Joker (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

DnvFk5TU0AAeiPo.jpg

DnvFk5SUUAASezZ.jpg
DnvFk6ZV4AAoEen.jpg

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They need to accept Heath Ledger's Joker was lightning in a bottle. It's not the type of thing you can force

• 5Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This movie shouldn't need to be about The Joker to work, I think that might be what is bothering me about this. A Joker movie shouldn't be about him until the end... honestly you shouldn't even have known it was about the Joker until the end.

Maybe I am just burnt out on Super Hero movies trying to sell me new versions of the character over and over again.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This movie shouldn't need to be about The Joker to work, I think that might be what is bothering me about this. A Joker movie shouldn't be about him until the end... honestly you shouldn't even have known it was about the Joker until the end.

Maybe I am just burnt out on Super Hero movies trying to sell me new versions of the character over and over again.

A 10 Cloverfield Lane style Joker movie would be pretty cool. You watch some poor schmuck just trying to keep his life together while failing as a comedian, only to lose his shit and suddenly start brutally murdering people near the end while cackling madly.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I like the suit alright but he's too much clown and not enough joker in the face paint. Harlequins, fools, jesters, jokers, and clowns are not all the same thing and they are not interchangeable. The grin's pretty good but that red clown nose is really out of place.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like the suit alright but he's too much clown and not enough joker in the face paint. Harlequins, fools, jesters, jokers, and clowns are not all the same thing and they are not interchangeable. The grin's pretty good but that red clown nose is really out of place.
Yes, exactly. That nose paint simply does not need to be there. I'm interested to see how Phoenix portrays Joker.

• 2Like

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I think it looks fine, it looks like a period piece.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I don't particularly care for the make-up, but I think what's under it has potential.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think they'll trying too hard to make this the begining and very primitive. I'm sure there's going to be some sort of evolution in how he creates himself to being the Joker we know but i'm just afraid they're going to make the moment last too long. I'm ok if he goes crazy or whatever and grabs whatever he can get his hands on to create the makeup but the Joker needs to go ride the downward spiral fairly quick. We just know too much about him. You either have to stay on the front end of this and make the last 30 minutes show his scares and face paint or get there quick and show just how far he goes to hell.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I have faith in Phoenix delivering a solid performance, because he almost always does.

Now, I have no clue if the movie itself will be any good outside of Phoenix's performance. I feel WB has no clue wtf they are doing, and just throwing stuff out there hoping something will be good.

That said, a stand alone Joker movie holds very little appeal to me. Even if it's great, I'm unlikely to see it in the theater. It will be a rental at best.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
He looks good after you adjust to the facepaint being more clownish. It fits in with Heath Ledger' joker, they need to recon the Suicide Squad one to being a corrupted Robin.

• 2Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Ok-- I am no comic-book aficionado, but I do recall reading Batman/Joker comic books and being profoundly disturbed by them. The portrayal of the Joker in the comic books is that of a completely amoral, perverse, disturbed, evil, psychopath and murderer of hundreds (thousands)? I don't believe that this character can, or should, be translated to film. Tolerable in 2D; his hyperbole, will either come off as too grotesque or it will be over-the-top and campy/ridiculous. I don't think a movie audience is ready for a true depiction of the evil that is comic book Joker.

(Also, I can never understand how Batman could sleep at all knowing he always lets Joker live and then he continues to kill scores of people).

I guess Batman wouldn't do well with the go-back-in-time and kill baby Hitler scenario either (nod to Deadpool 2).

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Ok-- I am no comic-book aficionado, but I do recall reading Batman/Joker comic books and being profoundly disturbed by them. The portrayal of the Joker in the comic books is that of a completely amoral, perverse, disturbed, evil, psychopath and murderer of hundreds (thousands)? I don't believe that this character can, or should, be translated to film. Tolerable in 2D; his hyperbole, will either come off as too grotesque or it will be over-the-top and campy/ridiculous. I don't think a movie audience is ready for a true depiction of the evil that is comic book Joker.

(Also, I can never understand how Batman could sleep at all knowing he always lets Joker live and then he continues to kill scores of people).

I guess Batman wouldn't do well with the go-back-in-time and kill baby Hitler scenario either (nod to Deadpool 2).

The big reason Jim Gordon backs Batman is because Batman doesn't kill. He would turn on Bats in a Metropolis minute if Batman killed the Joker nevermidn anyone else. I am pretty sure he tells him tgat out right at least once that I can remember. (I never collected, just read a bunch of collections online over the years)

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Joker killed millions in Injustice. Batman has also killed the Joker in more than one iteration.

There are two versions of Joker, the jokester and the psychopath. One puts people in precarious situations and puzzles for Batman to handle (a more dangerous Riddler). The other just ruthlessly fucks with Batman by means of mayhem, maiming, killing, twisting, corrupting and whatnot. The Dark Knight melded both together. We need to see one that's a bit more actual chaos.

Side note, there were a lot of subtle hints in Suicide Squad (and maybe Justice League) that that Joker was indeed the Jason Todd version. Which makes sense for the maniacal representation of him.