Justice League (2017)

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why was the Flash Sheldon from Big Bang Theory.
This is the key to all of this.

Comic Books are a VERY niche nerdy thing, even more so for Millenials since we all grew up after their prime, even more so outside of North America where we only got shitty compilations not widely sold. Nobody knows who the fuck any of these characters are.

I have never read a comic book in my life, this is my experience:
Older people (my parents) know Batman, Wonder Woman and Hulk from their 70s/80s TV shows, and of course the 80s and 90s Superman and Batman movies.
Younger people (like me) know Batman, Superman, X-Men and Spiderman (maybe others) from their 90s TV shows/cartoons - then the 00s movies they all had.

So you basically had about 5 superheros in mainstream culture and one team.

MCU has been a slow burn and built up it's following over nearly 10 years to the point that it's now mainstream, I only hopped on board myself 3 or 4 years ago after randomly seeing Iron Man and Avengers 1 on TV.

The Flash has also been slowly building mainstream awareness over the last 10 years. On Big Bang Theory, because Sheldon mentions him frequently. That's why Flash is Sheldon, it's the only thing we know about him. It's also why Aquaman is Khal Drogo, because all we know about Aquaman is that he was a joke on Family Guy, South Park and Big Bang Theory. They had to totally redesign him (and visually did an excellent job - I'm not paying to see this movie).

It's crazy really, how can you fuck up Superman and Batman with their decades of mainstream cultural awareness??? It's mind boggling.

Last edited:

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not sure about that. RDJ wasnt unknown and having a reasonable post-90s comeback since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Tropic Thunder, the Soloist, etc.. were alsomostly filmed before IM1 hit theatres. Nothing to make him the world’s best paid actor by miles, but not so different from non-Comic Book Affleck not quite 10 years later. Some surprise hits, some stinkers, but generally a name people would recognize.

Also brought on Samuel Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ed Norten (all a lot bigger 10 years ago), Jeff Bridges, Anthony Hopkins, etc.. more recently Cumberbatch and quite some casting for admittedly more one-off roles (Redford, Michael Douglas, Blanchett, etc..). Vin Diesel also was in the top 10 best-paid actors before they hired him to voice essentially a single line, because why not?

More importantly, I think Marvel is willing to cut out things that dont work (while keeping the things that did work around a bit too long, arguably, thus sometimes feeling formulaic). Ed Norton Hulk no good? Bye. Cap. America 1 a bit boring, complete new team and style a go. Same for Thor, etc...

DC just clings to the stuff that largely didnt work (mostly Snyder I guess, or his writers, dunno).

Its like an alternative universe where Marvel would’ve insisted in hanging the entire MCU on Ed Norten & his crew and the style of that movie, consequences be damned.

RDJ though had a history that made him a risk. He's also their tent pole, he was the first shot and they built the entire thing around him. He's in a pretty unique position. The rest of the big actors you listed are minor parts overall--and could (And have been) easily written out. They haven't tied themselves to major principles they didn't develop outside of really Scar Jo, and RDJ--but RDJ is and pretty unique thing. (And Samuel L...lets face it, he's not exactly a discerning actor in terms of role selection and getting him there...Also, he's a side character.)

Also, yeah I'd agree Marvel is willing to change directions. They are also willing to let directors compete it seems like, but they seem to have a good balance of telling people to fuck off that aren't working for them.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Just because you know a character, doesn't mean you care about them. LOTS of people know who Jesus is, but not so many want to watch a movie about him.

Mel Gibson would disagree with this. That jew hating mamma jamma make like a billion dollars of 2 hours of Jesus beating.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I said not everyone. And even if you want to make a big deal out of passion of the christ or the 10 commandments, those are outliers. How many Christian films come out each year? How many are successful?

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I said not everyone. And even if you want to make a big deal out of passion of the christ or the 10 commandments, those are outliers. How many Christian films come out each year? How many are successful?

Are we counting the Original Matrix trilogy?
matrix-jesus.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Depends on what you mean by successful. The majority of them follow the same model as horror movies. They're made with a relatively small, tightly controlled budget and pull in a big chunk of their targeted demographic out of genre loyalty. And they're usually profitable as a result. That's why, year in and year out, you see so many shitty little horror movies during the dead zone months.

One opened just this week alongside Justice League, an animated feature The Star. It opened with just under $15 million but only cost $20 million to make. Start asking studio execs would they settle for their movies to make 75% of their production budget domestically on opening week and see how many say "yes". I know those at WB would.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
As awesome as that is, this is why Justice League is silly.

No Marvel hero has been shown dominating like that, some are more powerful than others but they have all been shown capable of putting up a fight.

