Job Hunting

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So this specific area is called The Galleria. Houston's biggest mall, including a lot of high end retail shops and restaurants, are in this area.

For the last 3 years or so there has been a massive amount of construction at the 59(i-69) and 610 interchange. I would imagine a contributor to that crime would be from all of that constructions in the area.

Muurloen

Man, I thought I found a really good deal for an apartment in the Highlands. Somebody happened to apply for it right before me, it disappeared right under my nose. But based on that video, crime in the Highlands has increased 100% since 2019? Damn. I need to look into those numbers.

edit: looks like they provide the graphs and data here This map shows the biggest violent crime increases in Houston ZIP codes
Highlands Sugar Land or Highlands down I-10 East side going to Beaumont?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Highlands Sugar Land or Highlands down I-10 East side going to Beaumont?
Highland Village (zip code 77027) at the NorthEast corner of the 610 and the 69

I also found a pretty good place in Rice Military. Gonna ask them a quick question tomorrow and if it works out I'll apply for a unit there.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
When the COO sent me the meeting invite, it was for a week sooner. Weird, but no complaints.

Talked to him yesterday and it went pretty well. A little more detail on the company, my experience what my role would be, salary etc. Next steps are a similar conversation with the CAO (Chief Admin Officer) and some kind of quick project I need to throw together and present. COO said they expect it to be about an hour worth of work.
Round 2 ended up being with the COO again, a little more in depth on specifics of in going projects/the kind of stuff I’d be involved in and how my experience translates. COO will be talking to the COA, “will probably want to try all to you as well”.

Just realized I forgot to ask about the presentation thing. Hopefully it won’t be brought up.

would be nice to wrap this up and have a fresh start first thing next year.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
So bit if a holding pattern now. They hadn’t looked at any external candidates and “in fairness to the process blah blah if you’re still interested and don’t mind waiting, we’ll talk in a couple weeks”. Annoyed but can’t fault them for looking around, tons of people looking for this kind of position right now.

I anything the process so far has only reenforced my desired to leave my current job. Time to step it up from casually looking.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Anybody else notice that the labor shortage is pretty much universal? Not just the service industry. Way more jobs than people in my field. I'm very likely to finish the year #1 in the world in ARR again and they better back up the Brincks truck or it might be time to start taking advantage of this insane market.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Securely in my "new" position with the same responsibilities. It is shaping up like I will be lead engineer on this team next year as we grow out this team by 3. Now that the guy I was training just quit on me.

2022 going to be some good shit boys!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Anybody else notice that the labor shortage is pretty much universal? Not just the service industry. Way more jobs than people in my field. I'm very likely to finish the year #1 in the world in ARR again and they better back up the Brincks truck or it might be time to start taking advantage of this insane market.
Just had a director quit after 90 days.

What is happening is that its no longer a candidate who lives in your area competing for the 1000 of X type job in the area. Its a candidate competing for 300000 of X type job available at any given time in the USA. The potential for employees to jump ship is a million times greater due to the remote work revolution. It's going to be rough from here on out but I think that it will ultimately drive salaries to a more equal amount across all regions.

Suppose you have an employer in NYC who would pay $150k for a mid experience software engineer. That employer is now able, or at least more willing, to employ that same software engineer who lives in Dallas and would accept $130k because its a much higher rate for the Dallas area. On the other hand, employers in Dallas now have to pony up more salary than they would otherwise have to because the pool they are competing for is larger. They have to deal with employers all over North America for the same talent pool now.

The benefit of this to employers is that you have much better potential talent competing for your positions. But it won't be at a discount anymore. Taking advantage of lower COL regions in the USA is going to just be a shitload more difficult now.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Suppose you have an employer in NYC who would pay $150k for a mid experience software engineer. That employer is now able, or at least more willing, to employ that same software engineer who lives in Dallas and would accept $130k because its a much higher rate for the Dallas area.

I call it the remote work dividend. Companies on the coasts and some of the big cities in flyover country are willing to pay 50% more than the standard tech company in Bumbfuck OH was a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I took a job with a company on the east coast a couple of years ago and my income is probably in the top 5% for this area of Michigan but that isn't stopping me from looking again. The top remote Senior/Principal/Staff Firmware and Manager/Director positions are pushing into 175-225 territory. Pretty good scratch for walking down to your desk in your underwear.

