Job Hunting

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
A good friend of mine is in production finance, so I hear plenty of stories; rough time indeed.

It seems you enjoy the subject matter, is it more an issue of your position/duties, as well as the environment of the company?

Maybe you have a professional mentor/network that you can leverage for leads/advice?

Yeah rough times for everyone tbh. I'm watching people get axed around me left and right. I move around the country a lot, so my network is scattered- mainly in places I have already lived and don't really want to live again.

Part of the problem is definitely the environment, i.e. the supervisor. She's awful. Never ceases to amaze me how companies promote people to supervisor for all the wrong reasons.

Anyway, as mentioned, I'm probably too old for a worthwhile career change. Most dudes my age are starting to sketch out what retirement is going to look like, and I'm checking if my employer pays for tuition lol.

I'm mostly just whining tbh. I could have it worse and I definitely realize that. I'd love a job that I was actually interested in and felt some degree of satisfaction doing, but that is a myth for the majority of people, for sure. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone had a line on underrated/emerging careers though, just in case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyway, as mentioned, I'm probably too old for a worthwhile career change. Most dudes my age are starting to sketch out what retirement is going to look like, and I'm checking if my employer pays for tuition lol.
The time is gonna pass anyway. Might as well find a way to spend it that won't make you miserable. If you can't or won't roll your experience into something related, you might be able to teach something relevant somewhere, especially if you're willing to go back to school. Or if you want a drastic change, Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre can probably put you in a truck.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
The time is gonna pass anyway. Might as well find a way to spend it that won't make you miserable. If you can't or won't roll your experience into something related, you might be able to teach something relevant somewhere, especially if you're willing to go back to school. Or if you want a drastic change, Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre can probably put you in a truck.

Ironically I thought about a driving job. I like driving tbh. UPS apparently pays their drivers 170lk a year now...

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah rough times for everyone tbh. I'm watching people get axed around me left and right. I move around the country a lot, so my network is scattered- mainly in places I have already lived and don't really want to live again.

Part of the problem is definitely the environment, i.e. the supervisor. She's awful. Never ceases to amaze me how companies promote people to supervisor for all the wrong reasons.

I'm mostly just whining tbh. I could have it worse and I definitely realize that. I'd love a job that I was actually interested in and felt some degree of satisfaction doing, but that is a myth for the majority of people, for sure. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask if anyone had a line on underrated/emerging careers though, just in case.
It sounds like you and I are in a similar boat.

I’ve been in product management for the past two decades and I’m starting to see myself running out of steam. It’s not necessarily the work, but rather it’s the nature of the business and people out here in Cal that’s wearing me down.

My next move will be something totally different. I was looking into buying a couple liquor stores or investing in some almond orchards.

I don’t know. Something other than this fake ass bullshit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Ironically I thought about a driving job. I like driving tbh. UPS apparently pays their drivers 170lk a year now...

Getting a CDL will ensure you are gainfully employed for decades.

It will also ensure diabetes.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
.Do you all have any recommendations for job sites where I can find part-time/flexible schedule/create-your-own-schedule type remote work?

My background is in business management/finance w/ MBA and looking to do something to fill the extra time I have throughout the week (10-20 hours).

Rais

Trakanon Raider
if you’re bored and you want to get out meeting people or that sort of thing I’d recommend auto damage adjuster or property damage adjuster. I had a blast doing it in Beverly Hills/Santa Monica due to the type of people I ran into.

They even have special investigations units as well if that’s your thing. Depending on the company and where you live starting pay for auto damage is around 60k with benifits. my best adjuster on my team is pulling in 96k doing it virtually. I always thought about property damage would be fun since they also pay more.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
UPS driver jobs are extremely coveted. You wont get one applying off the street. Most drivers had to wait years until another driver retired,died, or moved until they got that position. Then they keep it forever as the pay is quite good.

