Jungle Cruise (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
Had a big family movie night and invited a few kids, I have a big theater room and everyone enjoyed it. Maybe a bit too long clocking in at 2 hours but only 1-2 scenes dragged. Rock and Emily Blunt were good, they don't have that much chemistry but they make a good swashbuckling pair.

Its pretty much Pirates of the Caribbean with a splash of Mummy tossed in. While those movies are 70% action dude and 30% smart capable female, this movie is more 70% smart capable female and 30% action dude. The story kind of zooms all over the place, could have used maybe one or two less things and more deeper exploration of some backstory. Jessie Plemmons (Todd from Breaking Bad) is the bad guy, a 1916 german villain of course, and does a good job. Emily Blunt's character is pretty much a carbon copy of Evie from The Mummy, and she even has her dumb brother sidekick (who is now gay! but its only mentioned once)

CGI is sorta all over the place, some great stuff and some really awful stuff. The budget is $200m+ so thats NUTS. Its gonna bomb pretty bad in theaters I'm fairly certain, and I doubt it'll do the sort of D+ $30 numbers that Black Widow did.

Its NOT as good as pirates of the carribean, but if that movie is a 7.5/10 this is a pretty solid 6/10. That movie had a fantastic cast and a gem of a villain and a tight plot, this muddles along with a B-tier cast, a mostly messy story, but a nice and fun setting. It is formulaic as hell but nothing wrong with that, imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Never thought I'd see the day when I'd hear a Metallica song as the opening for a Disney movie.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Watching it now and wow is this dumb and cheesy.
Haven't watched it yet, but that's essentially what the ride is. It's literally just bad puns and dad jokes.

It's not really even a ride. That's why it depends so heavily on the Disney employee who's driving the boat. If they suck, the ride sucks. If they're good, the ride is hilarious.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Haven't watched it yet, but that's essentially what the ride is. It's literally just bad puns and dad jokes.

It's not really even a ride. That's why it depends so heavily on the Disney employee who's driving the boat. If they suck, the ride sucks. If they're good, the ride is hilarious.
I love the ride. Was one of my favorites as a kid. They definitely use every corny joke from the ride in the movie. But the movie was just awful. It was all over the place. The CGI wasn’t good. They Rock and Blunt’s romance was so forced and out of no where. I don’t know how someone green lit this storyline. The comparison to Pirates is pretty spot on.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
The Rock really doesn't have that many great movies. Hell, I think The Rundown is my favorite Rock movie and that was like his first. This movie was just ok I guess. Mainly for action and cgi stuff though. This was definitely a phone in role for everyone involved. This is definitely not gonna spawn a PotC type franchise for sure.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The Rock really doesn't have that many great movies. Hell, I think The Rundown is my favorite Rock movie and that was like his first. This movie was just ok I guess. Mainly for action and cgi stuff though. This was definitely a phone in role for everyone involved. This is definitely not gonna spawn a PotC type franchise for sure.
I always though The Rock would pick up the action hero torch from Schwarzenegger, but never really delivered.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
All those writers from the 80s/90s retired or died and there was no one to replace them.

plus you arent allowed to make macho grab em by the pussy action movies anymore like the Arnold movies of old

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

Its probably the shift to CGI, that keeps The Rock from being as "big" as Arnold. The focus is off the actor, and onto digital spectacle.

Technically, he's made more money though. so, in many ways, he is a bigger star.

Goatface

i liked it, but it did suffer by having a lot of 3d shots in it. which i thought was about dead. checked my local megaplex, 13 2d showing to 2 in 3d. big independent place = 10 2d to 2 3d, amc = 6 2d 0 3d.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Its probably the shift to CGI, that keeps The Rock from being as "big" as Arnold. The focus is off the actor, and onto digital spectacle.

Technically, he's made more money though. so, in many ways, he is a bigger star.

The money argument is always terrible though. Arnold went from a guy who could barely speak English to an action star that people went to a movie specifically because he was in it. I don't think you can say that about Johnson and that's one reason he sticks to ensemble and family movies. The guy knows he can't carry a movie just as much as everyone else does.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The money argument is always terrible though. Arnold went from a guy who could barely speak English to an action star that people went to a movie specifically because he was in it. I don't think you can say that about Johnson and that's one reason he sticks to ensemble and family movies. The guy knows he can't carry a movie just as much as everyone else does.
i'm not a Rock fan. i think he's ok, but he can carry a minor movie. i thought he was fine in Doom and Walking Tall.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Never thought I'd see the day when I'd hear a Metallica song as the opening for a Disney movie.
This bothers me more than I can understand. I know they like money as much as anyone but .....wtf! And it had zero bearing on the movie at all. It started and I was like 'what the fuck!' after 2 cords....

Also , movie was meh.

• 1Solidarity

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Still waiting on a single movie with him that will be worth having (in contrast to Arnold), such a waste :(.

Sterling

El Presidente
he's fine, but those 80s style action movies just aren't really a thing now.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
he's just not that memorable. when you say Arnold. you think of Terminator, Conan, Predator, Total Recall and Commando. when you say The Rock, you think of his wrestling career and what movie?

Goatface

was looking at his films, his biggest solo leads (ones i consider his movie, some not sure about like witch mountain, and other i have not seen)
San Andreas
Rampage
Skyscraper
Hercules
The Game Plan

always thought skyscraper was a bomb, but appears china/foreign saved it. Is Faster his most gritty action movie? been a decade but remember it was ok.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
was looking at his films, his biggest solo leads (ones i consider his movie, some not sure about like witch mountain, and other i have not seen)
San Andreas
Rampage
Skyscraper
Hercules
The Game Plan

always thought skyscraper was a bomb, but appears china/foreign saved it. Is Faster his most gritty action movie? been a decade but remember it was ok.
How can you forget Scorpion King?!?!?!

• 2Worf