JRPGs

turbo

Molten Core Raider
I've struggled to hardly buy or ever complete most games especially RPG's even though they have been my favorite game for 30+ years (DW1 & FF1 LETS GO!); just everything seems too easy or not enough character customization etc, just get bored even though i want something to truly sink my teeth into.

I finally repurchased FFXII as when it came out way back in the day it was one of my favorite games and 3rd best FF game after FF3 (6) and FFT. I love the changes they have introduced, just got to pick my 2nd classes and instantly am running around trying to do shit i shouldn't be doing which is always fun. Just smoked king bomb like nothing even though i remember him ass raping once upon a time. Only gripe is they do have artifical locks behind some content strictly because you don't have access to a stupid spell/item to cure a status but fairly limited cases of that now. I'm skipping getting the top end secret uber weapons that make the game 100% snorefest but do enjoy trying to get items sooner then i should so i feel OP. Its a great balance for me and i do enjoy the story much more then most boring "hero" rpg stories. I hate scifi shit in my RPG's but they manage to infuse the technology stuff perficatly without ruining the gameing atmopshere for me.

Will be the first game i finish in a long time, to bad i have to take a break to test out Gears Tactics.

Also not sure if you can get your hands on but one of the best games I ever played was Cross Edge for PS3. Just something about it but i loved their design for fighting where battles were fairly tough on hard difficult to begin with but you had a mini game of trying to break the bosses to get the secret uber loot on top of it which require some good strategy and had a little bit of combo action during the turn based combat that kept it interesting. Very complex game on top of what seemed like a simple one, spent well over 100 hours in that one, only bitch was the NG+ true ending or whatever was really easy to fuck up and miss so i had to replay again. The post game content was great and definitely put you to the test, you had to do some grinding and have good idea of the mechanics to beat it all.

I tried doing Disgaea 5 on steam as that is a top 3 series for me but I just wish they had more story with the post game; its like 90% of your total time playing the game easily, dont need full fleshed out story but would like abit more to continue to provide challenges as you grind for 100 hours optimizing your peeps. There is some but just not enough to make me want to replay after a few years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That's awesome, I can keep going with the game. I'll keep a look out for those chests. So far this game has been well worth playing, hope Secret of Mana gets a similar 3D remake (though the fact that it already got that shoddy remake a couple years ago probably kills the possibility).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Discord is reporting that people's issues with getting ??? seeds to drop from monsters is because their Magic Pot is not level 4 yet. 100% will not drop until it is.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Intrinsic Intrinsic Ni No Kuni remastered on sale for 28.99 on the PS store if you have not played it yet. You would love it. :) Glad you liked DQ11!

I absolutely hated Ni No Kuni 1 man. Had the preorder, special edition, whatever. Got it and hated it. Can’t even remember at this point, something to do with party AI, monster capture, that annoying son of a bitch giving you tutorials 40 hours in to the game, constant clicking. All those things come flashing back.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I got the pot to 4:99 during that big demo seed farm. I figured there'd be a trophy for maxing it so I didn't go to 5. Soon as I started playing the full game, wham, planted one seed and got that trophy.

Just reached Zable-Fahr, 16 hours on the clock post-demo. Didn't expect the game to be this short, already planning out the second run.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat the game, took 18 hours post-demo. Stopped to grind a few times that were unnecessary in retrospect, so could have done it quicker. Waaaay easier than the original SFC version, even though I was playing on Hard. Party was Angela/Hawkeye/Charlotte. Hawkeye's ninja master AOEs completely shred Duran/Angela's final boss since he's got a ton of targetable parts and the AOEs automatically hit all of them. Making Charlotte a Sage was a good call too for beefed-up Sabers cast on everyone. Doing the Hawkeye/Riesz scenario next with a Hawkeye/Duran/Angela party. Duran is going to get carried so hard

Edit: Gotta love the trophy train at the end of the game

• 1Like

Malakriss

Trials of Mana JP 12.92s time trial kill (spoilered because it is the post-game boss)

Last edited:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
All of the Trails games are on sale on Steam, if anyone still needs them, I rounded out my collection.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Also not sure if you can get your hands on but one of the best games I ever played was Cross Edge for PS3. Just something about it but i loved their design for fighting where battles were fairly tough on hard difficult to begin with but you had a mini game of trying to break the bosses to get the secret uber loot on top of it which require some good strategy and had a little bit of combo action during the turn based combat that kept it interesting. Very complex game on top of what seemed like a simple one, spent well over 100 hours in that one, only bitch was the NG+ true ending or whatever was really easy to fuck up and miss so i had to replay again. The post game content was great and definitely put you to the test, you had to do some grinding and have good idea of the mechanics to beat it all.

