Job Hunting

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
On a base level statement that doesn't sound like me, but I'd have to know more about it.

Some of the ideas people have given me are super worth looking into and sound pretty interesting. Realistically I've got some time to do so because I gave them my last day being the 28th to train the person taking over for me (more than any of them deserve, but it lets me put some more money in my pocket before unexpectedly fucking off) and I'll probably take at least the first 2 weeks of March off, because I really haven't had a vacation in fucking ages. Though during that time I'll definitely still put work into looking at jobs if I haven't found something yet.

I think as a person my biggest skillset is kind of just an inherent understanding of how things work which lends itself really well to problem solving and trouble shooting type stuff. In a lot of ways it's what made me really good at managing a liquor store, because with how good I was at just observing things I could understand what was selling and why or why not, and choose better products. It let me keep a good hold on inventory management because I had a really good idea of spikes and lows, which let me know if/when to buy bigger deals etc. It did a lot for me in places like games raid leading, or even in just random computer stuff building or otherwise. I guess the best way to put it is I'm very mechanical in a sense. I'm good at breaking down systems (which can be people, or actual systems) and understanding how things work.

Depending on what area of the country you're in, you can pull 50-65k before bonuses from a lot of the large beverage companies in sales.

Like, easily.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Depending on what area of the country you're in, you can pull 50-65k before bonuses from a lot of the large beverage companies in sales.

Like, easily.
To boot the guy has a work ethic that's rarer than a straight man in San Francisco.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, dude ain't gonna have a problem, he just needs to be pointed in the right direction.
This is really the most true part. I've never really been good at looking for jobs, and more just fallen into jobs. And it's time to fix that, but by virtue of that I have fuck all idea of what career's are really out there. Which is why I posted here looking for help. The reality is we are a bunch of middle aged gamers with a pretty wide range of life experience and seen a lot of different things.

I find I'm working fucking harder than I have been at any given point right now after I've quit (gave them till the 28th) while I'm trying to train the guy to replace me and still make sure everything gets done. It's pretty aids tbh. This past weekend I spent time with my sister getting resume and shit built up and looking professional. My intent Thursday night and then this weekend is to try to dig into some of the ideas here and see what things really look like, and what kind of availability there is in the local area.

Unlike 98% of the population out their, I'm not a retard. You show me something once I've learned it. I don't mind working hard if it feels rewarding. Just time to find the right thing. Most of the stuff you guys have mentioned really does at least pique interest.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am in a situation now where next week I am going to be the one interviewing my own new manager. I'm even involved in the hiring decision.

lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Came up in another thread a while back, but I don't make enough money at my job. I'm currently making $79k essentially doing full-stack developer work plus a heap of other operational shit but without the nice title (I'm still a "multimedia developer" which hasn't changed since I first came on in 2018). Only pay increase I've gotten so far is a $4k bump last summer when I got moved to another team, which IMO should have been my CoL adjustment that I was due for in 2020 but got cancelled 'cause of the 'vid.

I've never asked for more money at a job before, so I'm not really sure how the process goes down. Been looking around Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. trying to get hard numbers for someone with my experience (about 7 years now), but it's been kind of a pain in the ass because the ranges are too large or places just aren't posting the salaries period. Is there a better way to get some concrete numbers these days? My brother told me to ask for $100k, based on the fresh front-end dude that he just helped hire. I'm getting moved to another team again this month, so figured it was a good time to try asking.

I'm an idiot, unassertive woman, so I need an ELI5 on this. I don't have any sort of scheduled performance review, so do I just ask my new manager if I can find 15min on his calendar for a chat? Once that's done, is the right way to go about it to just explain I've been here X years now, taken on Y new responsibilities since I've been here, here's Z examples of positions similar that are paying more? Am I being a jackass in asking for more money after getting a bump less than a year ago? Am I asking for too much of a bump with the $100k? Should I ask for more than what I want to give room to wiggle down and negotiate to it?

Anything else I should be considering? Or am I over-complicating the shit out of this?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Well... That title sucks for one. It isn't really that common, so like all of the salary research sites (glassdoor, payscale, indeed) are comparing it to marketing or AV type bullshit jobs and coming up with an average salary of 85k even in high COL markets like NYC and DC. Does your company have actual job titles that match with pay scales? If so, I'd push to be moved into an actual applications development title/pay band.

If you aren't opposed to investing a little time, I would get a job offer for a front end developer position so you have a hard number on paper you can leverage. You also need to be prepared to walk if they say no, so I would suggest also getting an offer for a job you are prepared to take.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I am in a situation now where next week I am going to be the one interviewing my own new manager. I'm even involved in the hiring decision.

lol.
Congrats. It's wierd. I'm on the panel with my director and team leader who hire our solution architects. So far shit on 3 candidates :p

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Well... That title sucks for one. It isn't really that common, so like all of the salary research sites (glassdoor, payscale, indeed) are comparing it to marketing or AV type bullshit jobs and coming up with an average salary of 85k even in high COL markets like NYC and DC. Does your company have actual job titles that match with pay scales? If so, I'd push to be moved into an actual applications development title/pay band.

If you aren't opposed to investing a little time, I would get a job offer for a front end developer position so you have a hard number on paper you can leverage. You also need to be prepared to walk if they say no, so I would suggest also getting an offer for a job you are prepared to take.