The problem is that the process of finding solid companies with good culture and interesting problems to solve is a monstrous pain in the ass. 90% of recruiters are complete retards and LinkedIn sucks.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I call it the remote work dividend. Companies on the coasts and some of the big cities in flyover country are willing to pay 50% more than the standard tech company in Bumbfuck OH was a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I took a job with a company on the east coast a couple of years ago and my income is probably in the top 5% for this area of Michigan but that isn't stopping me from looking again. The top remote Senior/Principal/Staff Firmware and Manager/Director positions are pushing into 175-225 territory. Pretty good scratch for walking down to your desk in your underwear.

The problem is that the process of finding solid companies with good culture and interesting problems to solve is a monstrous pain in the ass. 90% of recruiters are complete retards and LinkedIn sucks.
This why I took a 30k hit on base salary. Culture and a place you want to be is worth the fucking headache. I was pulling 185k base from 16 through 20 but it required working at consulting firms and traveling and shit culture. My bonus more than cover s the difference and I don't hate every minute of work.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What are the best sites or tools to use for job search these days? I mostly stick to LinkedIn because I find that if I enable my profile anywhere else, I get bombarded by shit tier recruiters. I regularly get pinged but I rule a lot of them out because don't want to live in a shithole, have no interest in the product, salary is too low, recruiters ghost out, etc.

What have you guys found to be best way to search for the dream job making top dollar working on interesting problems, preferably remote? Tracking new jobs on LinkedIn every day, talking to recruiters, researching the companies, etc. is pretty tiresome. I am almost to the point of just saying fuck it and hoping I get a call some day that is a match.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Get used to dealing with shit tier recruiters. if you want dream job gotta take the good with the bad.

• 1Truth!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just use Indeed and LinkedIn. Spray and pray is the only time efficient way to do unless you want to research heavily, apply and get no response like would happen a lot anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I told a recruiter yesterday that there is not enough money to get me to move to CA. I guess that is not precisely true, but I doubt anyone would pay enough to make a compelling case to move to that hellscape of a state.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I told a recruiter yesterday that there is not enough money to get me to move to CA. I guess that is not precisely true, but I doubt anyone would pay enough to make a compelling case to move to that hellscape of a state.
I'd do Northern Cali in some remote area around Lassen/Shasta probably, but that's about it.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I'd do Northern Cali in some remote area around Lassen/Shasta probably, but that's about it.

The outskirts are great in a lot of ways I am sure but most of the tech jobs are in the Bay Area or LA. Either way you still have state policy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just had a big shakeup at my company. The CEO, COO, and some other executives including my VP and the senior finance director are all on their way out. This is not too. much of a red flag other than it all happening at the same time. All of these guys have 5 to 12 years (CEO since it started) and the company is well on its way to a billion a year in revenue.

Making me think I should have left back in November though. Because my goals of building out my own team now are dumpstered. This along with the director we had for it leaving in under 90 days. On the plus side I can spend the next 6 months doing nothing but getting some certs I want and working on projects I feel like as I essentially have minimal managerial oversight. Then on the hunt again lol.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
So bit if a holding pattern now. They hadn’t looked at any external candidates and “in fairness to the process blah blah if you’re still interested and don’t mind waiting, we’ll talk in a couple weeks”. Annoyed but can’t fault them for looking around, tons of people looking for this kind of position right now.

I anything the process so far has only reenforced my desired to leave my current job. Time to step it up from casually looking.
“Thanks but we’re going in another direction”. Will see if I get any feedback, but feel like they’re looking for someone with more customer facing experience.

So time to start throwing my resume at whatever looks interesting. I also think there’s a chance I can get a position created that’s more in line with what I’d like to do. Need to do a little recon and come up with a proposal of sorts.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just had a big shakeup at my company. The CEO, COO, and some other executives including my VP and the senior finance director are all on their way out. This is not too. much of a red flag other than it all happening at the same time. All of these guys have 5 to 12 years (CEO since it started) and the company is well on its way to a billion a year in revenue.

Making me think I should have left back in November though. Because my goals of building out my own team now are dumpstered. This along with the director we had for it leaving in under 90 days. On the plus side I can spend the next 6 months doing nothing but getting some certs I want and working on projects I feel like as I essentially have minimal managerial oversight. Then on the hunt again lol.

It was announced today that our CFO and COO are leaving. Not great. But we also went public seven months ago and maybe they're just cashing out and fucking off.