Job Hunting

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Largest CRM enterprise platform on earth.
1691782129131.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why does she hate you so much?

As I keep telling people. Learn Salesforce and you'll be in a six figure job in under 3 years if you work at it.

Long story, but we have major communication problems. You know how you get someone every now and then where you just constantly misunderstand each other. Well, it sucks when it's your boss. She's also a bit of an ego maniac. She says dumb shit and then watches to see if you think it's funny. Or she will act outraged that somebody did something and if you don't give her enough of a reaction she gets offended.

Sadly, it's all personal stuff, nothing professional. I've been a professional for a long time. I go in, work hard, do my job. But she wants a level of personal ego stroking I'm frankly not great at. It's hard to give her the emotional feedback she wants from me. I mean, it's a job. I give my wife, my family, and my friends emotional support, but it feels weird being expected to give that to a boss I just met a few months ago.

Yeah I know- I'm fucked.

I've heard Salesforce tossed around a bit but frankly I don't even know what it is.

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Long story, but we have major communication problems. You know how you get someone every now and then where you just constantly misunderstand each other. Well, it sucks when it's your boss. She's also a bit of an ego maniac. She says dumb shit and then watches to see if you think it's funny. Or she will act outraged that somebody did something and if you don't give her enough of a reaction she gets offended.

Sadly, it's all personal stuff, nothing professional. I've been a professional for a long time. I go in, work hard, do my job. But she wants a level of personal ego stroking I'm frankly not great at. It's hard to give her the emotional feedback she wants from me. I mean, it's a job. I give my wife, my family, and my friends emotional support, but it feels weird being expected to give that to a boss I just met a few months ago.

Yeah I know- I'm fucked.

I've heard Salesforce tossed around a bit but frankly I don't even know what it is.
I don't have any IT experience at all but this isn't too difficult to follow.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah I know- I'm fucked.

By all accounts I am a slightly autistic nerd who avoids talking to people. But I have climbed well up the corpo life just being good at technical stuff.

SFDC does not require minimal bog standard super nerd abilities like programming. Just the ability to use the platform and use "declarative solutions" AKA configuring stuff in menus, and pays really well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
By all accounts I am a slightly autistic nerd who avoids talking to people. But I have climbed well up the corpo life just being good at technical stuff.

SFDC does not require minimal bog standard super nerd abilities like programming. Just the ability to use the platform and use "declarative solutions" AKA configuring stuff in menus, and pays really well.
My former next door neighbor was a salesforce admin for a pharma company. It let her and her corrections officer husband afford a house on Long Island in one of the best school districts in the nation.

Learning Salesforce good.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I keep telling people this, and so far no one has listened to me. At least provably.

Arden Arden here's the game:
  1. Learn Salesforce on the official resources (free) and very good. You can get as many free environments for practicing as you want. Total sandboxes just for you. Just need a computer.
  2. Take the Admin trailmix classes (free)
  3. Take the SFDC Admin 1 Exam ($200 or something)
  4. Take any job that hires you. Most likely hourly. Work for 1 year.
  5. Apply for salaried job as an admin or senior admin. ($70k+)
  6. Work for a year or two.
  7. Apply for Senior Admin position ($100-$120k) most likely for low years of experience.
  8. Win.
Top end of SFDC Admins who cannot code is $175k or so.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Is this still going to be relevant in 3 years? 6?
Yes but the important thing is being nimble. There are a lot of people who made bank being Novell Engineers. There are also a lot of unemployed ex-Novell Engineers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes but the important thing is being nimble. There are a lot of people who made bank being Novell Engineers. There are also a lot of unemployed ex-Novell Engineers.
This is correct. For example. While I do a lot of Salesforce development I am technically in data engineering. I am also learning Mulesoft at the moment (which Salesforce purchased and we are using for some other purposes).

My ability to navigate across many enterprise platforms, in the capacity of moving and transforming data, has made me extremely employable.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

I keep telling people this, and so far no one has listened to me. At least provably.