Took a friend of mine like 6 years to get a driver job. He had to go on full time and take a pay cut from his contractor position because he wanted to get in the running for one of the driver spots when someone left. As all the drivers were older. He waited until one retired. He's 35 and he will probably keep that job the next 30 years.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And FedEx sucks in comparison. You can tell it by the way they move. The UPS driver pulls up at 2 PM, ambles out with your package, smiles, and maybe shoots the breeze for a few minutes. The FedEx guy always looks stressed, runs to get the package and leave it on the deck, and then jumps back in and takes off like a bat out of hell. Around Christmas they're often delivering packages at 10 or 11 PM too which you never see UPS doing.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I had a feeling it wasn't just as simple as applying for a ups driver job and then you are suddenly pulling in 170k.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I had a feeling it wasn't just as simple as applying for a ups driver job and then you are suddenly pulling in 170k.
That only happens when you want to be a member of Congress.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Gotta make a change man. I keep catching myself drifting off into space while I'm supposed to be working. I'm having trouble even going through the motions these days. If I don't leave the job, the job is going to leave me- if you know what I mean.

I don't know, I figured with all the new advancements these days there had to be some cool jobs out there with high demand, decent pay, and good job satisfaction. Wind turbine repair person? Electric car mechanic? AI prompt engineer? /shrug
Why would you leave? Rather than fight it, why not embrace your new found feelings for work. I've been 100% fuck it for about the last 4-5 years at my job. I bought a nice pillow I keep at my job to sleep on at work, Bought my steam deck for when I feel like gaming at work, and generally just look confused at people when they ask me to do anything that is well... actual work. Normally I have to at least log in and start up my excel file that generates documents for me, but my computer broke a month back, so other people have had to pick up the slack.

I hope one of the retards on the other shifts doesn't actually put in a work order to fix it.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why would you leave? Rather than fight it, why not embrace your new found feelings for work. I've been 100% fuck it for about the last 4-5 years at my job. I bought a nice pillow I keep at my job to sleep on at work, Bought my steam deck for when I feel like gaming at work, and generally just look confused at people when they ask me to do anything that is well... actual work. Normally I have to at least log in and start up my excel file that generates documents for me, but my computer broke a month back, so other people have had to pick up the slack.

I hope one of the retards on the other shifts doesn't actually put in a work order to fix it.
I understand being over your job/employer, the last year at my last job was terrible with a huge reorg/subsidiary merge/downsize/admin offshore/COVID BS. I hated it but also didn't realize how checked out I had been until starting my new position. Never want to be in that position again and feel like i'm just wasing my days away.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I understand being over your job/employer, the last year at my last job was terrible with a huge reorg/subsidiary merge/downsize/admin offshore/COVID BS. I hated it but also didn't realize how checked out I had been until starting my new position. Never want to be in that position again and feel like i'm just wasing my days away.
Jesus christ, did you not have video games or a hobby to keep you busy? I look forward to work, cause its gaming time. Did all the design and math on a woodworking project yesterday at work, so its not just gaming. There's something pretty damn liberating about some asshole asking you to do something and just staring them down as you put in the second earbud to make sure it's clear you aint listening.

If you're just sitting there and letting your brain rot, of course that's bad.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

I get what you mean. My buddy works for a big bank, works from home, and automated his job years ago. He pulls in close to 200k a year doing shit with spreadsheets and works maybe 5 actual hours per week.

He gets his fulfillment/enjoyment in places other than work. I'm totally not opposed to that but my particular job doesn't work that way. Main issue is that my supervisor wants my balls in a jar and now that I'm on her radar she won't rest until she forces me out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why does she hate you so much?

As I keep telling people. Learn Salesforce and you'll be in a six figure job in under 3 years if you work at it.

• 1Solidarity

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
I second the CDL suggestion. The construction trades pay well and there is always a need to haul equipment around or drive a boom truck over to the new yard, etc. Could segway into a fleet management position .... tremendous amount of administration burden, but you do get to go outside a lot!