JRPGs

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I tried DQ, but couldn't do it. The magic isnt there for me anymore.

Looking forward to cold steel 3 <3

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
55 hours in to DQ11 myself and really enjoying it. I can see people having issues with it though, something you have to be in the mood for I think.

Yeah also really looking forward to Cold Steel 3. Might pick up 1 and 2 on PS4 when they come out as you can import your PS3 save to PS4 with some kind of utility.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I can see people having issues with it though

Ditto... as I've stated earlier in this thread, I can absolutely wrap my head around people playing it and regardless of how gorgeous the landscapes are, the art style of the monsters and characters, the simplicity of the combat system, and the outdated midi music are some real, valid criticisms that I can understand... yet it's perfect for old school fans who played the originals on the NES 30 years ago. The game just absolutely oozes nostalgia.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
55 hours in to DQ11 myself and really enjoying it. I can see people having issues with it though, something you have to be in the mood for I think.

Yeah also really looking forward to Cold Steel 3. Might pick up 1 and 2 on PS4 when they come out as you can import your PS3 save to PS4 with some kind of utility.

I really shouldn't pick up cold steel 1 and 2 for the PS4, but I want more falcom games localized so I might have to triple dip

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That 16bit mode looks pretty legit too, for those of us who have some nostalgia for the older DQ look.
i hadn't ready about that yet, just googled it, and damn that's awesome. pretty jelly i don't have a switch.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I just didn't like DQXI at all. It had parts that felt good but the difficulty swings on the hardcore mode really irritated me and necessitated grinding.

I just beat Tales of Vesperia again and I really love that game. Everything about it is just fun.

The translation mod for Zero no kiseki (Trails in zero) is about to be released too, so keep an eye if you like that series. Also Cold Steel 3 pretty soon.

I am trying to enjoy Vesperia, but I am about 40ish hours in around level 54-55 and just finished battle of zaude and I honestly cannot wait for the game to end. It took like 10 hours just to get the story moving. The endless cut scenes that add no value are obnoxious. The combat has become super tedious by this point, but luckily the computer controlled characters are powerful enough to just beat everything even if I go afk. I have explored everywhere possible, but I'm assuming most of it doesn't unlock until the game is beaten since I can't access it a lot of it. All of it adds up to being a meh experience.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I really shouldn't pick up cold steel 1 and 2 for the PS4, but I want more falcom games localized so I might have to triple dip

Yeah, god bless Xseed for their work on that front. I do what I can to support them.

I am trying to enjoy Vesperia, but I am about 40ish hours in around level 54-55 and just finished battle of zaude and I honestly cannot wait for the game to end. It took like 10 hours just to get the story moving. The endless cut scenes that add no value are obnoxious. The combat has become super tedious by this point, but luckily the computer controlled characters are powerful enough to just beat everything even if I go afk. I have explored everywhere possible, but I'm assuming most of it doesn't unlock until the game is beaten since I can't access it a lot of it. All of it adds up to being a meh experience.

I agree with this. I have never once understood why so many love Vesperia. It's got to be one of the worst modern Tales games. The story is lackluster, the action is annoying, the characters grate at my nerves, and the overall experience is just marred in boredom. And I spent countless hours trying to 1000 it on the 360 because I was in my "I must 1000 every game I play!" phase at the time so I am not making that comment offhanded. I never did, and it's a game I'd never want to touch again. Fuck, I completed Star Ocean TLH for both the 360 and PS3 and had much more fun doing that than Vesperia.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I am (slowly) playing through DQ XI as nostalgia... for DQ VIII.

Which seems weird, but 8 was 13 years before 11, AND before the FFs of the world abandoned turn based.

if DQ 12 comes out in two years, I'm going to give that a pass (I bounced hard off of Bravely Default and Octopath), but I can fit in one nostalgia trip every decade, even if I do wish it was a bit shorter - running through most of the world the second time seems like unnecessary padding, and less interesting than when FF6 did it ~25 years ago.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
...even if I do wish it was a bit shorter - running through most of the world the second time seems like unnecessary padding, and less interesting than when FF6 did it ~25 years ago.