1. Learn Salesforce on the official resources (free) and very good. You can get as many free environments for practicing as you want. Total sandboxes just for you. Just need a computer.
  7. Apply for Senior Admin position ($100-$120k) most likely for low years of experience.
  8. Win.

Can you do this as a flexible side gig after finishing the exams and the certs?

I got a decent amount of down time at work these days that I'm filling up with day trading and other stuff. I wouldn't mind getting some experience doing SFDC stuff since eventually I want to get my wife into it and make it a career track for her.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I got a decent amount of down time at work these days that I'm filling up with day trading and other stuff. I wouldn't mind getting some experience doing SFDC stuff since eventually I want to get my wife into it and make it a career track for her.
You definitely need something after you retire as a war correspondent.

• 6Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I do SFDC development. Which is mostly just Java programming within the context of SFDC. Knowing its weirdness for development is where you make money. As I get like $130 an hour for it its very in and out which I prefer. Its very flexible.

Admins are much more responsible for the day to day operations of a company using it so you wouldn't be as flexible. As you have to do time consuming things like user management, fixing issues with integrations being used and so on.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

8. Win.

While my husband was lamenting his teaching job the other day, I half-jokingly said he could always go learn Salesforce. Apparently the seed was planted, though, and he would like to know more. Going to get him setup learning on the admin track on Trailhead and see if he takes an interest. Is this the best place to start, or is there a better "what the fuck is Salesforce" module I can get him going on? Also, can admin jobs be remote? He's been a bit jelly of my remote position for a while, so I know he's going to ask.

I might just go ahead and slap around on the developer track, seeing as how my current company seems to have forgotten my engineering team exists (though we all dodged the recent layoffs) and none of us know what the hell we're supposed to be working on anymore (the entire team we made solutions for was all laid off, so...). Certainly can't hurt to have in the back pocket, I'd imagine.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While my husband was lamenting his teaching job the other day, I half-jokingly said he could always go learn Salesforce. Apparently the seed was planted, though, and he would like to know more. Going to get him setup learning on the admin track on Trailhead and see if he takes an interest. Is this the best place to start, or is there a better "what the fuck is Salesforce" module I can get him going on? Also, can admin jobs be remote? He's been a bit jelly of my remote position for a while, so I know he's going to ask.

I might just go ahead and slap around on the developer track, seeing as how my current company seems to have forgotten my engineering team exists (though we all dodged the recent layoffs) and none of us know what the hell we're supposed to be working on anymore (the entire team we made solutions for was all laid off, so...). Certainly can't hurt to have in the back pocket, I'd imagine.
Trailhead is def the best place to start.

This site is stellar for preparing for their exams. Very cheap.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Trailhead is def the best place to start.

This site is stellar for preparing for their exams. Very cheap.
With AI literally scrapping the vast majority of traditional coding tech jobs, any clue about it's impact on the job market for Salesforce in 5 years?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
With AI literally scrapping the vast majority of traditional coding tech jobs, any clue about it's impact on the job market for Salesforce in 5 years?
I've yet to see AI taking over any coding jobs in the areas I work. No idea what you are talking about.

ChatGPT/CoPilot/etc don't do it all for you. They can't know enough about your internal stuff to just do what you want without you spending many hours giving it very specific instructions then correcting it where it fucks up. They're way more suited at providing examples on how to write things to do X without you having to read documentation for hours to understand it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I've yet to see AI taking over any coding jobs in the areas I work. No idea what you are talking about.

ChatGPT/CoPilot/etc don't do it all for you. They can't know enough about your internal stuff to just do what you want without you spending many hours giving it very specific instructions then correcting it where it fucks up. They're way more suited at providing examples on how to write things to do X without you having to read documentation for hours to understand it.
I currently work with a consultant company that has much reach with companies across the tech sector. Many are building out AI systems behind the scenes to take over most roles in CSR and Coding, with CSR projected to land within 5 years (they say), coding AI taking over within 10.

If you're not hearing anything about that, then maybe Salesforce isn't headed in that direction yet. Might be a good path for others till retirement.