Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Nija Nija

I was approached by my moonlight job as a consultant for a full time one recently. This is like the third time they have but now with the shakeup that happened a few months ago I'd actually be where I wanted to be on their data engineering team rather than consulting for one of the business orgs to meet their data needs.

Now, they know I have a second full time position and was more part time with them. But I am going to do a switcheroo here. I am taking this job because I know I can still do my other job fine especially now that I've trained my team up there. I am going to put more full time effort into the new position while "part timing" my other one.

It's going to be good and I get to use Azure for stuff which I've never done before.

Both are, of course, fully remote and I will likely do a few days in the office a year. One is in Dallas the other in Austin.
So you are basically like Dollar Bill in Billions. One full-time life in Dallas and another one in Austin.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Accounting has a big degree of gatekeeping in terms of you need to have more credit hours for a B.S. in Accounting than any other degree (5th year accounting students is a thing). Its only once you meet that requirement that you're allowed to take the CPA exam.

Something like that.
Most common misconception about the CPA exam is that it isnt just the credit hours in Graduate Accounting (usually 30 depending on the state) that are the big snag to get your CPA, its the hours of auditing that need signed off by another CPA you worked under doing the auditing. To be honest, the only major difference between a CPA and an EA (Enrolled Agent) is the ability to audit (and that everyone has heard of CPA and no one has heard of EA). If you have no intentions of doing audits, its easier and cheaper to get the EA. EA allows you to represent clients in front of the IRS the same as a CPA and also lets you file their taxes just as a CPA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Nija Nija

I was approached by my moonlight job as a consultant for a full time one recently. This is like the third time they have but now with the shakeup that happened a few months ago I'd actually be where I wanted to be on their data engineering team rather than consulting for one of the business orgs to meet their data needs.

Now, they know I have a second full time position and was more part time with them. But I am going to do a switcheroo here. I am taking this job because I know I can still do my other job fine especially now that I've trained my team up there. I am going to put more full time effort into the new position while "part timing" my other one.

It's going to be good and I get to use Azure for stuff which I've never done before.

Both are, of course, fully remote and I will likely do a few days in the office a year. One is in Dallas the other in Austin.
Awesome. If you have the right relationships in place at each company, I would be as transparent as possible. Good people appreciate that. I did a similar thing, started full time one place, part time at another, and swapped time commitments after about 3 years. It worked out.

My advice is to RAID 1 your incomes and live off one, invest / save the other. To be honest, my goal was to live off the lesser income, but I never quite reached that. It's a fantastic setup though, great work accomplishing that milestone.

I'm also ramping up on Azure stuff now, after using AWS for a decade. Knocked out the dummy cert, Azure Fundamentals, but I'm having trouble focusing on the developer / sysadmin tracks. It's unnecessary for me, but I might spin it up at some point.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Awesome. If you have the right relationships in place at each company, I would be as transparent as possible. Good people appreciate that. I did a similar thing, started full time one place, part time at another, and swapped time commitments after about 3 years. It worked out.

My advice is to RAID 1 your incomes and live off one, invest / save the other. To be honest, my goal was to live off the lesser income, but I never quite reached that. It's a fantastic setup though, great work accomplishing that milestone.

I'm also ramping up on Azure stuff now, after using AWS for a decade. Knocked out the dummy cert, Azure Fundamentals, but I'm having trouble focusing on the developer / sysadmin tracks. It's unnecessary for me, but I might spin it up at some point.
I have Salesforce Platform Dev 1, LookML certified developer, SnowPro Snowflake data platform cert, and GCP Professional Data Engineer.

I've never actually used Azure before but I may get a cert for it later if I'm in the mood. I don't have an AWS one. But so far I've only used GCP and AWS.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Never thought about it but I bet with working from home with some jobs it would be possible to hold down 2 full time jobs without them knowing about each other. I think this board is pretty good evidence that plenty of people are spending at least half their time at work goofing off as it is.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Never thought about it but I bet with working from home with some jobs it would be possible to hold down 2 full time jobs without them knowing about each other. I think this board is pretty good evidence that plenty of people are spending at least half their time at work goofing off as it is.
A lot of people I work with have a fulltime salaried job and also are part of LLCs where they are consultants for other companies that aren't clients of ours, and bill their time by the hour to those companies through the LLCs.

