a week to but work a max of 3. Looots of free time. Lol
So I'll be getting 15-30 hours depending. Sometimes less when they have lulls which is fine for me. But I fell into it. I was looking for some contracting during Rona and I found it then I shrugged off all of their advances for full time.

Easy money so I'll keep at it.

• 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So, I quit my job. I've been managing a liquor store for 3 years. I started at 39k salary, I was making 41k, few weeks ago owner said 2.5k raise. I basically said get fucked the number is 47.5. He came up to 45. I said I'm leaving. (obviously this is the short version). Store was doing ~800k in sales when I took over, last year was 1.2m. That's an increase of ~115k gross profit. I've done miracles in work, he doesn't realize how fucked he is without me. Irony is that basic math is if I'm 1% better with sales and cost of goods than what you have to replace me (which is gonna be a shitshow) paying me pays for itself, nevermind the cost of hiring and training and stuff. It was a small business, I got 2 weeks vacation and no benefits. Driving was too far and traffic is dicks. It's most definitely better for me to just leave, and I find it funny the owner doesn't realize how much money I've made him vs Joe blow off the street in a market where you can't hire anyone.

Anyways, I'm the worlds worst at selling myself and looking for jobs and stuff. I'll probably reach out to a bunch of the managers for the different distributors and see if any are hiring sales reps, because also something I think I'd fucking crush at. Obviously I'm pretty good at tech/computer stuff. I have some past military experience (flew on JSTARS, radio operator/comm tech, did Stan/Eval stuff on the ground). Any recommendations on things I should look into? Something remote would be great, but I'm open to career type stuff I should look into as well. My main problem has always been I just have no idea what's really out there to even know what I should want to do and am hoping to get thoughts and opinions. I'd like to not step down in pay, but I'm open to the possibility of taking a small cut for gaining benefits and stuff and being in a place where there is potential for real advancement.

• 2Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So, I quit my job. I've been managing a liquor store for 3 years. I started at 39k salary, I was making 41k, few weeks ago owner said 2.5k raise. I basically said get fucked the number is 47.5. He came up to 45. I said I'm leaving. (obviously this is the short version). Store was doing ~800k in sales when I took over, last year was 1.2m. That's an increase of ~115k gross profit. I've done miracles in work, he doesn't realize how fucked he is without me. Irony is that basic math is if I'm 1% better with sales and cost of goods than what you have to replace me (which is gonna be a shitshow) paying me pays for itself, nevermind the cost of hiring and training and stuff. It was a small business, I got 2 weeks vacation and no benefits. Driving was too far and traffic is dicks. It's most definitely better for me to just leave, and I find it funny the owner doesn't realize how much money I've made him vs Joe blow off the street in a market where you can't hire anyone.

Anyways, I'm the worlds worst at selling myself and looking for jobs and stuff. I'll probably reach out to a bunch of the managers for the different distributors and see if any are hiring sales reps, because also something I think I'd fucking crush at. Obviously I'm pretty good at tech/computer stuff. I have some past military experience (flew on JSTARS, radio operator/comm tech, did Stan/Eval stuff on the ground). Any recommendations on things I should look into? Something remote would be great, but I'm open to career type stuff I should look into as well. My main problem has always been I just have no idea what's really out there to even know what I should want to do and am hoping to get thoughts and opinions. I'd like to not step down in pay, but I'm open to the possibility of taking a small cut for gaining benefits and stuff and being in a place where there is potential for real advancement.
Depends on the company/ industry I’m sure, but you can make a good chunk of change doing sales. There’s typically a ton of turnover so chances are one of the distributors you’ve worked with will have an opening. If anything it will be something you can start relatively quickly and give you time to look/decide for something else.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
If you’re good at talking and negotiation you can be an auto damage adjuster for insurance companies. It’s loaded down with work but if you can just cut it off at closing time it’s a great job. Full benefits, profit sharing, company car. Depending on where you live at least 50k starting. My company is trying to hire people like crazy since everyone forgot to drive. You don’t need experience. They need an adult who can work though conversations. The area I’m in they start out 56k.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Are you willing to move or anything? What kind of constraints do you have?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd leverage your experience and look for another store to manage, preferably a bigger one than you're leaving. Kinda crazy that he was willing to let you go over $2500/year.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If you’re good at talking and negotiation you can be an auto damage adjuster for insurance companies. It’s loaded down with work but if you can just cut it off at closing time it’s a great job. Full benefits, profit sharing, company car. Depending on where you live at least 50k starting. My company is trying to hire people like crazy since everyone forgot to drive. You don’t need experience. They need an adult who can work though conversations. The area I’m in they start out 56k.
This is a pretty intriguing option. I'm pretty level headed and calm under pressure. What kind of stuff do you do, and what kind of companies?
Are you willing to move or anything? What kind of constraints do you have?
I'd rather not move, but if something was really attractive I'd consider it
I'd leverage your experience and look for another store to manage, preferably a bigger one than you're leaving. Kinda crazy that he was willing to let you go over $2500/year.
It's super insane to let me walk over that. It's practically nothing. If I'm just 1% better than who replaces me (I'm way more than 1% better) at increasing sales/lower cost of goods I pay for myself, and that's just ignoring the cost of hiring someone.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
slippery slippery Would tech sales interest you? Place I work sells a B2B SAAS enterprise platform. Base salary + commissions

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
slippery slippery Would tech sales interest you? Place I work sells a B2B SAAS enterprise platform. Base salary + commissions
On a base level statement that doesn't sound like me, but I'd have to know more about it.

Some of the ideas people have given me are super worth looking into and sound pretty interesting. Realistically I've got some time to do so because I gave them my last day being the 28th to train the person taking over for me (more than any of them deserve, but it lets me put some more money in my pocket before unexpectedly fucking off) and I'll probably take at least the first 2 weeks of March off, because I really haven't had a vacation in fucking ages. Though during that time I'll definitely still put work into looking at jobs if I haven't found something yet.

I think as a person my biggest skillset is kind of just an inherent understanding of how things work which lends itself really well to problem solving and trouble shooting type stuff. In a lot of ways it's what made me really good at managing a liquor store, because with how good I was at just observing things I could understand what was selling and why or why not, and choose better products. It let me keep a good hold on inventory management because I had a really good idea of spikes and lows, which let me know if/when to buy bigger deals etc. It did a lot for me in places like games raid leading, or even in just random computer stuff building or otherwise. I guess the best way to put it is I'm very mechanical in a sense. I'm good at breaking down systems (which can be people, or actual systems) and understanding how things work.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Sounds like you could move into a software QA department, any of them, and immediately (and I mean right away) get a 30% pay bump. If not 50%. While being remote.

Tech sales is a way, way better option than that. Follow up with TJT TJT for real.

• 1Like