This is really the crux for me. Modern JRPGS have really gone nuts with poorly handled exposition. All of the Persona games, though great, do this in spades. I find myself wishing the last 40 hours of these 100 hour games would just end. Some of the great RPGs of the SNES era were like 30-35 hours so I know it can be done. Hell, even the great PS1 RPGs generally maxed out around 60.

joz123

Potato del Grande
DQ11 really made me burn out on rpgs. The whole redo everything but with harder monsters thing was wearin me out.

• 1Repost

Needless

Toe Sucker
dq11 is a really hard struggle to play through lol i havent been able to finish the fortress of fear, it's soo fucking bland

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Same problem I had. Got a couple hours past the 'reset' and just ended up shipping it back to GF. Maybe I'll try again on the Switch but the thought of replaying the entire first part doesn't appeal to me much either.

ToV I've gotten only a few hours into period. The combat system is one of the worst I've ever seen in a JRPG, it's an order of magnitude worse still in portable mode, and the story isn't doing anything to push me to find out if the combat gets less shitty with levels. I've already written off Tales as a series I don't even look at when a new game comes out, guess it was a mistake to think that I'd feel any differently about ToV.

As far as JRPGs go I really wish TitS Evolution and ToCS would come to Switch. It still annoys me that I own Cold Steel 1&2 on Vita but the best versions of them are only playable on PC/PS4, and obviously 3 is not on Vita at all. I tried playing the PC version of Cold Steel 1 but even with durante's excellent port job it's a series I think is much better suited to a portable. Falcom hasn't really said much about the Switch though, aside from releasing Ys VIII on it.

The translation mod for Zero no kiseki (Trails in zero) is about to be released too, so keep an eye if you like that series.
TitS the Third Evolution English patch was just released for Vita a few days ago. There was a Zero no Kiseki translation a couple years ago for PSP but it was pretty bad/unfinished. Where did you see that about a new one? I assumed the team doing the Evo patches would just move on to ZnK Evo next and maybe in a year or so it will be playable.

I only played about 10 hours into FC Evo and stopped because I wanted to be sure they'd finish the trilogy before I committed that much time to it, but since they are done now I guess I have no excuse.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, god bless Xseed for their work on that front. I do what I can to support them.
I agree with this. I have never once understood why so many love Vesperia. It's got to be one of the worst modern Tales games. The story is lackluster, the action is annoying, the characters grate at my nerves, and the overall experience is just marred in boredom. And I spent countless hours trying to 1000 it on the 360 because I was in my "I must 1000 every game I play!" phase at the time so I am not making that comment offhanded. I never did, and it's a game I'd never want to touch again. Fuck, I completed Star Ocean TLH for both the 360 and PS3 and had much more fun doing that than Vesperia.

I beat it at the 50 hour mark and promptly uninstalled all the data off my Switch. I don't think I've invested that much time into a game and been completely disappointed all around.

Now I don't even want to start Octopath Traveler or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 since both have such mixed reviews and are apparently 50-100 hours long as well.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Octopath Traveller's negative reviews seem to have pretty different sticking points at least?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feels weird to put it out in this thread, especially since it is largely based on western CRPGs from the early/mid 90s, but this is probably the best stop.

Etrian Odyssey 6: Nexus is out for the 3ds. YES.

It's the same, you get classes from each of the 5 games, and it is glorious. If you don't pick the hardest difficulty setting you are a huge flaming faggot.

Discuss.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Nexus isn't a numbered EO, it's like Untold kinda, some sort of super finale of the series on DS/3DS before going into the next gen stuff(hopefully, they said they will but who knows for such a niche genre).

Haven't had time to play it just yet, I want a large amount of time free for that and I probably won't start until I'm done moving, but yeah looks nice. I'll probably just play the emulator version though, fuck playing on 3DS.