A few have two fulltime jobs but you can't really do that for very long. I worked for my previous employer second shift Friday-Monday and my current employer Monday-Friday 8-5 for about 2.5 weeks and it was absolutely brutal. Also they were direct competitors so it was fucking lol.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, make no mistake. I do complete all of my tasks. Over the years of working in a specific data space oriented software engineering I have become quite proficient at it. Things they think are major massive time intensive projects I am able to complete very quickly a lot of the time. For instance, a new hire I gave what I thought was a small task. It took him a month before he came back to me and said he was stuck. I did the entire thing in an afternoon. I just don't let them know how much time it would take me personally to do that. Underpromise, overdeliver and all that.

Also both of my jobs do know about each other I am just bullshitting about how much time (on paper) I am spending at the other job.

I've really benefitted from gaining experience a wide breadth of enterprise platforms. It is very hard to find people who can navigate around a dozen enterprise systems as you generally have to hire people for platform specific roles. Salesforce, ServiceNow, NetSuite, etc. So I get a lot more leeway than I would otherwise get.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Nice, I'm going the other direction - cert wise anyway. The customer that I work for has been and will likely remain on Azure. I have both the DevOps and Solutions Architect certs from Microsoft.

My company though, is a big Systems Integration partner with AWS and is looking to get some more certified people so they offered to send me to a couple of courses over the next year and pay for 3 attempts on any cert. I think I'm going to start with Solutions Architect - Associate and see how it goes.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So a deeper dive last night and got some clarification via email this morning.
- 1 day a week on-site will change to fully remote apart from occasional in person meetings
- All compensation categories are solidly better than my current position

Just waiting to hear back on my request for a little bump in the base salary, will accept the offer either way. Then drug test and background check, which are both non-issues.
Salary increase was approved. Start date set for August 1. Hopefully I don’t hate it 😀

Will be weird to start somewhere new after 9 years in the same building.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm still getting about 10-15 messages a week. Here's one that I'm actually going to talk with. I know it's her hook, but it's a shiny fucking hook. Winner, biggest range:

1657895699323.png

• 1Worf

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Gave my notice today. Immediate response from my boss was "ah, shit" followed by "I assume more money and in line with what you're interested in?" and "thanks for what you've done over the years." So that was nice to hear.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I think yesterday was probably the last event in my whole job hunting experience this year.

I've been in the same building for just about 19 years, across 4 different companies. Union gig, and it was something I was fine with for a long time - do your work and go home.

2 and a half years ago, they offered me a job training all the new hires, and I took it because my body was breaking down - knee problems, back problems, and I just couldn't see myself sitting on a forklift for the next 20 years (still in my early 40's, so what other choice did I have?). Turns out, I really enjoy it. Which is odd, because I'm about as introverted as it gets, and I fucking hate meeting new people. But, ever since my divorce 4 years ago, I have a decent amount of ambition since it's only my income holding the house together, and I'm also not wasting a bunch of mental energy dealing with a soul stealing relationship.

So, the training gig is fine, but I was still a member of the union, which caused infinite problems. "How come he doesn't have to do this shit, I have more seniority!" Because I'm doing my job, fucknuts, so go do yours and mind your own fucking business. Which flies like a lead balloon because unions are for the worthless sacks of shit in the world. Covid came and went and our staffing issues haven't gotten better. Turns out no one wants to actually work for a living anymore, so we've gotta weed thru about 5 people who actually make it in the door for every one we can get to stay for a fucking year. It's absolutely brutal. In January, I put in my notice, because I just couldn't keep doing my job, and then doing a bunch of mandatory overtime in the evenings and weekends because of our staffing shortages. I've been here damned near 20 fucking years, and what is promised (or at least strongly implied) when you work a union job is that you do the shit jobs when you start, and when you've been there awhile, you've got a gravy gig working easy hours and overtime when you want. That wasn't happening. I had a job lined up that was much closer to home (and that's saying something, because I have a 15 minute commute), but a 20% pay cut because I just couldn't do it anymore.

