Job Hunting

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Fuck the plebes.

Nah, actually, I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

You see, I do something very important that needs to be done, and the union didn't have a clear way to deal with that. My manager tried to get the union to update the contract to include my job, to keep my job union, but the union refused to deal with it outside of contract negotiations. There was a mechanism in place for them to do it, but they were just stubborn dicks about it.

Eventually, things reached a boilover point where the union rules and what I was willing to do no longer meshed. I decided there was no way I was gonna do my job and also still be working 12 hours days and weekend overtime based on seniority and all that shit, so I put in my notice and found another gig. The company told me "whoa whoa whoa, no no. Let's figure this out," and built a brand new position that did not exist in the entire organization for me. They gave me a 25% raise and I report to no one. I am free to come and go as I please and as long as I continue to handle this one very specific thing, I can literally do whatever I want and no one questions me.

A few members of upper management have come and gone since then, and within a few days of meeting me, they all go "okay, so this dude knows what the fuck he's talking about, don't gotta worry about him" and they are 100% hands off with me and I get to continue this sweetheart deal with zero interference from anyone, all the way up to the president of the market unit.

So, yeah. I take every opportunity I can to thank the union for getting me such a great gig thru their complete refusal to be reasonable.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
And just like that I got an apprentice electrician job on the industrial/commercial side. I start Tuesday.

• 9Like
  • 6Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
And just like that I got an apprentice electrician job on the industrial/commercial side. I start Tuesday.
Congrats. Stick with the industrial/commercial stuff. From what I've seen it's better than wiring houses and *much* better than doing service work.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Boss notified me today that both the health plans that we contract under are pulling their contracts. At least I have about 60 days of runway.

I know that most of y'all are in tech or trades, but if any of you by chance hear of any insurance nursing (UM) jobs, hit me up.

Thanks.

All is well; found another position. 🥳

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1702328534985.png

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 6 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Unless he's working for the government. Those of us who have all know there are people in every department that do jack shit but sit in their office and surf the internet all day. Eventually people just figure out how to go around them and then they're really set. It's severely demotivating when you realize that. These people never get promoted, but they never get fired either. Finding 3 jobs like that where you can work from home would be pretty sweet, although I would probably wind up killing myself due to excessive boredom and shame.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If he can get past 3 job postings to earn 6 figure jobs and continues to be productive enough at all 3 not to get caught, much less fired, then my hat is off to this fictional man.
1702402169341.png

In my case it is only 2 and the tech stacks are identical, making the work very similar. Also something I happen to be extremely proficient at.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1. I never updated LinkedIn because I don't need to.
2. They never asked.
I wonder if its kind of a given and thus employers never ask during the interview "Do you already have one or more full-time jobs?". In before applications start asking you to list all other current full-time jobs you are currently being paid for.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
1. I never updated LinkedIn because I don't need to.
2. They never asked.

I wonder if its kind of a given and thus employers never ask during the interview "Do you already have one or more full-time jobs?". In before applications start asking you to list all other current full-time jobs you are currently being paid for.
Lol I bet it is. They just assume you haven’t updated.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't consider doing more. But its easy enough to manage for me and I don't work more than 50 hours a week. These are both senior developer positions.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So when you submit a resume to a new place, how do you describe the job you’re currently at as far as dates worked? Or do you just fudge an end date on it?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So when you submit a resume to a new place, how do you describe the job you’re currently at as far as dates worked? Or do you just fudge an end date on it?
I just won't mention whichever one is less advantageous.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It’s more weird that if he does the job to their satisfaction that it should even matter. If he was a contract worker nobody would even bat an eye at the number of clients he took on but as an employee how dare you not take it up the shit pipe.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It’s more weird that if he does the job to their satisfaction that it should even matter. If he was a contract worker nobody would even bat an eye at the number of clients he took on but as an employee how dare you not take it up the shit pipe.
I think both sides have at least some merit. Though it seems like the greater issue is a mismatch of task/job value vs the perceived skill/abilities of people in the workforce. But what do I know 🤷‍♂️