Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
My iron production is actually keeping up just fine now. The biggest issue I was having was not enough lighting around that whole setup. Production picked up a lot once I lit that whole area. Also, I was cranking about just about every iron-based item at the same time, so production wasn't really keeping up. Now that all my chests/par levels are full, it's a non issue. I think I have enough chests for 500 steel bars and that's what I've been using for money since they stack really well.

I'll take a look at the dustwich stuff. I thought chewsticks were the only food I could make that only required cactus and water, so I was opting to just keep it simple. I did already drop food barrels all over the base, though. Regarding the med crates - My guys don't seem to pick up bandages to make sure they always have one on hand. Is that the way it's supposed to work? They just go grab a bandage if someone goes down and they need it, instead of making sure they always have one ready?

I set up a training room where I put all my new hires in a "War Boys" squad and have them training everything in there up to max before coming out. I need to work on getting everyone outfitted with the best armor and weapons I can make (I think I'm up to 40 people now because I went on a hiring spree last night). Other than that, I think everything else I need to do is locked behind advancing research (or finding a fucking merchant that sells tools, which has been the main reason for all my exploring last night).

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dustwiches require bread, so you'll need to set up that production. Wheatstraw grows like shit in the arid areas, but with large enough fields and high enough skill you'll be able to generate enough while your extra cactus turns into chewsticks in the meantime.
For the tools thing, you will typically find those inside of the ancient ruins; maybe not in the ancient libraries so much, but in ancient armories/barracks/etc. Also you don't need skill -at- the level it says to pick something; I think you can be pretty substantially lower, it just gives you a really shitty chance to actually pick the lock. Which is good, because each attempt will raise your lockpicking skill a lot until you succeed. I think once you get to 50 lockpicking, you are never too low to attempt. My ninja indiana jones character that collects my research materials in one of my older saves only has 69 lockpicking and can (and has) picked everything in the game; only needed tools while I was in the early game to break into the few harder chests I ran across in out of the way places.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea, I think that's a good idea. I'll try setting up some wheat fields just to have a little bread, with the rest going to chewsticks.

Speaking of "Required Skill"....I have 2 guys with crossbows that both say "Required Skill: 80". I thought that's why they would never shoot the crossbows, but I just realized yesterday that I had the wrong kind of bolts in there and they started using the crossbows after I gave them the right ones. So what the hell is required skill attribute for on the weapons?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That sounds like Eagle's Cross xbows hah; it's more that I think you sort of peak at that skill level, with anything higher being negligible, and lower meaning less accuracy/etc. It's not so much a requirement as much as a recommendation. I will say though, if you take the heavy/eagle's cross bows and fire into melee with your dudes fighting, you might be in for some real sad times unless Precision is high on them already. In one of my earlier playthroughs I literally decapitated one of my better skilled guys because I took some newbs and gave them Eagle's Crosses. I think my xbow team did more damage to my melee fighters than the entire enemy force; it's that bad sometimes.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That sounds like Eagle's Cross xbows hah; it's more that I think you sort of peak at that skill level, with anything higher being negligible, and lower meaning less accuracy/etc. It's not so much a requirement as much as a recommendation. I will say though, if you take the heavy/eagle's cross bows and fire into melee with your dudes fighting, you might be in for some real sad times unless Precision is high on them already. In one of my earlier playthroughs I literally decapitated one of my better skilled guys because I took some newbs and gave them Eagle's Crosses. I think my xbow team did more damage to my melee fighters than the entire enemy force; it's that bad sometimes.
Lol, same here. RIP Austrin, shiny & chrome.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I lost Beep in my lastest playthrough. And I don't even know when or where. I was forming up a squad to go on an expedition up to the floodlands and noticed he was missing.

base is in foglands/dreg border. constant fog attacks. do they grab hivers? I've had to do a couple marches to save others, as the wall was still under construction. at one point, I made an expedition that went exploring the coast, up to Raptor island. after scoping out the mega raptor and deciding nope, but fighting some regular raptors, I went back to land, and the nomads.. but, its cannibal territory too. so, trying to camp and rest up from the raptors, was under constant attack from cannibals. first 100 no problem.. but damage starts to add up at the 300th.. had to leave the area while still less then 100%.

I'm not actually even sure I had Beep when I went on that expo though.. I don't know when he vanished.. That expo is the most likely scenario... but, I'm not sure if he was gone before then. or, if he made it back, and vanished later. could it have been a bug? not sure how I would have even missed the warnings, on death.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I lost Beep in my lastest playthrough. And I don't even know when or where. I was forming up a squad to go on an expedition up to the floodlands and noticed he was missing.

base is in foglands/dreg border. constant fog attacks. do they grab hivers? I've had to do a couple marches to save others, as the wall was still under construction. at one point, I made an expedition that went exploring the coast, up to Raptor island. after scoping out the mega raptor and deciding nope, but fighting some regular raptors, I went back to land, and the nomads.. but, its cannibal territory too. so, trying to camp and rest up from the raptors, was under constant attack from cannibals. first 100 no problem.. but damage starts to add up at the 300th.. had to leave the area while still less then 100%.

I'm not actually even sure I had Beep when I went on that expo though.. I don't know when he vanished.. That expo is the most likely scenario... but, I'm not sure if he was gone before then. or, if he made it back, and vanished later. could it have been a bug? not sure how I would have even missed the warnings, on death.
Scrap that whole game then. Losing Beep is the only actual lose condition in the entire game

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The one guy I have with a 0.80 modifier to armor and weapon smithing is the guy I've been training up to do both this whole time. Godamnitt

• 1WTF

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Scrap that whole game then. Losing Beep is the only actual lose condition in the entire game
My first real playthrough I had no idea who beep was or what the fog islands were about. I had a rescued "holy nation escaped slave" as a party member. She didn't look like a slave anymore but I needed more books for research so I sent her to Stack with my bonedog for protection.