In the chat I had with my new manager, I did bring up that my title is ass and could really use an update, especially since I'm getting moved to his engineering team, so hoping I get something more appropriate.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
In the chat I had with my new manager, I did bring up that my title is ass and could really use an update, especially since I'm getting moved to his engineering team, so hoping I get something more appropriate.
It's easy to get another job even with your current title so a title change without a salary change would be kind of meaningless. I'd round up job postings similar in description to yours, note the titles and then compile a median salary for that and bring that to your boss. I bet median salary for a frontend developer across the whole US is like 110k and full stack easily in the 150k area. So you are likely being underpaid quite a bit. Get dat money!

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Welp, got a surprise meeting today with the new manager and got bumped to $95k. Mission accomplished, I guess!

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Welp, got a surprise meeting today with the new manager and got bumped to $95k. Mission accomplished, I guess!
Ita not much of a surprise considering you started asking about title changes. That should have signaled to a non potatoes manager that you are unhappy with your position. So ask more often. Don't be a female!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Getting past the aversion to conflict and being assertive is always step 1 in getting problems fixed in life. It's also great long term because you don't let things fester until you become Mist.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Came up in another thread a while back, but I don't make enough money at my job. I'm currently making $79k essentially doing full-stack developer work plus a heap of other operational shit but without the nice title (I'm still a "multimedia developer" which hasn't changed since I first came on in 2018). Only pay increase I've gotten so far is a $4k bump last summer when I got moved to another team, which IMO should have been my CoL adjustment that I was due for in 2020 but got cancelled 'cause of the 'vid.

I've never asked for more money at a job before, so I'm not really sure how the process goes down. Been looking around Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. trying to get hard numbers for someone with my experience (about 7 years now), but it's been kind of a pain in the ass because the ranges are too large or places just aren't posting the salaries period. Is there a better way to get some concrete numbers these days? My brother told me to ask for $100k, based on the fresh front-end dude that he just helped hire. I'm getting moved to another team again this month, so figured it was a good time to try asking.

I'm an idiot, unassertive woman, so I need an ELI5 on this. I don't have any sort of scheduled performance review, so do I just ask my new manager if I can find 15min on his calendar for a chat? Once that's done, is the right way to go about it to just explain I've been here X years now, taken on Y new responsibilities since I've been here, here's Z examples of positions similar that are paying more? Am I being a jackass in asking for more money after getting a bump less than a year ago? Am I asking for too much of a bump with the $100k? Should I ask for more than what I want to give room to wiggle down and negotiate to it?

Anything else I should be considering? Or am I over-complicating the shit out of this?
Get another offer. It moves mountains and immediately.

I did this at my job and got a $50k raise the same day.

EDIT: Oh I saw the other post. Gratz yo!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Got SC of the Year for the second consecutive year. More impressive this year because the team is almost 200 people now. Very timely with merit cycle coming in a few weeks and I could very well have a seven figure deal closed by then. I've never been so confident going into salary negotiations. I know the market is hot too so if they don't pony up I'm sure I could get a 40% raise elsewhere without too much effort. Problem I like the gig and the software is legit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Turned in my notice with my company last week. I've been there 25 years in various roles, but feel like I've been spinning my wheels for the last 10.

Finish my notice up next week and start my new job the following Monday... going to be weird going from subject matter expert in one industry to starting all over in a new one, but they thought enough of me to offer a lot more than I was making and match my vacation based on a phone interview and a tour of the plant.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Got SC of the Year for the second consecutive year. More impressive this year because the team is almost 200 people now. Very timely with merit cycle coming in a few weeks and I could very well have a seven figure deal closed by then. I've never been so confident going into salary negotiations. I know the market is hot too so if they don't pony up I'm sure I could get a 40% raise elsewhere without too much effort. Problem I like the gig and the software is legit.
Well my company must know the market is red fucking hot. Out of nowhere I get a $103000 bonus.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well, boyz, I have had my first official interview with an oil and gas company since I started seriously looking for work in September. By the by I was laid off in January 2021 and was trying to wait out the pandemic at first, but by September realized that wasn't going to happen. I won't lie, I enjoyed spending quality time with my son this summer, fishing and biking, no regerts for sure. Not often you have the opportunity to spend tons of time with your kid in his developing years when he still loves and respects you and hasn't yet turned into a psychotic teenager.

I was told that they wanted to throw away my resume because of my 25 years of experience, but in the end held on to it.

Even better, I interviewed with three managers, and an HR person, for 3 possible positions, so it was about as ideal an interview as I could have gotten. Edit - on the flip side, if I don't get any of the jobs, I may as well never apply to that company again lol.

Anyway, not sure how I did, but I did the best I could so I guess that is all I can. It was my first real interview since 2013.

Edit - Good lord, lol, never mind. I was just debriefed and apparently I wasn't "detailed" enough in most of my answers. It's hard to remember that one $12 MM project I did where I saved $300,000 per well and produced 1 mmcf/d more gas per well for a xxxx metric increase. I guess they are looking for that 10 year guy that remembers every detail because he's only done 2 big projects in his career, and that was yesterday. Welp, back to the job postings!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know of any good "resume writing" services out there? The only thing I hate about job-hunting is touching up/organizing my resume. Merit season came around at work and my company lowballed the fuck out of me. I love a lot of the perks about my job, but I'm just so underpaid at this point that it's just time to move on.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know of any good "resume writing" services out there? The only thing I hate about job-hunting is touching up/organizing my resume. Merit season came around at work and my company lowballed the fuck out of me. I love a lot of the perks about my job, but I'm just so underpaid at this point that it's just time to move on.
I just buy a template every few years from something like https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/cv-template and fill it out.

I've never used a service but you want to quantify stuff as much as you can. Things like "I saved the company $Xk in costs or generated $Yk in revenue are things that always stick out. Especially when you're going for a similar position. Then stuff like lead a team, hired teams, trained people, and so on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users