Jungle Cruise (2020)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its probably the shift to CGI, that keeps The Rock from being as "big" as Arnold. The focus is off the actor, and onto digital spectacle.

Technically, he's made more money though. so, in many ways, he is a bigger star.
The money argument is always terrible though. Arnold went from a guy who could barely speak English to an action star that people went to a movie specifically because he was in it. I don't think you can say that about Johnson and that's one reason he sticks to ensemble and family movies. The guy knows he can't carry a movie just as much as everyone else does.

Not only that but most Arnold movies were rated R, and probably almost all Rock movies are rated G. No shit he grosses more, all he does is churn out movie bait for families with kids. Rated G movies always made more money than the ones rated R

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The money argument is always terrible though.
Not just that but of course The Rock is going to have more money. Larger audience thanks to much larger population + more revenue streams.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The Rocks best role was in Ballers. He was money as Spencer Strasmore.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
This was like The Mummy through the lens of Pirates of the Caribbean, and not nearly as good as either. The CGI was really distracting at times.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
was looking at his films, his biggest solo leads (ones i consider his movie, some not sure about like witch mountain, and other i have not seen)
San Andreas
Rampage
Skyscraper
Hercules
The Game Plan

always thought skyscraper was a bomb, but appears china/foreign saved it. Is Faster his most gritty action movie? been a decade but remember it was ok.
Faster is a fucking great movie, and I re-watch it periodically when I can't think of anything else to watch.

Granted, The Rock's acting only varies from Pissed Off to Really Pissed Off and that's it. But he's fantastic at it. And Billy Bob Thornton does a great job, which helps the movie a lot.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
he worked in jumani 1 really well but thats probably mostly due to jack black and kevin hart and the smoking hot redhead who also plays nebula

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The Rock in The Jungle is its own cinematic universe now, like half of his movies have taken place in the jungle

image.jpg

The Rundown has got to be his best jungle movie imo; although, I think Sean William Scott made that movie more than he did. All hail El Gato.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
This was an ok movie, but 0% originality. It flat out Xeroxes from other films while adding nothing of its own.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
he's just not that memorable. when you say Arnold. you think of Terminator, Conan, Predator, Total Recall and Commando. when you say The Rock, you think of his wrestling career and what movie?
Moana

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We watched half of it last night. Kid was falling asleep midway through, even through the scary (for a 6 year old) conquistador scenes. He didn’t ask to finish it, not sure if we will unless he asks. Wife and I thought it was boring.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Rundown is by far his best movie. The cast was what made it great. Christopher Walken played a great villain.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Rundown is by far his best movie. The cast was what made it great. Christopher Walken played a great villain.
Can't believe I forgot about Walken in that movie. Fantastic actor.

The only actor who has blown me away with what I would call acting skills is Anthony Starr. I didn't even realize that Homelander was played by the same guy that was Sheriff Hood in Banshee until the second season on The Boys. To me that's acting. Only being able to see the character instead of the guy/gal behind it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Watched it tonight. It wasn't bad necessarily, just not very good either. It really dragged with a 2 hour run time.

The Mouse seems to be in a rut of uninspired, boring movies.

Raya
Cruella
Luca
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise

Could probably throw Mulan in there too, but Soul was released between it and Raya. I actually didn't love Soul as I felt like it was a massive cop out, but a lot of you all seemed to like it.

I don't know that I'd call any of them bad movies. They're just super formulaic and super bland (outside of the visuals, which they all seemed to do well at). They took a bunch of really imaginative worlds and did almost nothing remarkable with them.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Watched it tonight. It wasn't bad necessarily, just not very good either. It really dragged with a 2 hour run time.

Raya
Cruella
Luca
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise

Could probably throw Mulan in there too, but Soul was released between it and Raya. I actually didn't love Soul as I felt like it was a massive cop out, but a lot of you all seemed to like it.

I don't know that I'd call any of them bad movies. They're just super formulaic and super bland (outside of the visuals, which they all seemed to do well at). They took a bunch of really imaginative worlds and did almost nothing remarkable with them.
They're in the "Broke" phase of the famous formulation. Nothing on that list is original, or inspired, or has a point. It's all representation (the whole list) or pure money grab (Jungle Cruise). I haven't seen it but it seems like Pirates of the Caribbean redux with "bankable" stars. Even "sure thing" movies need to have a vision, though, or they will fall flat.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Raya is prolly the best thing they have put out in the last couple years imo. I never made it all the way through Soul

• 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Raya
Cruella
Luca
Black Widow
Jungle Cruise

there are at least 3 reasons to watch Pixar movies, one for the groundbreaking animation, 2 for the entertaining story and 3 for the underlying message/theme. #1 is a given, #2 is there most of the time and #3 sometimes the underlying message is stupid. Soul had #1 and #3, but lacked in #2, entertaining story. its not a riveting thrill ride, it doesnt make you relate to the characters very well. but its got a lot of heart with the message, "make the most of your life while you have time to do it." i thought it was enough to like this movie a lot. on the flip side. Wall-E is one of my favorite Pixar movies and it also only has 2 reasons to like it. increible animation and an entertaining story. the underlying message of "dont pollute, save the planet" is so in your face, you feel like saying, "duh, no shit." incredible movie though.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob

and so begins The Disney Parks Cinematic Universe, aka DPCU

in a few movies we'll have a pirates of the carribean, jungle cruise, splash and space mountain crossover and we'll call it The Action Figures

• 1Like