Cross Edge was the most complicated mess in existance. And I loved it to death as well. I really, really liked the battle system, and felt that more games could do with that kind of thing. One thing I love from IF! is their love of really convoluted and complex, yet fun battle systems in their games.

I also did not like that you could not skip the animations without holding down a button. It would have been nice if that was a perm setting.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely hated Ni No Kuni 1 man. Had the preorder, special edition, whatever. Got it and hated it. Can’t even remember at this point, something to do with party AI, monster capture, that annoying son of a bitch giving you tutorials 40 hours in to the game, constant clicking. All those things come flashing back.

NNK2 is way different. I loved NNK2.

• 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ni No Kuni had what "appeared" to be an interesting battle system with the familiars, until it becomes painfully obvious that they miss half their attacks because of how the targeting works. There's a reason why everyone who has experienced it tries to get the dino familiars that "roar" (AE hit to the entire enemy team) for one of their default attacks. It bypasses the entire shitty combat system in one fell swoop. The forcing you to defend/etc stuff was good, but the familiars themselves had terrible AI and it just sucked having to plow through fights with them until the dinos.

Dinoceros.jpeg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
NNK1 had a great premise and an interesting story but absolutely failed to deliver in gameplay. The AI was garbage, they just blew mp nonstop so they might as well have been dead. The AI drove me so nuts I just got everyone Dino's for the latter half of the game. Drippy annoyed me the most though. Wow drippy we've already melted 7000 ice blocks, but yeah why don't you stop and talk to me about it before we melt this next one too.

I think the game straddled the line between being just for kids and being for everyone else and failed.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Don't forget the collision detection and the AI being too stupid to know where their own teammates were.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is anyone playing Trials of Mana on PS4? Wondering if it has couch MP so the wife and I could give it a go.

Malakriss

Is anyone playing Trials of Mana on PS4? Wondering if it has couch MP so the wife and I could give it a go.
Single player only, with 3D instead of an overhead view it wouldn't work and they said it would take too many resources to do an internet multiplayer.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well fuck that then. Sucks I really liked the original and it was godlike for couch play.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
FInished FF7 remake last night.

The Graphics and fighting were great, a bit liner for my liking based on the modern games but still pretty fun.
Really liked the ending and curious on what will happen next.

It has me on a bit of a nostalgia kick, going threw past SE games.

I noticed i have never actually played Crono Trigger and have it for PS3, going try that out next.
I saw i have Xenosaga on their as well. Good RPG fun coming my way.

FF1 and Dragon Warrior set the tone for my gaming life. Its fun to play some old SE games!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So, just finished up Berseria... my short form reaction is that the final dungeon and encounters almost ruined the entire experience for me. Absolutely hated that dungeon, the narrow winding, unending platforms, the teleporters, doors, keys, the flying enemies that chain stun. Things were going so well and I was having a lot of fun, enjoying the dark tone of the whole thing, most of the characters were really cool. Oh except Kamoana. Fuck that piece of shit little kid and any skit / scene she was in.

Overall it was very good though. I'll gripe a lot about things like the overly and needlessly complex battle system. Having to balance enemy type, elemental resistance, arte resistance, etc distracted from the fun action combat. It was tedious deciding if it was necessary to go in and manually set up my artes for every battle. Generally just stuck to a base loadout depending on enemy type in the area then boss.

But the soul gauge thing was irritating and almost certainly I overlooked something obvious. Starting with 3 or 4, blowing a soul break thing and then being at 2 and unable to do anything but thwack thwack a couple of times praying for a stun so you regenerate SG so you can then go back in to break. God forbid you have an enemy (or 7) that can instantly stun you, chain stun you, freeze you, and keep you at 1 SG so you can thwack thwack for 20 more minutes trying to stun and regain SG. And enemies that have super blocking ability. Might fire up a YouTube video or something and learn some end game loadouts. Multiple times I was up to 98 hit combos and the dire foe or boss would just "oops sorry now I'm gonna block everything" or I'd suddenly just whiff whole attack strings.

It was refreshing to have a story that was pretty dark though. Main characters don't really pull punches saying fuck all y'all I'm here for my own self and own revenge. And they do a decent job of growing them over the course and side stories. Kind of better reward than standard group coming together and saving the world with the power of friendship.

Might dink around in NG+, was totally planning on Platinuming this one too but like I said above the last finale of the game has really soured me on it. Not at the bottom of my list of Tales games, but not at the top either.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
DQ XI is $41.99 on the nintendo eShop. Might finally grab it and just add it to my backlog...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vesperia is on sale for -70% ($15) on the eShop too. Not a huge fan of it and still haven't finished it because the combat gets on my nerves, but my opinion seems to be the minority there. I can say that it's a solid port though.