Job Hunting

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Salesforce is the more ideal avenue because Salesforce makes it a thing to give away their platform for free to non-profits and organizations under a certain size. This allows you to find more places to gain experience as a non-profit using Salesforce will hire someone with minimal experience below the market price for SFDC certified admins. Allowing you to gain experience required to get the higher paying positions.

Workday and ServiceNow offer similar career paths but getting your foot in the door is harder as only bigger organizations will have these services due to cost.
How realistic is this type of job change for guys over 40? From just glancing at the salesforce reddit, there seemed to be alot of older people complaining they get passed over regularly due to their age.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
How realistic is this type of job change for guys over 40? From just glancing at the salesforce reddit, there seemed to be alot of older people complaining they get passed over regularly due to their age.

Most of the SFDC workers I interact with came into the "field" of it later in their careers. But seemed to have some contextual knowledge of it from prior experiences. Like working in business administration, sales, and stuff like that. All of the senior admins and developers I know didn't start working in SFDC until they were around 40 or later.

I think its just mileage may vary mostly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Solid two weeks and nothing, probably just being impatient but really thought there would be a ton of opportunity for helper/grunt work. Going to hit the places in person starting Monday.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Solid two weeks and nothing, probably just being impatient but really thought there would be a ton of opportunity for helper/grunt work. Going to hit the places in person starting Monday.

It's probably just that everyone sucks ass on the hiring front right now. Companies are slow as shit.

If I hire a guy tomorrow, it's gonna be a month before I see him in orientation. I have no fucking clue how long ago he applied.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been applying for roles I have 15+ years of experience in and just not hearing anything back. I see several things get reposted regularly - not sure if it’s someone in HR just trying to justify their existence or looking for someone who checks a diversity box.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’ve been applying for roles I have 15+ years of experience in and just not hearing anything back. I see several things get reposted regularly - not sure if it’s someone in HR just trying to justify their existence or looking for someone who checks a diversity box.
Answer your question fast with one quick trick!
1696054498994.png

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
ryWPuls-196763775.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to

• 1WTF

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
add a hyphen to your name, it's not gonna matter

Prodigal Prodigal Shoemaker-Wang

heck make Prodigal Prodigal your nickname and your real name more hirable

Xiu-Ya " Prodigal Prodigal " Shoemaker-Wang

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Reposting usually means they hired someone but that person didn't actually show up or something like that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Reposting usually means they hired someone but that person didn't actually show up or something like that.
Or salaries change, or the number of positions on the req change, or any number of minutiae.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
ZERO hits on electrician so far, not a single phone call or response from anyone. I have an in with a friend to become a commercial pipefitter, and a path to HVAC service call guy that will make 42.00 an hour. I am 90% sure I am going to take it. Interview Monday. Hell I might like pipefitter...we will see.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Interesting. The pipefitters I know are welders but I imagine there's different branches to the tree. My cousin was a welder/pipefitter in the union and then took a better paying job working for the refinery where he had been working for a contractor. The refinery was a non-union position and he was actually blackballed from the union and threatened with legal consequences for taking the job. I don't fully understand the situation but apparently going from union to non-union is serious business to the union.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Interesting. The pipefitters I know are welders but I imagine there's different branches to the tree. My cousin was a welder/pipefitter in the union and then took a better paying job working for the refinery where he had been working for a contractor. The refinery was a non-union position and he was actually blackballed from the union and threatened with legal consequences for taking the job. I don't fully understand the situation but apparently going from union to non-union is serious business to the union.
I don’t know anyone personally but have heard of similar stories about unions. It’s pretty shitty, like the boss you give notice and they’re an asshole about it.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I went from union to non in the same company last year and it's a pretty stark difference. There are a ton of people who refuse to talk to me as a result.

The good news is that they are mostly the people I don't want to talk to anyway, so it works out fine for me. They are also the same people who refuse to talk to management for any reason because "fuck management," so now I get to occasionally say "Well, I could have helped you out if you had brought this to my attention earlier, but you didn't, so now, per the rules, we need to go this direction. Take it up with your union."

It's good times.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I went from union to non in the same company last year and it's a pretty stark difference. There are a ton of people who refuse to talk to me as a result.

The good news is that they are mostly the people I don't want to talk to anyway, so it works out fine for me. They are also the same people who refuse to talk to management for any reason because "fuck management," so now I get to occasionally say "Well, I could have helped you out if you had brought this to my attention earlier, but you didn't, so now, per the rules, we need to go this direction. Take it up with your union."

It's good times.
You moved into management right?