Much to my surprise (and it really was my surprise, because it's a union gig and they don't have the flexibility to just pay me more), I was met with "Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold on a minute." My management team makes it absolutely clear to upper management that I am not allowed to walk out the door for any fucking reason. There are no suitable candidates in house to do the job I do with the skillset, personality and professionalism I have, to say nothing of anyone who would actually WANT the job, and obviously finding an external candidate would be futile because of the massive amount of internal knowledge one would need to effectively teach others how to do their job. This lead to literally every single rule not apply to me. Mandatory overtime? Leave when you want to leave. Attendance? We'll handle it on the back end. Can't do the manual labor anymore? Don't, do your work, leave when you're done. The salt was fucking endless from the union fucks. In the meantime, they started working on building me a job, and I can't even believe how much HR clogs up a process. They original promise was to make me salaried doing the same job, and it just met roadblock after roadblock. Some of them self inflicted, because obviously in my state of being "done" with this job, I got a little cavalier with some language with some people a few paygrades too high. Honestly, fuck em. I can't even believe how soft skinned and out of touch director and VP level cocksuckers who have been working from home for 2 years are. Zero respect for those empty suit pieces of shit.

Eventually, though, the plant manager came to me and said "Look, we've been jerking you around long enough and we need to make this right. I've got 2 options. I can get the salaried thing done, but it's gonna take a few more months as we navigate what the command structure looks like for that job, and I don't feel like we have that time with you right now. Or, I can pull you out of the union now into an hourly role where you do the same exact job, bump up your pay accordingly and get you out of all of those obligations and you can just focus on your job." Yeah, sure, lets do that I suppose.

Now, transitioning from a really cozy union gig with a ton of seniority to a non-union comes with a lot of challenges. The first being my absolutely excessive amount of PTO. We don't have PTO, we have vacation, and sick. And I accrue 7.5 weeks a year combined. I had over 500 hours in my bank at the time of the transition, and that would drop down to 5 weeks accrual and a cap of 280 with the company. I was told my vacation would carry over and my sick would get paid out. Okay, no problem, sounds fair. Then we had to cover my fucking nonsensical health insurance. My health insurance was $45/mo, for a $500 deductible, 85/15, and a $2500 OOP max. Stupid good. After giving me a 25% raise, they tried to account for the difference in my insurance and ran into the problem of me being so close to the pay cap for this position that they couldn't do much else. And actually, and truthfully, I'm totally okay with this. I am not actually motivated by money at this point in my life - I'm motivated by time. My kids are 11 and 21 - I missed one kid growing up because of this job, I don't wanna miss the other one. They also told me I could come in when I want and leave when I want....I literally have the option to work 1000 hours of OT a year if I want. So I figured, hourly gig, I can just work more if I need more money. It'll be fine.

So we get into it a few weeks ago and the process actually gets figured out. I'm being terminated from the union, and all the things that happen with that happen. They pay out my vacation and my sick days just fucking evaporate. What the fuck. 320 hours just *poof*, gone. I'm pissed, because I would have gotten another shot in my knee and taken a couple weeks off if that was the case. Then I start over at 0 PTO accrued in my new job, so all my vacation plans are toast this year. I am understandably annoyed at this. Plant manager says he will pay me for all my scheduled vacation this year, and anything else I want to take. Okay, fine, but I'm still fucking pissed about 8 weeks of PTO just evaporating and turning into nothing. Then, I have an epiphany - I don't NEED to be there 5 days a week. To do my job, I need to be there 3 days, and about half of Monday. I approach the plant manager about 4 10's, which is fucking unheard of in this building - we are a 24/7 operation.

