JRPGs

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Pretty hyped up for this next month. Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games and my top SNES game.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
Trails series is far and away my favourite game series of all time. The world building, character development and overall plot is out of this world.
I was looking to get into these a while back before I got caught up with other titles. I currently own Cold Steel on Vita, and if I wanted the best experience from the series would that be a fine place to start? I know that the other series connects in some ways, I just don't want to play them out of order.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Pretty hyped up for this next month. Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games and my top SNES game.

Such an awesome game, I'm hyped also

Except, fucking Neko at the end of the game hiding behind the building at the Lost Continent while I was getting one shot by everything

Honestly thought I was going to have to grind to get strong enough to beat that, not knowing I could just buy some damn better armor, lol

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was looking to get into these a while back before I got caught up with other titles. I currently own Cold Steel on Vita, and if I wanted the best experience from the series would that be a fine place to start? I know that the other series connects in some ways, I just don't want to play them out of order.
Since they take place in the same time period I'd assume you could play either series first, but chronologically, Trails in the Sky was first so if there's any link between the 2(I haven't played much of it yet), then you'd want to start there. There's also the fact that Trails in the Sky is done, while Cold Steel is still ongoing, with chapter 2 coming soon and chapter 3 having been released in japan last year so doesn't even have an approximate release date yet.

All of it is on sale on PC atm on GOG, and while they're not the best sales, the first chapter at least is only 50cents more expensive than the historical low(in euros, not sure about dollars, but it's 8.50 instead of 8). Second chapter is 4euros more sadly because they're doing another 35% sale(last steam sale was the same) when they did a 50% sale last december.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

If you're talking proper chronological order:

Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails in the Sky 3rd
Zero no Kiseki (not in english) = Trails of Cold Steel
Ao no Kiseki (not in english) = Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III (not in english).

So basically, you'll want to complete the sky trilogy followed by the cold steel duology. You won't miss much not playing the Japanese only titles, but if they were in English you could play them before or after cold steel as they take part at roughly the same time period.

Though that is the chronological order, it's fine to start with Cold Steel if you have it, but you will be missing out on slight references (it's set in a different country) and obviously some of the flavour text will spoil the story from Trails in the Sky FC and SC. (3rd is kind of it's own thing).

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki were a completely different saga than Trails of Cold Steel?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I thought Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki were a completely different saga than Trails of Cold Steel?

Nah, same world but different place. Zero and Ao take place in Crossbell city which is to the East of the country Erebonia where Cold Steel takes place. Part of Cold Steel 2&3 takes places in Crossbell and you interact with some of the characters from Zero and Ao.

Trails in the Sky takes place in Liberl
Cold Steel takes place in Erebonia
Zero/Ao take place in Crossbell city.

Zemuria_Map_(Estimate).png

We still haven't been to Calvard which is probably where the next series will take place. We've seen a lot of characters from there though, and they're at an uneasy peace with Erebonia. Both of them are expansionist countries and both of them wanted to bring Crossbell into the fold.

We've heard about most of these places in passing. North Ambria was hit by a disaster where a mysterious object appeared and started turning everything into salt. That's all we really know though, we've seen parts of Leman State in Trails SC and Trails 3rd.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Its fine gshurik gshurik the series is worth sperging over.

But yah if you are going to get in to the franchise play Trails in the sky trilogy because it all takes place before the Crossbell and Erebonia games. Ao/Zero finish up some story lines from trails and playing Cold Steel from what I understand will spoil a big reveal from Skies. It really depends on if you want to use fan translations to play the Crossbell games if so I recommend playing them first because the ending of Steel 2/3 (from what I've heard) give major spoilers to the resolution of Ao/Zero. If you cant be arsed to do that much work for a game then just enjoy playing whats available in the Cold Steel set of games and hope they get english releases for Ao/Zero at some point.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I'm gonna give it a go after MHW after the effusions here. I have a Vita and a PC. I suspect you guys will tell me to go Steam, but is there a huge difference between versions? I'd rather sprawl out on the bed or the couch for a 200+ hour rpg franchise. For that reason I'llgrab the PS4 ports of Cold Steel, as they'll surely be solid.

Also I was just messing with gshurik. Love seeing enthusiasm for the genre.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I finished Trails in the Sky FC a couple weeks ago and got caught back up in WoW right after I finished. I enjoyed it, it's an old game so the gameplay is a little dated but it is a series I will definitely be finishing.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I'm gonna give it a go after MHW after the effusions here. I have a Vita and a PC. I suspect you guys will tell me to go Steam, but is there a huge difference between versions? I'd rather sprawl out on the bed or the couch for a 200+ hour rpg franchise. For that reason I'llgrab the PS4 ports of Cold Steel, as they'll surely be solid.

Also I was just messing with gshurik. Love seeing enthusiasm for the genre.

I would play trails in the sky on the pc version, I still was sprawled out on the bed with a controller and had it on my tv though. Then like you said you could just get the Cold Steel games on PS4. If you want to go the Ao/Zero route though you will have to get them on pc for ease of fan translation usage.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Cold Steel II is coming out on PC on the 14th of February.

Can't wait to play this again on the PC.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not sure if it counts but I started.pokemon Omega Ruby after BD. I was torn between than and xenoblade chronicles 1, but I needed something lighter after spending 72 hours in BD.

Very kiddy.. hopefully I enjoy it.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I grabbed a couple JRPG's maybe someone can convince me to actually lay them.

I Got Persona 5 and i'm near the end of the first castle, Gotta say I'm not in love with the combat system so far. I feel like FF X ( I just played the remaster a year ago) still has the best Jrpg traditional turn based combat system I have ever seen. Can someone give me a bit of motivation, tell me it gets better ect..? I spent 30 bucks on this game I really wanna actually finish it.

Other game I got is Dragon's Dogma, I don't know much about this but I plan to start in the next day or two. Even watching a video r two I feel like I don't really understand the combat too well.. Maybe i'll ffinish the surge first before moving on to this.