On her way through the city some Holy Nation dudes stop her and start asking some annoying questions. I thought... you know what, she probably would tell these ass holes to fuck off being a former slave and all. So I did. And then had to run away in the opposite direction from the Hub.

I decided... huh there is a town called Mongrel just north of here, let's go check that out.

I start running there and run into a second Holy Nation patrol. I keep going and figure, "I know, I'll lose em in the fog."

That's when things got creepy.

I start hearing screams in the fog, and Wreeeeeee noises? I go check it out and nope the fuck out once I see what's up. But I got too close and end up getting chased by a huge group of angry blue buggers.

Once I get to Mongrel the entire city is already under massive attack and I just added a lot more fuel.

In the middle of all this chaos a lone hiver keeps following me around saying random shit.

After what I just saw I didn't want to talk to anymore buggers.

And that was the last I saw of the little guy. Best I could figure, Beep got killed in the attack that had fogmen attacking all the way up to the shops.

He's part of my current playthrough though, already lost his two left limbs.

Caliane

My first real playthrough I had no idea who beep was or what the fog islands were about. I had a rescued "holy nation escaped slave" as a party member. She didn't look like a slave anymore but I needed more books for research so I sent her to Stack with my bonedog for protection.

On her way through the city some Holy Nation dudes stop her and start asking some annoying questions. I thought... you know what, she probably would tell these ass holes to fuck off being a former slave and all. So I did. And then had to run away in the opposite direction from the Hub.

I decided... huh there is a town called Mongrel just north of here, let's go check that out.

I start running there and run into a second Holy Nation patrol. I keep going and figure, "I know, I'll lose em in the fog."

I start hearing screams in the fog, and Wreeeeeee noises? I go check it out and nope the fuck out once I see what's up. But I got too close and end up getting chased by a huge group of angry blue buggers.

Once I get to Mongrel the entire city is already under massive attack and I just added a lot more fuel.

In the middle of all this chaos a lone hiver keeps following me around saying random shit.

And that was the last I saw of the little guy. Best I could figure, Beep got killed in the attack that had fogmen attacking all the way up to the shops.

Glorious evolution.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>

The game is so good at setting things up like that where the setting and ai create their own stories for you on the spot

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I did another 1am night because it took me like 3 hours to get down to the ancient ruins in The Grid and then get back to my base at the north end of the Border Zone. That was pretty damn rough and I only got like 5 books out of the thing.

Why the hell do beak things drop my guys so hard? It looks like their stats are lower than a lot of the humanoids I've been crushing, but those beak things just fucking flatten people. Am I supposed to be using a plate helmet or something to fight them?

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Beak things are pain elementals.

They do an aoe attack where the beak comes down. Have a heavy armor user with taunt and block on, approach first. Then cluster the rest of your gang and attack from the back or side. This should let you get a decent number of hits in before getting attacked.

This is also where the micro management in combat begins. Some people think it's cheating. I tend to avoid it unless things are really bad. But if you run in attack and then run out you can keep that beak thing spinning and avoid the majority of damage for the squishy people.

Head chest stomach are the important areas to keep protected if you want to remain conscious.

Beware the larger ones though. They are really scary.

And also large packs can get bad.

If you are fighting a horde of animals. Be sure to loot them mid fight. Just pull a piece of meat or hide off, put it in your inventory and then keep it, dump it or put it back on the carcass. This will kill the animal instantly so they don't keep getting up.

• 1Solidarity

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is there any way at all to set up automatic trade routes, since the store apparently doesn't work for shit? Can I have 1 guy running back and forth between a certain type of storage and a shopkeeper? If not, is there a mod that does that successfully?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have they added features or mods to make a sort of capital city? I'm trying to convince myself to play again but want to do something other than what I did when it came out. I made a cool base but not really a city with NPCs living in the walls, an economy, farmers etc etc. I'd really love to make my own faction.

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

I don't think so.
check current mods though.

shop counters work slightly better in prefab towns... but even thats limited, as the npcs in towns have only a preset amount of cash. when it runs out.. no longer shop.

one of my mods spawns tourists that will trade with your town..

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If I recruit everybody available in a bar, will new recruits eventually show up again or is that place going to be empty the rest of the game?

Caliane

default don't respawn.

you can force the random ones to respawn via save>import. which saves you stats, but then imports it to a fresh world.

you can get more recruits via default game via freeing slaves. every slave you free has a chance of asking to join.
Recruit prisoners mod lets you attempt to recruit prisoners.

I actually use steam workshop for mods. I tried looking up some of the ones I have installed, on nexus, and wasn't finding them.

I have:
Animation overhaul mod-crafting.
Recruitable priosners - with dialogue
256 recruitment limit.
player town settlers -updated for 1.0
vagrants expanded.
npcss with robotic limbs
living world
expanded lighting
populated cities
nice map {zones and roads}
farm correction

all are pretty old. not sure if any current work is going on on the mod side.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Thanks Caliane Caliane !
Is there any downside to using "import"? I used it once to fix an issue, but I'm pretty sure it removed the food usage modifier that I had set when I started my new game? It seemed like my food consumption tripled after I imported a save, but I didn't see any other issues otherwise.

Caliane

not really, aside from could be considered cheating. resetting the world, repopulating loot, etc. could just farm a single outpost, instead of exploring the world.

• 1Like