Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Kirun Kirun YMMV but get another offer in hand then go to your company. Seems to move mountains.
Yeah, this is the likely route I will take based on how the yearly evaluation goes. Honestly, I know I can probably get $25k elsewhere, so even if they bumped me by $15k, I'd probably stay. Simply because my boss is hands-off as fuck.

But, if they try to lowball me at $5k or so due to "budget shortfall" issues, especially in Biden's America? Yeah, I'll start looking for other offers to give than an opportunity to counter or I'll walk.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So someone I used to work with/for, "Bob", came to me last week asking if I was interested in a position his new employer. I've known him for 6 years now and we've kept in touch since he left my current employer. Good dude who has always had my back, we hit it off pretty quickly professionally and personally. Anyway...

95% remote, ~25-30% increase over my current salary, and the work is more in line with what I enjoy than my current primary duties. I initially had some hesitation as it's in an industry that isn't high on my list of interest, but because of the source of the offer I'm strongly considering it. Also, one of my current coworkers with whom I have a similar relationship as Bob, "Sam" is in similar talks for a different position at the Bob's new company. New company is apparently about 100 employees, seeing a ton of growth, and looking for the right people vs the perfect resume.

Kinda seems too good to be true, but after 8 years with my current employer and who this is all coming through, it's game on. Still need to tweak my resume and set up a phone/vid interview/chat with the COO.
So got the “thanks, no thanks but we’ll keep you in mind” response from the EV position. It was a bit of a long shot and it seems like any kind of response these days is a win :D

For TGTBT, I have a call scheduled with the COO for after Thanksgiving.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Aight boys, looking for something remote work from home. Anyone got any good leads? I'm applying like a mad man online.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
All the WFH positions I see on LinkedIn get at least 5x as many applicants as similar on site jobs.

Hekotat

All the WFH positions I see on LinkedIn get at least 5x as many applicants as similar on site jobs.

I was actually laughing at how little people are applying at places like TI right now. That's usually a highly sought after place to work and now they're having hell filling positions after the mandate. Their recruiters are blowing up our entire department.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Aight boys, looking for something remote work from home. Anyone got any good leads? I'm applying like a mad man online.
I applied to like 200 jobs every time I got a new job. Its the nature of the beast.

What kind of work you looking to do?

Hekotat

I applied to like 200 jobs every time I got a new job. Its the nature of the beast.

What kind of work you looking to do?

I'm trying to find something in my hometown without taking a massive pay cut so I've been looking online for stuff that's remote. I'm an engineer by profession, but also an excellent Tech Writer.

I excel at Tech Writing, Mechanical/Electrical troubleshooting, Maintenance, etc. However, I can do pretty much anything well.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm trying to find something in my hometown without taking a massive pay cut so I've been looking online for stuff that's remote. I'm an engineer by profession, but also an excellent Tech Writer.

I excel at Tech Writing, Mechanical/Electrical troubleshooting, Maintenance, etc. However, I can do pretty much anything well.
Need to narrow down the jobs you will be trying to apply for if you can.

Hekotat

Need to narrow down the jobs you will be trying to apply for if you can.

I've got it focused down to a few areas, I put in about 25 resumes this morning. Was just hoping someone here had some good insider infos.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've got it focused down to a few areas, I put in about 25 resumes this morning. Was just hoping someone here had some good insider infos.
Use Linkedin Easy apply and spray and pray a bit. Don't worry about it.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I was actually laughing at how little people are applying at places like TI right now. That's usually a highly sought after place to work and now they're having hell filling positions after the mandate. Their recruiters are blowing up our entire department.
TI = Texas Instruments?

I just dug out my TI graphing calc for a bit of nostalgia, didn’t have and AAA batteries to turn it on though :D

Hekotat

TI = Texas Instruments?

I just dug out my TI graphing calc for a bit of nostalgia, didn’t have and AAA batteries to turn it on though :D

Yeah, usually it's impossible to get a job as a Engineer/Engineering Technician at that company due to people never leaving. They now have like 80 spots open they can't fill.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
So got the “thanks, no thanks but we’ll keep you in mind” response from the EV position. It was a bit of a long shot and it seems like any kind of response these days is a win :D

For TGTBT, I have a call scheduled with the COO for after Thanksgiving.
When the COO sent me the meeting invite, it was for a week sooner. Weird, but no complaints.

Talked to him yesterday and it went pretty well. A little more detail on the company, my experience what my role would be, salary etc. Next steps are a similar conversation with the CAO (Chief Admin Officer) and some kind of quick project I need to throw together and present. COO said they expect it to be about an hour worth of work.

• 1Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Accepted a job in Houston. Any tips?

Never been there and don’t know much about it. I’ll probably look for a temporary place near Memorial Park.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Accepted a job in Houston. Any tips?

Never been there and don’t know much about it. I’ll probably look for a temporary place near Memorial Park.
Just East of Memorial Park is an area called Rice Military.

North of there and I-10 is when you start getting into the Heights.

Within the last 12 years or so, both of these areas have been massively re-gentrified. If you are looking to buy or rent, both of these areas are gonna cost an arm an a leg, but you will have quick access to a lot of good bars, restaurants and breweries, especially along Washington Ave.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just East of Memorial Park is an area called Rice Military.

North of there and I-10 is when you start getting into the Heights.

Within the last 12 years or so, both of these areas have been massively re-gentrified. If you are looking to buy or rent, both of these areas are gonna cost an arm an a leg, but you will have quick access to a lot of good bars, restaurants and breweries, especially along Washington Ave.
Rice Military does actually look pretty nice dude.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Remember there's no zoning in Houston. So a well established area works to your advantage obviously.