Job Hunting

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Had a nice dinner tonight with the owner of a consulting firm and looks like we’ve reached an agreement to move forward. We settled at $125 / hr which is a little lower than I wanted but in the end should be fine. There’s language in our contract to rise $5/hr after 6 months and we’ll resign after a year. Not project specific so I can basically work on anything they need me to and guarantee 2,080 hours a year / full time even if it isn’t billed to a specific project.

Travel will be a requirement but it is at my discretion. Requirement is to meet customer / project needs. And should be an easy trip from Little Rock to TN where the customer is located.

It is more of a project director roll instead of a technical SME as we initially talked. After seeing my resume and discussing internally and with the customer they thought it would be a better fit. I won’t be doing Gantt charts and resource scheduling.

One of those “make the project successful” rolls.

Going to suck telling my current boss. He’s a good guy and our team is great but the company is running everything in to the ground. Every week there’s more people abandoning ship. Sounds like our Engineering team would eventually be sold off to a Black and Veatch or Burns and McDonnell or other large Utility engineering firm. At least this way I’m a little ahead of it and am an independent with my own business, with a full time contract in place.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am currently pretty happy with my two gig setup. I still get about 20-50 direct interview recruitment messages a month for various jobs. Mostly I ignore them but one stuck out to me for a few reasons. I talked with them on Friday and it sounded really appealing so I am actually thinking about it. I am far from actually getting an offer but here's how it is.

Pros:
  • Remote centric company
  • Smaller company I'd be the 160-something hire (by comparison my current job of the last 4 years I was 167th and we have 3000+ now).
    • I excel when I get to wear a lot of hats and that is definitely going away at my current place. It also is tremendous for career growth.
  • $200k base salary as a Staff Engineer position.
    • I am current just a Data Engineer role but I am de facto the lead engineer of the data organization.
  • Also a MacBook shop (I am just use to it now and don't want to go back).
  • They are late stage startup with solid revenue and are aggressively getting things in order for GTM (I find this interesting).
    • My current place is also in a GTM stage but they have many unintentional structural hurdles that are going to make this take a lot longer than they want.
So it'd be a considerable bump in my annual. I'd have to think about what to do with the second job though. Where it is interesting and I am still getting my feet wet in this part of their business.

In terms of the second job, while yes I was a consultant there for 2 years, they pretty much threw me on a high priority task in a completely different part of their organization that I knew absolutely nothing about. I was given zero onboarding about anything and the requirements for this high priority task are changing so rapidly that as soon as I complete something I have to totally rewrite it only for my leadership to ask why I didn't finish it yet. I don't really mind trials by fire which is what I assumed this was and I thought there may have been some miscommunication as they may have thought I knew all of this part of the org due to my consultant time. It has rubbed me the wrong way though.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FYI, since most of y'all are code wonks, Protonmail is hiring apprently.

Screenshot_20221009-082515_Proton Mail.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Another episode of working two remote jobs.

I was employee of the quarter at job 1 and I have not had a discussion about a raise or anything yet. I am number 1 at the company in volunteer hours as well (taught high school kids python and javascript for 12 weeks). And I am a developer on two separate teams there. I've been in this role since last November.

How do I get this going if nothing happens by end of the year?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Another episode of working two remote jobs.

I was employee of the quarter at job 1 and I have not had a discussion about a raise or anything yet. I am number 1 at the company in volunteer hours as well (taught high school kids python and javascript for 12 weeks). And I am a developer on two separate teams there. I've been in this role since last November.

How do I get this going if nothing happens by end of the year?
Just ask your manager outright what your increase is going to be and when it will be effective.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So accepted an offer for a new job. During the interview process they never mentioned requiring to be vaccinated for corona or anything related to it I assumed it was a non issue.

Get a new hire email and its saying either vaccination or exemption is required. Anyone dealt with employers requiring proof of an "exemption"?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Send them your butthole picture with no comment.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So accepted an offer for a new job. During the interview process they never mentioned requiring to be vaccinated for corona or anything related to it I assumed it was a non issue.

Get a new hire email and its saying either vaccination or exemption is required. Anyone dealt with employers requiring proof of an "exemption"?
This blows. Hate to say it but you should have asked prior. That’s not important now anyways.

How bad do they need you? Maybe you can use that as leverage. Can’t be hard to get an exemption these days can it?

• 1Dislike

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Make your own vax card. Problem solved.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd just ignore it and see if they follow up. Pretty decent chance they don't really care anymore.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
The quality of the career advice here recently is not very good ... I would be careful about following the recommendations offered.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Google your states certificate of religious exemption form or ask your local health dept.
They ended up giving me some form to fill out stating why exactly i have a religious objection. Seemed like a formality.

• 2Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Go the chaotic good route. Tell them that your immune system is perfectly fine, and you don't like the suggestion they have that you are in some way immunologically disabled, and that the ADA protects people who are perceived as disabled by employers, regardless of if they have a disability or not. 42 U.S. Code § 12102 1) C

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I understand ... (and I hope in some cases) ... that we enjoy being clever and funny. However, encouraging behavior that is disingenuous, dishonest, or reinforcing a disparaging attitude toward the corporate world is not the right career play. 10,000+ (guessing here) layoffs in the tech sector over the past six months ...

Anyway ... good luck with the job Big Phoenix Big Phoenix

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The quality of the career advice here recently is not very good ... I would be careful about following the recommendations offered.

While you're not wrong, the career advice here is better than the dating advice.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf