Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
Bunch of family saw this today, it was really fun. Pretty safe humor, a few PG13 moments but no nudity or hard profanity, more some potty humor about dicks. Really funny, Rock is great but I was surprised but how funny Jack Black and Kevin Hart were, both of whom I usually don't like. The red headed chick was awesome and really great way to spend the 90 mins looking at. Everyone enjoyed it, even the women, probably due to The Rock and the "awwww" type of moments. Definitely worth a watch and in theaters, nothing crazy visuals wise but it looked decent for the most part, a few cheap-ish sets and meh CGI animals but the humor and action are great.

Sevens

Log Wizard
Bunch of family saw this today, it was really fun. Pretty safe humor, a few PG13 moments but no nudity or hard profanity, more some potty humor about dicks. Really funny, Rock is great but I was surprised but how funny Jack Black and Kevin Hart were, both of whom I usually don't like. The red headed chick was awesome and really great way to spend the 90 mins looking at. Everyone enjoyed it, even the women, probably due to The Rock and the "awwww" type of moments. Definitely worth a watch and in theaters, nothing crazy visuals wise but it looked decent for the most part, a few cheap-ish sets and meh CGI animals but the humor and action are great.
The Red haired chick is Karen Gillan...played Nebula (the crazy blue bald chick) in Guardians of the Galaxy, also she was Amy Pond on Doctor Who for a few seasons...Her and Rory were the best companions ever.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not the TLJ palette cleanser we need but its the TLJ cleanser we have. Jack Black is hilarious and its got a redhead.

Hit the fucking theaters.

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
Caught this on $5 day and man it was pretty darn funny. It is the first remake that was better than the original. And yes Jack Black deserves some kind of award for that role he nailed it out of the park.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
I haven't seen the original since i was a kid but i got the idea that Jumanji was a lot "darker" place than the jungle we saw. that could be my perception being colored by when i watched the movie, or because Alan Parrish described it from his perspective and had been there since he was a kid.

I enjoyed this, had some good laughs but i think i liked the original better. Once again this may be because its been 20 years since i saw the original.

Siliconemelons

The the orig jumanji was dark and the entire point was that it was TRYING to kill you IRL as horrifically as it could and the constant fear and terror drove Mrs doubtfire insane.

I never like the first movie bc it was billed somewhat as a kids light hearted funny movie- but to me, was not.

This looks like lulz- and the threat of anything can kill you is not really there- I.E the hippo eating the dude

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
yea i would have rather had a darker approach of the jungle actively trying to kill you. You can still have the random humor but Jumanji should have been a more dangerous place.

Since Jumanji just recently (1996) turned itself into a video game, does that mean when Alan was in the game he only had 1 life and didn't have the "skills" etc that the other PCs had? since they added the "alan parrish was here" Im just basing this off of it being the same universe and not a complete reboot. but then again they probably just added that as a nod to Robin Williams and nothing more. probably best to forget the first one existed when watching this one.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Jack Black definitely stole the show. Really enjoyed it for a fun popcorn movie.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
I'm glad they didn't go too dark, way too many goddamn dark movies in the past few years, need some light fare for kids and adults to enjoy.

Jumanji is extremely powerful since it can alter time backwards and forwards as it needs, probably best not to think too much about it. But yeah, I'd assume the character from the first movie only had one life, built up the place with his mind, eventually escaped. More interestingly I'd say the first iteration was very dark and grim because Alan was dark, and after he left the new kid who got in (via video game) altered it to be a tad lighter and more 90s video game-y since thats what he grew up with.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Ladro

Anomaly
Good popcorn movie with some good laughs. A bit cheesy at times but it fits with the theme. Jack Black was the best character by far, but I always think Dwayne Johnson is funny as hell in these kind of movies, simply because he doesn't take himself seriously and readily makes fun of himself. The smoldering intensity bit was hilarious.

I want to do dirty things to Ruby Roundhouse...

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Only 1 mosquito that bit Alex? C'mon, its a jungle!
It's a video game, up to that point he had been diligently using his "a citronella candle" to ward them off. If you use the item at the correct time in a game like that, it is 100% effective. He forgot to re-use it when he got to a new zone that he had never been to before.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw this last night with my girlfriend and loved pretty much every minute of it. I didn't realize the extent they were going to take the video game shtick but seeing Kevin Hart's strength/weaknesses was hilarious.

One thing that never seem's to fade is those damned jungle drums though, I remember seeing the original and feeling nervous and scared of those drums as a kid. This one brought back a lot of that with them.

Definitely worth the price of admission

• 1Solidarity

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
Saw this today with my wife, sister and daughter. I though it was decent, the women liked it more than I though. Jack Black is the highlight of the movie by far and Karen Gillian is smoking hot. She showed some acting chops too (the kissing scene with the Rock and her seduction scene with the guards are hilarious). Went to an afternoon showing that had about 5 seats left open. I was very surprised at how full it was.

• 2Solidarity

Rime

<Donor>
Thoroughly enjoyed this. Would give it an easy 80/85 out of 100. Jack Black steals the show whenever he is on the screen and the Rock has great comedy chops.

• 2Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Brother visiting this weekend so we went and saw it, still holds up great on second viewing and I really enjoyed every minute. Its crazy to think this is probably the best video game movie ever made, and its not even a real video game. It flows exactly like a video game though.

Movie is still kicking ass at the box office, taking in #1 this weekend and also opening in china with a crazy $40m opening weekend. Its at $667m worldwide, hasn't opened in Japan yet, and nothing seems like its gonna slow it down until Black Panther a month away.

• 1Solidarity