John Wick: Chapter 4 (2022)

Juvarisx

Florida
The hotline Miami scene was top fucking notch. Easily the best one after pt. 1

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Just saw this today. Very solid. Went in wanting Gun Fu, got Gun Fu. Went in wanting to see the good doggo, saw good doggo. Was John Wick in fact John Wicking all over the place? Yes. Was Ian McShane going all Ian McShane? Absolutely! And was Laurence Fishburn massively hamming it up, most definitely! The story was solid and went where it needed to go. Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus wasn't as thrilled with the ending, but I thought it was pretty much pitch perfect. There is a post credits scene, but it's essentially inconsequential and irrelevant.

Only letdown was seeing Mr Wick working in 9mm and not God's Caliber.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are the action scenes a little more grounded like 1 or ridiculously over the top like 3?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Are the action scenes a little more grounded like 1 or ridiculously over the top like 3?
Oh yeah, this is firmly in "you have to accept they're in a universe where humans are ASTOUNDINGLY more durable" among other things.. But if you can't hit that level of suspension of disbelief then I don't think any of the Wick movies are really right for you. ;)

Homsar

I'm more talking about when Keanu is throwing himself everywhere and breaking shit himself lol

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Did a rewatch of 1 to 3 as well, one movie a night in the lead up to watching this since it's been a while. The problems I had with 2 and 3 at the time they came out weren't as big of a deal this go around and I was able to appreciate what each one added and elevated to the series. I bring that up because 4 takes things to another level again and it's fucking great. In particular, I think of where they started with car combat in 1 and where they have ended up in 4, they really put in the work.

Some things you just need to roll with to allow your self to have a good time. Do most people have a bulletproof business suit? Yes. Does John Wick have an adamantium skeleton? Yes. Does this get in the way of your enjoyment? Only if you let it.

I was genuinely worried about the run time going in. By the end it's a very solid entry that could have been a bloated mess but instead embraces its scope and the time needed to tell it. This franchise continues to be a gift.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, killing like 400 bad guys, half of whom could have dropped him safely from ten feet away instead of approaching for CQC... that wasn't grounded, even if they did show him reloading.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I'm more talking about when Keanu is throwing himself everywhere and breaking shit himself lol
I would say they have the complexity or more of 3 but with better pacing. They get the balance better and keep things moving forward or changing to hold your interest.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just saw this in Super Laser IMAX With Earthquake Seats. At first I thought it was "Loud Noises: The Movie" but by the end I thought this might be a contender for best action movie of all time.

No joke.

I loved the first one, it's easily in my top 20 movies of all time and might even crack top 5 for action movies. Maybe. 2 was good and 3 was alright, 2 expanded the lore quite a bit. 3 I could have probably done without, and I think if the fat were trimmed and JW4 had been the third movie it would be remembered as among the greatest trilogies of all time. So much good stuff in this one. Also enjoyed the quick meta-conversation between Keanu and Fishburne about how the "farewell tour" is going.

JW4 though takes things to another level. It's the gravitas and emotion of the first movie + the lore of the second + action at an entirely new level. Everything built to the final act, giving it all kinds of stakes upon stakes, and it all paid off with a bunch of powerful moments.

Matrix 1 is no longer Keanu's best movie, IMO. This is THAT fucking good.

• 2Like
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is this the final entry or something? Or are they gonna make more of these?

I checked out after the 2nd one, the "lore" got too gay

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I checked out after the 2nd one, the "lore" got too gay

Don't play Assassin's Creed, it has very similar lore that also explodes in the second game.

This is the last entry, yes.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
One question I have.... don't click if you haven't seen it, and spoiler your responses cause I wouldn't want to give this away for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

The thing at the end when Keanu didn't fire his last bullet...was that on purpose? Like did he intentionally hold back and hope for the best, knowing the asshole Marquis would definitely want to go for the kill shot and thus make himself fair game? Probably not, Donnie was likely just better. But I'd like to think maybe the two of them had some kind of unspoken plan to get out of that mess.

Homsar

I still don't get how a blind person fucks people up like he's god damn Daredevil, is he only partially blind?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Matrix 1 is no longer Keanu's best movie, IMO. This is THAT fucking good.
Fuck off. Ain't no way. I haven't seen this, but the first Matrix is almost perfect(pacing, length, story, etc.), especially considering where the world has ended up since. It holds up so damn well because a massive amount of its commentary is either occurring actually in 2023, has already occurred, or is occurring allegorically.
Supposed to be the final one, but Keanu's comments at the premiere of this makes me highly, highly doubt that.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
One question I have.... don't click if you haven't seen it, and spoiler your responses cause I wouldn't want to give this away for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

The thing at the end when Keanu didn't fire his last bullet...was that on purpose? Like did he intentionally hold back and hope for the best, knowing the asshole Marquis would definitely want to go for the kill shot and thus make himself fair game? Probably not, Donnie was likely just better. But I'd like to think maybe the two of them had some kind of unspoken plan to get out of that mess.
Well....
At the bottom of that ridiculous stair sequence, when "long stair fight, part deux" starts Donnie mentions that he needs him to get to that church. I see no reason for that since if he didn't make it, then Donnie would default win so long as Donnie doesn't kill him before the duel. In my mind this means they had an arrangement (which we might have simply not seen on screen) to play it like they did. The Marquis was one dimensional enough that betting he'd want to get the kill shot of Wick wasn't a longshot bet. Also, it was very possibly the only way to do it so that Wick gets out, Caine gets out, Winston gets restored, and the Marquis dies. Again, to enjoy these movies you need to not let yourself get hung up on picky details. ;)

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I still don't get how a blind person fucks people up like he's god damn Daredevil, is he only partially blind?

That's one thing I would have changed about this movie. That and putting the cut hour back in and just splitting it into JW4 and 5.

Donnie Yen's character being blind was interesting and his abilities were impressive, but it really strained the suspension of disbelief after a while.