He tells me "You have absolute autonomy to work whenever and however you want, to control your program how you see fit, and to change that on a weekly basis with no approval from anyone."

There it is. Another 52 days off a year, and I'm Mon-Th now, with 3 day weekends to spend with my kids. I can come and go as I please, and I report to no one.

The best part? And I'm actually laughing more about this than my approval to work whenever I want - is my supervisor goes to the plant manager and says "Yeah, so I'm totally on board with him working 4-10's, and actually this would open up the door for more of us to work those kinds of schedules...."

Plant manager cuts him off and says "You're not in that bucket."

fucking lol.

• 12Like
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 13 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think yesterday was probably the last event in my whole job hunting experience this year.

I've been in the same building for just about 19 years, across 4 different companies. Union gig, and it was something I was fine with for a long time - do your work and go home.

2 and a half years ago, they offered me a job training all the new hires, and I took it because my body was breaking down - knee problems, back problems, and I just couldn't see myself sitting on a forklift for the next 20 years (still in my early 40's, so what other choice did I have?). Turns out, I really enjoy it. Which is odd, because I'm about as introverted as it gets, and I fucking hate meeting new people. But, ever since my divorce 4 years ago, I have a decent amount of ambition since it's only my income holding the house together, and I'm also not wasting a bunch of mental energy dealing with a soul stealing relationship.

So, the training gig is fine, but I was still a member of the union, which caused infinite problems. "How come he doesn't have to do this shit, I have more seniority!" Because I'm doing my job, fucknuts, so go do yours and mind your own fucking business. Which flies like a lead balloon because unions are for the worthless sacks of shit in the world. Covid came and went and our staffing issues haven't gotten better. Turns out no one wants to actually work for a living anymore, so we've gotta weed thru about 5 people who actually make it in the door for every one we can get to stay for a fucking year. It's absolutely brutal. In January, I put in my notice, because I just couldn't keep doing my job, and then doing a bunch of mandatory overtime in the evenings and weekends because of our staffing shortages. I've been here damned near 20 fucking years, and what is promised (or at least strongly implied) when you work a union job is that you do the shit jobs when you start, and when you've been there awhile, you've got a gravy gig working easy hours and overtime when you want. That wasn't happening. I had a job lined up that was much closer to home (and that's saying something, because I have a 15 minute commute), but a 20% pay cut because I just couldn't do it anymore.

Much to my surprise (and it really was my surprise, because it's a union gig and they don't have the flexibility to just pay me more), I was met with "Whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold on a minute." My management team makes it absolutely clear to upper management that I am not allowed to walk out the door for any fucking reason. There are no suitable candidates in house to do the job I do with the skillset, personality and professionalism I have, to say nothing of anyone who would actually WANT the job, and obviously finding an external candidate would be futile because of the massive amount of internal knowledge one would need to effectively teach others how to do their job. This lead to literally every single rule not apply to me. Mandatory overtime? Leave when you want to leave. Attendance? We'll handle it on the back end. Can't do the manual labor anymore? Don't, do your work, leave when you're done. The salt was fucking endless from the union fucks. In the meantime, they started working on building me a job, and I can't even believe how much HR clogs up a process. They original promise was to make me salaried doing the same job, and it just met roadblock after roadblock. Some of them self inflicted, because obviously in my state of being "done" with this job, I got a little cavalier with some language with some people a few paygrades too high. Honestly, fuck em. I can't even believe how soft skinned and out of touch director and VP level cocksuckers who have been working from home for 2 years are. Zero respect for those empty suit pieces of shit.

Eventually, though, the plant manager came to me and said "Look, we've been jerking you around long enough and we need to make this right. I've got 2 options. I can get the salaried thing done, but it's gonna take a few more months as we navigate what the command structure looks like for that job, and I don't feel like we have that time with you right now. Or, I can pull you out of the union now into an hourly role where you do the same exact job, bump up your pay accordingly and get you out of all of those obligations and you can just focus on your job." Yeah, sure, lets do that I suppose.