The question is always "but why doesn't another hero come to help?", Marvel is answering this by saying "another hero WOULD help, here's Black Widow in Cap2, here's Iron Man in Spiderman". How does DC answer that question?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Holy shit that gif looks awful. It took me till the second loop to realize that was Superman. His face looks awful.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sevens

Log Wizard
Havent seen this shit show, will HBO it
The biggest difference between Marvel and DC is Kevin Feige. He is 100% in charge of the Marvel Movies, he has a plan and he does what ever is needed to see that plan through. DC on the other hand is making movies by committee, there are just way to many chef spoiling the stew. Is that actor not working out? Bye. Is that director not playing within our sandbox? See ya later...The Vision is what is important.

Xerge

<Donor>
Flash made the movie for me; even though Ezra acted out a weak Kid Flash or Impulse. This scene in particular had me grinning like a fool; basically two gods cross eyes. WB really should have capitalized on Flash or Batman solo films first. These two characters can build up a justice league very well. Thank fuck for the Flash's Flashpoint movie because it'll give WB the green light opportunity to change anything in the DCEU as they see fit.

All in all as a fan 6.5/10, watch it high as fuck and you'll be OK. (Also there's a decent quality cam floating around now if anyone is curious)

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Holy shit that gif looks awful. It took me till the second loop to realize that was Superman. His face looks awful.

His face was CGed to remove his facial hair as he was shooting another movie when they called for all the scene reshoots. Totally agree, and it's a damn shame.
Still better than whatever they were planning on releasing I bet.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This is the key to all of this.

Comic Books are a VERY niche nerdy thing, even more so for Millenials since we all grew up after their prime, even more so outside of North America where we only got shitty compilations not widely sold. Nobody knows who the fuck any of these characters are.

I have never read a comic book in my life, this is my experience:
Older people (my parents) know Batman, Wonder Woman and Hulk from their 70s/80s TV shows, and of course the 80s and 90s Superman and Batman movies.
Younger people (like me) know Batman, Superman, X-Men and Spiderman (maybe others) from their 90s TV shows/cartoons - then the 00s movies they all had.

So you basically had about 5 superheros in mainstream culture and one team.

MCU has been a slow burn and built up it's following over nearly 10 years to the point that it's now mainstream, I only hopped on board myself 3 or 4 years ago after randomly seeing Iron Man and Avengers 1 on TV.

The Flash has also been slowly building mainstream awareness over the last 10 years. On Big Bang Theory, because Sheldon mentions him frequently. That's why Flash is Sheldon, it's the only thing we know about him. It's also why Aquaman is Khal Drogo, because all we know about Aquaman is that he was a joke on Family Guy, South Park and Big Bang Theory. They had to totally redesign him (and visually did an excellent job - I'm not paying to see this movie).

It's crazy really, how can you fuck up Superman and Batman with their decades of mainstream cultural awareness??? It's mind boggling.

And we all know Thor from Adventures in Babysitting :)

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
As awesome as that is, this is why Justice League is silly.

No Marvel hero has been shown dominating like that, some are more powerful than others but they have all been shown capable of putting up a fight.

The question is always "but why doesn't another hero come to help?", Marvel is answering this by saying "another hero WOULD help, here's Black Widow in Cap2, here's Iron Man in Spiderman". How does DC answer that question?

Agree!

WW is a god. Superman is just a kryptonian. Why is he so much OP than WW? BULLSHIT! :)

Also, the thing that bothers me about Flash/Quicksilver etc, is they move so fast, and how they can see action in slow-mo, they should NEVER get hit and should NEVER have anything bad happen to them, bc they should see these attacks telegraphed for miles. But they still get hit by non fast people.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Agree!

WW is a god. Superman is just a kryptonian. Why is he so much OP than WW? BULLSHIT! :)

Also, the thing that bothers me about Flash/Quicksilver etc, is they move so fast, and how they can see action in slow-mo, they should NEVER get hit and should NEVER have anything bad happen to them, bc they should see these attacks telegraphed for miles. But they still get hit by non fast people.
That's why MCU Quicksilver was so good, he visually got tired and couldn't do it as much anymore. Then they killed him off because the power is OP.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

They don't have any qualms about playing around with the power level of characters at Marvel. I think if Quicksilver hadn't already been a part of the X-Men movies he'd still be alive in the MCU. He had already been used to great effect in DOFP by the time he showed up in AoU. Keeping him around would have created too much additional similarity between the two properties. His death would also add a sense of loss for the movie and, let's be honest, the MCU doesn't loose it's heroes very often, not permanently. Quicksilver's death makes the potential for anyone dying moving forward seem more in the realm of possibility than otherwise.

Royal

It didn't stay a story for very long but a website reported yesterday that Whedon would no longer be doing the Batgirl movie. Some other sites reported that was false and the original site took down their story saying that WB had asked them to in order to prepare an official, more complete statement. Supposedly it has to do with the allegations his ex-wife made a while back about him cheating on her numerous times.

He'll probably get moved to something else that doesn't involve a singular female lead. Batgirl has never moved beyond the development phase anyway.

• 1Worf

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm
His face was CGed to remove his facial hair as he was shooting another movie when they called for all the scene reshoots.
Is there a reason why he couldn't just use a fake mustache in the other film? I mean it would have had to look better than the CGI job they did.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users