Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At the end of this month I'm moving back to America after living in Europe for three years.

Anyone here know jobs that like people who have experience as a teacher? Or any tips at all?

All I ever did in America was work security/general labor. Don't really want to go back to either one of those. I want to do something that requires some thinking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lot of job shifting going on right now in the states due to the virus. Part time substitute teacher. The teachers here and other places I've seen are doing walk outs due to the virus. Maybe private tutor. My niece sends her two kids to a private deal when the virus hit. Only 6 students total, they hired someone to do the remote stuff and fill in the blanks for the kids.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know which area you're moving to?

Northern Georgia. Small college town called Athens.

Lot of job shifting going on right now in the states due to the virus. Part time substitute teacher. The teachers here and other places I've seen are doing walk outs due to the virus. Maybe private tutor. My niece sends her two kids to a private deal when the virus hit. Only 6 students total, they hired someone to do the remote stuff and fill in the blanks for the kids.

I would love to tutor history/english/german language. Thanks for the idea!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Well anyone in the southeast part of the US is going to know about "small" town Athens lol. Almost like football in the SEC is a big deal. Friend just moved there with an upswing in building of commercial properties. He does PM for their construction.

No idea on the public schools there as my friend is old like me but I would guess there is at least some demand for private stuff there, not like it's a small town of 300 which is what I think of when I hear small town.

• 1Truth!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well anyone in the southeast part of the US is going to know about "small" town Athens lol. Almost like football in the SEC is a big deal. Friend just moved there with an upswing in building of commercial properties. He does PM for their construction.

No idea on the public schools there as my friend is old like me but I would guess there is at least some demand for private stuff there, not like it's a small town of 300 which is what I think of when I hear small town.

Didn't know that. I'm from New England and I don't watch American football.

Borzak

Great all the locals with a hearty "Roll tide", make friends fast....no don't lol. You'll learn very quick. Or learn how to stick your arms out straight and scissor them up and down.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Northern Georgia. Small college town called Athens.

I would love to tutor history/english/german language. Thanks for the idea!

My sister lives there and it's a nice area. I'll ask her if she knows of anything. She works as a postal carrier and my niece goes to a local HS so they should know something about how well they've handled COVID and if there are tutoring opportunities in the local area.

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My sister lives there and it's a nice area. I'll ask her if she knows of anything. She works as a postal carrier and my niece goes to a local HS so they should know something about how well they've handled COVID and if there are tutoring opportunities in the local area.

Thanks man, I'd greatly appreciate anything little bit of info that springs up!

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
My daughter moved there in August for grad school at UGA. It’s a great place. I doubt you’d have trouble finding something similar to what you’re looking for.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My daughter moved there in August for grad school at UGA. It’s a great place. I doubt you’d have trouble finding something similar to what you’re looking for.

Crazy. My girlfriend goes to the graduate school at UGA. Small world.

Thanks for the well wishes!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So nailed an interview for a consulting job that will be $140k if I take it. Never worked in the healthcare industry before. 100% remote, developing ETL and datasets, which I generally enjoy doing. Not sure how much. I want to do consulting though. But will need to see the offer.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Consulting is big bucks and high stress mostly and can be violatile. I did it for 5 years pulled average of 200k a year.

But it's not the same as being an fte.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Yeah, I've considered trying the consultant thing also. We have a consultant that's been with our company for north of 10 years and this dude is making bigtime fat bucks(North of 200k). Not sure how he managed to grab the 8 or so clients he has since his personality isn't exactly gleaming.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Okay so I am done with my round of, "practice" interviews before I do real job hunting. Had two successes in my casual perusal.

1. Healthcare job as a data engineer (they call it BigData API Consultant but whatever) -> $150k contract 18 months.
  2. Data Engineer for Masonite -> 90 days contract to hire (guaranteed fulltime position at the end of 90 days barring you fuck up from what the recruiter told me) -> $125k

Job 1 is 100% remote but it is a contract position that lacks general full time benefits. Job 2 is full time with the usual and requires travel to Tampa, Florida at least once every two months and is otherwise remote.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I've considered trying the consultant thing also. We have a consultant that's been with our company for north of 10 years and this dude is making bigtime fat bucks(North of 200k). Not sure how he managed to grab the 8 or so clients he has since his personality isn't exactly gleaming.
Logical conclusion is that the dude gets results so they ignore how much of an annoying person he is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've always thought of doing consultant with but not sure how much I like volatility while being a sole provider for a family

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've always thought of doing consultant with but not sure how much I like volatility while being a sole provider for a family
I'm willing to yolo it some here. Moving into my current job was one of my best career decisions yet. I was given projects and responsibilities far beyond my skill level that really expanded by experience.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The yolo portion of being approached with a contract is to yolo your rate. If they say no, who cares, you weren't planning on leaving your salaried job anyway. If they say yes... well... good for you.

I got a 70k/yr pay increase when I did this. And I was already making very, very good money beforehand. 5 years later and I still am on this indefinite contract with no end in sight.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So that job I turned down called me back this week. They told me they want me at a part-time capacity just to get my help on some stuff. Willing to shell out a $90/hour rate with conversion to FTE in January if I want. Or keep at the contract and increase hours.

During the initial interview, I pointed out what ended up being a critical failure in their data architecture that the entire team didn't notice or even understand. I guess they're on the mend and fixing it but it wouldn't have cost them a metric fuckton of money if they just progressed without taking it into account.

So their CDO ended up calling for me directly. Not even the original hiring manager.

This is both convenient and juicy so I'll be taking it on.

• 2Like