John Smedley hired by Amazon to produce MMOs

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I would like to note I was the first to publicly identify qwert.

He may still be retarded but he is way less abrasive thus far.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I would like to note I was the first to publicly identify qwert.

He may still be retarded but he is way less abrasive thus far.
yeah, it's a shame he couldn't have behaved like this a few weeks ago when I went out of my way to try to save him from himself. at this point he's just a lonely retard actively skirting a ban who has no one left to vouch for him.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah, it's a shame he couldn't have behaved like this a few weeks ago when I went out of my way to try to save him from himself. at this point he's just a lonely retard actively skirting a ban who has no one left to vouch for him.

Won't vouch for him, but he does keep the banter flowing since it comes from a different place than most.

I think someone recently posted a gif in one of the threads here about how keeping your mouth shut sometimes makes you cool. A little self restraint goes a long ways.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
What I am saying is that the engine wasn't as terrible as people make out because 3 years later it ran great. How do you explain that?

I would go with you being a low functioning retard who's stupid enough to thing that EQ was developed on the Unreal engine. It's plain to see that you are so far over your head when talking about the actual nuts and bolts of game design that it is totally safe to laugh at any input you try to spew out in your desperate attention seeking posts.

Smed is currently kicking around an idea for a mobile game called Decayed Skeleton Go.

edit: I might lay some good money I am not far off the mark

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
He is also completely clueless, not just because his post recommends an engine that wasn't available at the time.

LOL... First off.. EQ was built off the modified Tanarus engine, not Unreal. Tanarus was a tank game that Verant developed back in the late 1990s. BigWorld was not only available to the VG team, it was offered to us, and considered by the team as a possible choice. Unreal 2 was chosen as the base because our lead coder was good friends with Tim Sweeney, and they felt we could get better support from the Unreal team. SGO never had 300 people working on anything. The most we ever had at the company was around 130-ish. I worked at SGO for over 2 years before VG was bought out by SOE.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
LOL... First off.. EQ was built off the modified Tanarus engine, not Unreal. Tanarus was a tank game that Verant developed back in the late 1990s. BigWorld was not only available to the VG team, it was offered to us, and considered by the team as a possible choice. Unreal 2 was chosen as the base because our lead coder was good friends with Tim Sweeney, and they felt we could get better support from the Unreal team. SGO never had 300 people working on anything. The most we ever had at the company was around 130-ish. I worked at SGO for over 2 years before VG was bought out by SOE.

I dunno between you and the new guy, I think the only way to solve this is an EQ and VG trivia duel.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
But the holes were fixed, that is the point. It took SOE a few years to fix them to the point that it was a solid game, but they had 2 people working on it part time. SGO had 300 people working on it full time.

Wrong again. For the better part of a year after the sale, SOE had a team of about 50 people working on VG. It was a bigger team than EQ had at that time by more than double. It wasn't until a couple years later than the VG team shrunk to about 5 or 6, right before they shut it down.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users
Wrong again. For the better part of a year after the sale, SOE had a team of about 50 people working on VG. It was a bigger team than EQ had at that time by more than double. It wasn't until a couple years later than the VG team shrunk to about 5 or 6, right before they shut it down.
Wrong again? What was I wrong about previously? And I don't believe that 50 people thing, I played Vanguard a lot and it was mostly abandoned by the devs. They had Silius doing dumb stuff to it like adding OP quest lines, rifts, etc.

130 is still a lot, and that was full time unlike what SOE had on Vanguard after release. Do you really think the engine couldn't have been made to work well before release if they had the budget for another several months of development? Because that's what people are saying.

I would go with you being a low functioning retard who's stupid enough to thing that EQ was developed on the Unreal engine. It's plain to see that you are so far over your head when talking about the actual nuts and bolts of game design that it is totally safe to laugh at any input you try to spew out in your desperate attention seeking posts.
Why was Unreal a stupid suggestion? Vanguard was Unreal2. And this has nothing to do with game design. Again, all you can do is throw insults because you have nothing else to offer.

i explain it by telling you that the engine was really that bad and the reason you can't see that is because you are a biased cunt.
Did you even play the game? I am not biased at all, the game hitched a lot and didn't run very well for me. And then I upgraded my PC to hardware that was a generation ahead of what was available when Vanguard released. A combination of that and the optimisation they had done to it, it ran perfectly. No hitching, no 'lag', zoning never took more than a few seconds, and it looked amazing. I am not the only one who says this. And if you get on the VG EMU you will see the same thing.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Wrong again? What was I wrong about previously? And I don't believe that 50 people thing, I played Vanguard a lot and it was mostly abandoned by the devs. They had Silius doing dumb stuff to it like adding OP quest lines, rifts, etc.

Funny thing about facts. You not believing them doesn't matter. You seem to forget I was there. When the layoffs at SGO happened, ALL of the people SOE picked up worked on VG. When I joined the EQ team, they were still working on VG. Ancient Port Warehouse was built/populated after the layoffs. As for what you got wrong before.. Wow.. You were wrong about Unreal being used for EQ1. You were wrong about BigWorld not being available. You were wrong about 300 people working at SGO. Yes, Silius did some crazy shit while at SOE, including getting banned from his own forums..

I think you're seeing VG's performance through rose-colored glasses. Even as we were shutting it down, it still hitched. It was MUCH better than when we launched it, but it still hitched. There really was no way we were going to ever fix that because of how assets were loaded in an MMO space. When not connected to a server, it was glass smooth even at launch. As soon as network traffic got involved, hitchville. As bad as it was at launch, I'm still proud of the work I did on VG.. I put 2 years of VERY long days into it. The last 6 months were 15+ hour days, often 6 days a week. It still wasn't enough.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Holy fuck dude, get some help.

I mean that seriously, without insult intended. You are completely unhinged from reality, and it's frightening.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Vanguard account was banned some time in 2010 I think. I only played the "free" month that came with the box right at release.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I see so many posts in these old games talking about getting banned. Wth are you people doing that you feel so compelled to break the rules. Lol