Now, transitioning from a really cozy union gig with a ton of seniority to a non-union comes with a lot of challenges. The first being my absolutely excessive amount of PTO. We don't have PTO, we have vacation, and sick. And I accrue 7.5 weeks a year combined. I had over 500 hours in my bank at the time of the transition, and that would drop down to 5 weeks accrual and a cap of 280 with the company. I was told my vacation would carry over and my sick would get paid out. Okay, no problem, sounds fair. Then we had to cover my fucking nonsensical health insurance. My health insurance was $45/mo, for a $500 deductible, 85/15, and a $2500 OOP max. Stupid good. After giving me a 25% raise, they tried to account for the difference in my insurance and ran into the problem of me being so close to the pay cap for this position that they couldn't do much else. And actually, and truthfully, I'm totally okay with this. I am not actually motivated by money at this point in my life - I'm motivated by time. My kids are 11 and 21 - I missed one kid growing up because of this job, I don't wanna miss the other one. They also told me I could come in when I want and leave when I want....I literally have the option to work 1000 hours of OT a year if I want. So I figured, hourly gig, I can just work more if I need more money. It'll be fine.

So we get into it a few weeks ago and the process actually gets figured out. I'm being terminated from the union, and all the things that happen with that happen. They pay out my vacation and my sick days just fucking evaporate. What the fuck. 320 hours just *poof*, gone. I'm pissed, because I would have gotten another shot in my knee and taken a couple weeks off if that was the case. Then I start over at 0 PTO accrued in my new job, so all my vacation plans are toast this year. I am understandably annoyed at this. Plant manager says he will pay me for all my scheduled vacation this year, and anything else I want to take. Okay, fine, but I'm still fucking pissed about 8 weeks of PTO just evaporating and turning into nothing. Then, I have an epiphany - I don't NEED to be there 5 days a week. To do my job, I need to be there 3 days, and about half of Monday. I approach the plant manager about 4 10's, which is fucking unheard of in this building - we are a 24/7 operation.

He tells me "You have absolute autonomy to work whenever and however you want, to control your program how you see fit, and to change that on a weekly basis with no approval from anyone."

There it is. Another 52 days off a year, and I'm Mon-Th now, with 3 day weekends to spend with my kids. I can come and go as I please, and I report to no one.

The best part? And I'm actually laughing more about this than my approval to work whenever I want - is my supervisor goes to the plant manager and says "Yeah, so I'm totally on board with him working 4-10's, and actually this would open up the door for more of us to work those kinds of schedules...."

Plant manager cuts him off and says "You're not in that bucket."

fucking lol.
Schitts Creek Good Job GIF by CBC

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Welcome to 2 years ago. People have been multi-gigging in IT like crazy ever since the pandemic hit. Some other fields as well. Issue is that you end up doing a shitty job, due to availability and divided attention. Thing is its almost like people don't give a fuck in IT about it right now, due to how much labor is in control of that field atm. I have heard of dudes holding down three full time jobs at once and basically just doing some minor bullshit and meeting surfing to appear busy enough to keep drawing a check. I am not ambitious or sociopathic enough to do something like that, but its well within the realm of possibility and there have been articles about it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Always be careful with counter offers most people end up leaving anyways due to shit that can arise from it.

This is a fairly common line in my arsenal as a head-hunter. Fortunately I have had very few candidates accept counter offers. I had one candidate who accidentally told me he was hoping he would get one but didn't lol, so he accepted offer from my client

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
I have spent the last 9 months recovering from surgery. I haven't been unemployed for more than a couple weeks prior to this. Long story shor i took a 2 week course and just got my DZ endorsement this week. I applied to my first job this morning and got a phone call within 2 minutes to set up my interview. I'm glad the notice said salary negotiable, because he was eager as fuck on the phone.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a number of posters were already doing this but keeping it on the down low.