Job Hunting

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I wouldn't worry too much about rescinding your acceptance. Just Know that they will probably blacklist you from future employment

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Currently on the ole job hunting path as well. Trying to avoid going back to DoD companies, too slow for my pace. Need a fast paced environment badly and some place preferably that uses newer tech and languages (fuck 20 year old C baselines). Have one interview tomorrow, another that's supposed to be getting lined up and sent out like 75 applications towards the end of last week (it's easy since I'm willing to move anywhere).

Also fuck those LinkedIn 3rd party recruiters. They reach out and tell you your a perfect fit for a job and want a phone call but they refuse to tell you what the job is.. get fucked bro. I've only met one whom wasn't insufferable because she had a degree in EE and worked software way long ago so she actually had a brain. The others seem to be retarded as shit.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't worry too much about rescinding your acceptance. Just Know that they will probably blacklist you from future employment

some small companies might, but most won't care. At least not in IT anyway where finding decent candidates seems to be tough enough already. I had a place I rescinded from on the day I was supposed to start call me like two months later wondering if everything worked out because they still hadn't filled the position.

Recruiting practices seem to be in the shitter these days anyway. Getting deep in the hiring process and then getting ghosted, or a very curt "sorry, we decided to pursue other candidates," is the norm now adays. So if they aren't going to have any ethics about hiring neither am I.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Finding quality people for any position requiring 2+ brain cells seems to be difficult. It's that most of us on this board are finally getting to the point in our careers where we're involved in these hiring processes in one way or another.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Finding quality people for any position requiring 2+ brain cells seems to be difficult. It's that most of us on this board are finally getting to the point in our careers where we're involved in these hiring processes in one way or another.
*Nudge nudge, put in a good word for me.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
To echo Alavaz. Currently job hunting and I'm experiencing the same thing. Go super deep in the process, like 3 rounds with 5 interviews and it takes the company 2 weeks between each round and now they are saying another week to make a final decision. I've been remote consulting for the last 5 years for financial firms and go through the hiring process yearly and it is really bizarre how the hiring practices and wierd hiccups have gotten worse with smaller talent pool.

Previously I would have 1 technical call and maybe a meet and greet with some team members and have an offer in a day or two. Now its endless rounds of interviews and constant changes in direction.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
To echo Alavaz. Currently job hunting and I'm experiencing the same thing. Go super deep in the process, like 3 rounds with 5 interviews and it takes the company 2 weeks between each round and now they are saying another week to make a final decision. I've been remote consulting for the last 5 years for financial firms and go through the hiring process yearly and it is really bizarre how the hiring practices and wierd hiccups have gotten worse with smaller talent pool.

Previously I would have 1 technical call and maybe a meet and greet with some team members and have an offer in a day or two. Now its endless rounds of interviews and constant changes in direction.
Ugh, this isn't encouraging. Hopefully something comes through.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Yeah. Every tech job here in Texas has been minimum 3 to max 5 rounds of interviews. That is not even counting the initial call with the recruiter to kick off the process. Some companies are days between rounds others a week or more and all of them have no issue ghosting you at any point.

Dumb shit.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I rescinded an offer after my employer at the time gave me 20% more than the offer. The company seemed to have no problem with it and even followed up to let me know to keep them in my mind if I ever look for another position.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. Every tech job here in Texas has been minimum 3 to max 5 rounds of interviews. That is not even counting the initial call with the recruiter to kick off the process. Some companies are days between rounds others a week or more and all of them have no issue ghosting you at any point.

Dumb shit.

My BF just got an internship offer from Grubhub. 6 interviews total. For an internship. :emoji_unamused:

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Are 3rd party recruiters the ultimate shitlords? Either they tell u your perfect for a job and ask for a phone call but don't tell you anything about the company/position in their email. Seems like a lot try to hide this shit because they try to bait and switch you into some IT bullshit.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In short yes. In some situations I guess they serve the purpose. But my favorites are ones that call and try to prnounce stuff that is not a spoken word as a whole. Several I have received calls from asked me if I was familiar with Aisc and said it like it was one word. It's AISC. Took me a few minutes to figure out what she was attempting to say. Nothing gets the best recruits when you can't even communicate effectively with them. But I've had some that really try to keep the company name a secret. Well they will say the employers will be paying so much to relocate to X area and it takes 2 seconds to google the place and what they do to find out. How I got the job in San Antonio. The recruiter really didn't understand what she was saying and such. Googled and found the company and sent the president of the company a letter/resume. Got hired and they fired the HR lady that had been attempting to farm out their hiring.

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
In short yes. In some situations I guess they serve the purpose. But my favorites are ones that call and try to prnounce stuff that is not a spoken word as a whole. Several I have received calls from asked me if I was familiar with Aisc and said it like it was one word. It's AISC. Took me a few minutes to figure out what she was attempting to say. Nothing gets the best recruits when you can't even communicate effectively with them. But I've had some that really try to keep the company name a secret. Well they will say the employers will be paying so much to relocate to X area and it takes 2 seconds to google the place and what they do to find out. How I got the job in San Antonio. The recruiter really didn't understand what she was saying and such. Googled and found the company and sent the president of the company a letter/resume. Got hired and they fired the HR lady that had been attempting to farm out their hiring.
Im a software engineer, the worst are recruiters with 0 tech background. I don't even know how they're successful at their job.

I once had a recruiter reach out to me, education in EE, worked in DoD as an engineer before starting her firm. She was pretty rock solid. A unicorn out of the bunch for sure

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Update btw: had a second interview with a cuttinf-edge aerospace company, scored another interview with a great semiconductor company. Then I had an interview that was said bait and switch, interviewer didn't show. Did some googlefu, interviewer who is "Principal software engineer" has an AS in computer networking and telecommunication from local CC and his work is shit like "switched entire company phone system over to VOIP"...

I was like, the fuck? Where the fuck do you come up with your definition of software engineer.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm a software engineer. I installed windows on a desktop PC....

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Are 3rd party recruiters the ultimate shitlords? Either they tell u your perfect for a job and ask for a phone call but don't tell you anything about the company/position in their email. Seems like a lot try to hide this shit because they try to bait and switch you into some IT bullshit.

They all do that shit. They advertise for jobs on Linkedin in a way that makes you presume they're the hiring company when they're really just a staffing company. You don't even know the company hiring until the second or third phone call.

Also they are often ran by Indians who call you incessantly about the position. I was being contacted 10 times a day by these assholes. Once you realize the names of the company and that they're staffing places just don't even bother. Or get deep enough such that you can just go and apply on the company site.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The experience is completely different in Bay Area tech. I've found recruiters to be pretty legit. Depending on what your job function is, employees have more power here so that might be the case. If you're a good engineer or sales person in tech you command some serious leverage. So recruiters can't hold the cards like that.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My experience is kinda narrowed to DoD, but usually the recruiters for primary contractors (GD,Booz, Lockheed, etc. ) are decent. All of the shitty little subs that they have out there are the ones that really suck. Although I will say that my last go around with Booz was a circus though I blame the program management more than the recruiter.

• 1Like